+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Persistent Fatigue

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Persistent Fatigue

Vashti and others, what can cause ongoing fatigue? I'm trying to prepare for exams and it's just like I'm in this fog that I can't shake off.

My routine is pretty heavy, but I was coping with it fine for the first 7-8 weeks of the semester. Now I'm in week 14 and right near the end. I've got a six week break coming up, so I just need to give it everything for the next three weeks.

So yeah, maybe rather than finding the cause, any suggestions for boosting energy?
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's probably just stress-related. I always had a hard time concentrating at the end of a semester.

I don't have anything more than the usual tricks - get your sleep, and be sure to exercise (try a quick walk around the block when you feel like you can't concentrate). Allow yourself a ten minute break every 2 hours to be in the sun. I personally find that I feel better and more energetic when my lunches consist of cheese and vege sandwiches with an apple and sugar snap peas as opposed to eating a burger and fries, but maybe that's a girl thing. Also, I always did better studying in the mornings (rather than the afternoons) when my schedule allowed. I don't know what your study style is, but when I was studying for my board exam, I paired up with the smartest student in the class (who was also the most neurotic about studying). She really kept us focused, but we wouldn't try to study more than 5 or 6 hours a day. There's only so much you can actually absorb in one sitting.
    Last edited by vashti; 03-06-09 at 12:31 PM.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    CB - I got mono when I was in my 2nd year uni. Check this out:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infectious_mononucleosis[/url]

If it sounds like you, go see a doc. They can test you for EBV/CMV. In my day, there wasn't much to do but rest A LOT (basically, I got thru my studies by force of will & then crashed hard on weekends). But they may be able to prescribe antivirals now.

Feel better.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Yeah, it might be just stress, but it might also be something a bit more serious. Take Vash's advice on eating and exercise. Nap if you have to. I used to write papers by napping for a half hour and then waking up to write. By then end of that semester I had vertigo.
    Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world

-Lily Tomlin

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    And if those things don't work, 5 hour energy worked for me ... Could've been placebo, but I believe it did something ...
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

How much sleep are you getting at the moment?

Doing too much can create stress which can cause fatigue, but on the other hand not having enough to do or nothing of interest to focus the mind on can also contribute.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    yeah I guess it's a combination of getting 5-6 hours sleep a night, persistent stress - it's a pressured job, and study is obvioulsy stressful. I''m not getting as much exercised as I'm used to (I used to exercise every day, now just a couple of surfs a week if I'm lucky). Plus I'm eating pretty badly just because I'm getting takeaway so much. I get home at 10pm most nights and I'm not going to cook then obviously.

I've also lost a considerable amount of weight. Maybe 10 pounds?

And I get fits of powerful lethargy. Before I made this thread, I got up at 10am, did nothing much. Went back to bed until 1pm. (It's my day off).

After I made the thread I went to the library and stayed there from 2-10pm and had great focus and got a lot done.
    Last edited by Charlie Boy II; 03-06-09 at 09:13 PM.
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

zu viel onanieren.

Go get a B-12 shot, CB. Really.

Also, you might need to change your eating habits. I used to have to be super careful with my energy when I was taking 20 credit hours and working 4 nights a week. I got very regimented about it. here's what worked:

Get up at 5, eat fruit, run 2 miles, shower and eat granola and yogurt.

For lunch, eat carbs- like pasta, maybe a sandwich. For dinner, salad with protein, like asian chicken salad or cold salmon on field greens with dill dressing.

Cut down on drinking anything but lots of water- very little coffee, sugar, or alcohol.

Beware of energy drinks- they're kind of like taking out a high-interest short-term loan. That boost has to come from somewhere, and the drink isn't providing it, it's just facilitating it. Ultimately, they're more tiring than they are enlivening.

If you take vitamins, try going with liquid drops in orange juice or the effervescent kind. Better absorption than tablets.

Have sex. You need this to relieve stress.

Maybe you should get a caretaker-type girlfriend who would take care of you.
    Spammer Spanker

Sounds like mental fatigue, caused by lack of sleep, being overworked and stressed out.

Take a day off. Put the studies on a lower priority for a day and relax, have a good 8 to 10 hour sleep.

You'll notice you'll feel more alert and perform a LOT better the next day.

Many students burn themselves out during the exam period. Don't be one of them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spirulina is like rocket fuel, i take it every day. it has every possible nutrient that you need, it has all the b vits all naturally. look it up, not enough people seem to know about this food
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

I agree that spirulina is great.
    Spammer Spanker

Actually, I think you just need POWER THIRST!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs"]YouTube - Powerthirst[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3qncy5Qfk"]YouTube - Powerthirst 2: Re-Domination[/ame]

Drink Booty Sweat! Eat a Busta Nut bar!
    Spammer Spanker

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Just think of all the money you'll have once you are practicing. That should help also. Then you can hire someone to cook/clean for you.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast