+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vampire Power Consumption

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Vampire Power Consumption

Ever heard how much electricity is being used just by leaving your chargers plugged in?

Neither have I, but I told it's been significant enough that people are installing "home switches".

Here's what an electrician calculated about this "vampire consumption" that's all the rage these days.

One of the latest examples of sloppy journalism is vampire power consumption. Apparently my TV is ruining the environment due to it consuming massive amounts of power on standby. I must unplug my cell phone charger, TV, DVD player when I am not using it. If I don't I will melt the ice caps and destroy the world.
    I did some quick measurements and the math. My cell phone charger uses 54 micro amps while charging and 5 micro amps plugged in without the phone. If I leave my cell charger plugged in it will take 24 years for it to use one penny. My 50” plasma consumes 1.43 cents on standby in 30 days. My Wii and DVD player each use 1.21 cents a month. If you were so thoughtless to leave one million cell chargers plugged in it would cost $35.85 on your monthly electric bill.
    Food for thought.

Didn't you know.. save the environment is big business, it's a money maker and it makes for great headlines... END OF THE WORLD IS NEAR DUE TO CELL PHONE CHARGERS...

Be back in a month... I have to unplug my 900,000 cell phone chargers to save the world...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't give a ****. I still unplug all my chargers.
    Don't expect anything.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    I don't give a ****. I still unplug all my chargers.
    Yeah, but you're gay and un-american, so that makes sense.

I am a lazy bastard who can't get over his habits of unplugging things.
    Don't expect anything.

You know... you can either have a nice world with plenty of resources... or you can have a crappy, overpopulated world, with few resources.

People never learn. This green shit is too shortsighted.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Now, this is green!

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    You know... you can either have a nice world with plenty of resources... or you can have a crappy, overpopulated world, with few resources.

People never learn. This green shit is too shortsighted.
    I agree. We made a deal with the devil when we decided to drop gathering and started cultivating the land. Now we are slaves of our own land.
    Don't expect anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post

Now, this is green!
    That's brown, you jackass.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    That's brown, you jackass.
    "Brown" isn't as catchy, cunt face, now get on the bandwagon.

Americans especially are very ignorant of all the electrical wasting we do. It too for me to go abroad to Australia (where there is a severe water shortage) to really grasp all the tiny things we could do everyday to help save the environment. People just don't care. It's the worst when you have people living in apartments with utilities included... if they don't have to pay for it, they don't give a **** if it's on or off.
    Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world

-Lily Tomlin

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollerderby View Post
    Americans especially are very ignorant of all the electrical wasting we do. It too for me to go abroad to Australia (where there is a severe water shortage) to really grasp all the tiny things we could do everyday to help save the environment. People just don't care. It's the worst when you have people living in apartments with utilities included... if they don't have to pay for it, they don't give a **** if it's on or off.
    The point of the thread is that this "phantom power" or whatever is bullshit.

Of course you want to turn off appliances but leaving a charger plugged in while in use is so negligible in the grand scheme of things. Even leaving a million charges plugged isn't cause for any energy issues we're having.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I leave my computer on 24/7 and not in standby mode, either.

Take that you ****ing ice caps!
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    The point of the thread is that this "phantom power" or whatever is bullshit.

Of course you want to turn off appliances but leaving a charger plugged in while in use is so negligible in the grand scheme of things. Even leaving a million charges plugged isn't cause for any energy issues we're having.
    Oh I missed that part, I mis-read before.

I mean, I guess anything you do, even if it seems negligible still probably helps in the long run. If everyone unplugged, it may not seem so negligible, but I also get what you're saying. Either way, I'm not going to the trouble of unplugging my TV everyday, it ****s with my cable.
    Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world

-Lily Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I leave my computer on 24/7 and not in standby mode, either.

Take that you ****ing ice caps!
    I used to do this for quite some time with my older computer. It was a tower with a few too many things in it and a monster power supply. It was an energy guzzler. I used to run it as a server. Now the only thing I use it for is as a backup computer running linux in the event that my main computer dies on me.

As for the charger, I unplug all mine just because I've noticed some of them do tend to get warm when plugged in and the last thing I want is for one to short and burn down the house. I've always thought the idea of leaving in a charger drawing current and running up your bill was bs. Hell, having it plugged in and actually charging a device is next to nothing anyways.

Unless it's a laptop.
    Last edited by 1averagejoe; 25-05-09 at 11:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast