+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: counseling

Bo is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag

counseling

I think i might take it up soon, I'll probably schedule an appointment with a counselor at my college sometime soon. I feel like i need it, but I haven't had very good experiences with counselors in the past so I'm hesitant about going back. And I felt like they had no idea what the fcuk they were talking about. But I figure since I want to major in psychology maybe I should have a little more faith. There's been a lot of things going on, I feel like I need help to sort it all out. I think I might be bi-polar, I'm not sure but I took screenings for bi-polar disorder. I realize it's just purely informational not a diagnosis.
    I'm still kind of up in arms about the idea of going to a counselor though...

Users Country Flag
    Oh and...who has had experience with anti-depressants? How did they work out for you?

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    are you serious?? i don't understand what could possibly be so hard in your life that you are in need of counseling. however, if a small fee i can be your counselor and you won't have to have that fear of stepping into my office. everything will be via the internet.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by .Bo. View Post
    Oh and...who has had experience with anti-depressants? How did they work out for you?
    I've been on an anti-depressant for about a month. Haven't noticed any difference yet.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Bipolar disorder is the "designer" mental illness of the decade. In the 90s, it was ADHD. Designer mental illnesses are fads, but the labels they stick on you last. I suggest you be careful about allowing someone to diagnose you with a mental illness. It's not as "cool" as you imagine, and you are probably nothing more than a young girl filled with angst that you will outgrow.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Bipolar disorder is the "designer" mental illness of the decade. In the 90s, it was ADHD. Designer mental illnesses are fads, but the labels they stick on you last. I suggest you be careful about allowing someone to diagnose you with a mental illness. It's not as "cool" as you imagine, and you are probably nothing more than a young girl filled with angst that you will outgrow.
    Be careful about how whimsically you throw around the idea that Bi-polar is just a fad diagnosis.

Do not rely on your own diagnosis for bi-polar. It's a pretty serious disease, and the symptoms are that you are really manic and then really depressed and that you are unable to control yourself. Many people who Bi-polar use sex as a coping mechanism but this is not always the case. One of my female friends is bi-polar (she has type one) which is the more serious. My ex was Bi-polar type 2. Stability is an impossibility.

Bi-polar people say something one day, and then change their minds the next day. very unstable. Pray you don't have it.

Go to a doctor if you need to. They are there for a reason. What do you think we're going to tell you to do? Not go? Vash is a nurse, but doctors need to see you in person in order to get a proper diagnosis.
    Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world

-Lily Tomlin

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollerderby View Post
    Be careful about how whimsically you throw around the idea that Bi-polar is just a fad diagnosis.
    Be careful about how whimsically you dismiss what I say. I did a rotation in a psych ward, and I know what a bipolar person looks like, and believe me when I say it isn't something that can be surpressed when it's convenient.

Have a look around these boards at all the people who claim to be bipolar. Anyone in their 30s or older will know it is VERY reminiscent of all the "ADHD" kids of the 90s. Psych diagnoses tend to be cyclical.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Be careful about how whimsically you dismiss what I say. I did a rotation in a psych ward, and I know what a bipolar person looks like, and believe me when I say it isn't something that can be surpressed when it's convenient.

Have a look around these boards at all the people who claim to be bipolar. Anyone in their 30s or older will know it is VERY reminiscent of all the "ADHD" kids of the 90s. Psych diagnoses tend to be cyclical.
    I know what you're saying about not wanting a label to stick, especially if they don't have it, and I do agree that add has been over diagnosed. But if she does have it you're advising her not to get help, and it's something that does require treatment.

OP, can you perhaps explain what exactly is going on in your life that you posted this? it isn't exactly specific at all, and especially when you bring up bi-polar it is helpful to give us something more to go on than "I don't want to go to a counselor but I think I have this."
    Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world

-Lily Tomlin

Users Country Flag
    Honestly I feel a bit uncomfortable sharing what made me come to this conclusion and posting about it but I will share some things. I've been depressed for a long time but i noticed over the past few years my anger level has gotten to the point where yes I go back and forth between extreme highs and lows and I can't control it. Reason why I say I can't control it is because I got arrested for hitting someone back towards the end of february when i disappeared for a while. That was really hard on me. I get VERY VERY angry and then depressed. Lots of other things too but I'm not going to go on about it. I get irritable very easily and I've had sleeping problems for quite some time.
    And vash...just wondering why is it a 'fad'? I don't know anyone who is thrilled to have a mental disorder and don't know very many ppl who are bi-polar either...I've never even thought of it that way.

I've been doing some research on it and I found far more similarities than I was even expecting but I like I mentioned I can't diagnose myself and I wouldn't try doing it for that matter anyway but I 'think' I might be.
    Last edited by Bo; 18-05-09 at 11:41 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    [url]http://articles.latimes.com/2007/sep/04/science/sci-bipolar4[/url]

Similar articles can be found regarding the LAST over-diagnosed psych disorder, ADD/ADHD.

For the record, what you described could also be characteristic of simple depression. It also could describe teenage angst. You could probably benefit from some therapy, but be careful about what you label yourself. You just might come across some nutjob who is willing to agree, and yes, that field is FULL of nutjobs.

Good luck.
    Last edited by vashti; 18-05-09 at 12:15 PM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    maybe i don't want to be your counselor if you're a violent person. i'm a very peaceful member of the community.

raverboy

a mental disorder in most cases is lazyness of the mind, when a person refuses to work on themselves and relies on drugs for the convenience of it.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    see i knew it, my alcohol addiction was only a scheme thought up by my parents and the doctors to get me to drink less. howeveri have found new truth and meaning from the liquor commercials on the television.

raverboy

Users Country Flag
    I don't like to think of myself as a violent person but a lot of the time I let my anger get the best of me when I lash out at people. And I really don't think it's teenage angst I got over that quite a while ago. Sometimes I'm really happy/hyper when nothing is even going the right way then it switches to being really depressed and just drained.
    I really don't know if it is depression then I guess I could just get over it on my own. I just hope there's nothing wrong with me because I never thought that my temper would ever put me in that position. It seems to be getting worse as I get older...

Users Country Flag
    The worst part about the arrest was that I hit someone I really cared about dearly and still do. I just completely fcuking lost my head for a while and by the time i realized what had happened it was too late.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast