+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How can I get my SO to make new friends?

How can I get my SO to make new friends?

I'd like for my fiancee to meet more female friends. This is something she actually says from time to time, I don't really know what to do to help her though.

I've been with my fiancee for 7 years, we've lived together for 3 and we're both in our late 20s

She had a few close friends in highschool and she had a few close friends in college but after that most of her friends moved to different parts of the country.

I went to college a few years longer than she did and during that time she became good friends with most of my friends and didn't have very many friends of her own.

Since college, most of my close friends again moved all over the country.

As it is now we have another couple that we are mutual friends with but they have a couple children and even though we see them nearly every week they're not really in the same life stage as my fiancee and I (we're not even sure we ever what to have children).

I don't usually have trouble making friends, once we were settled in our house I found a car club and have made a lot of new friends through that.

Really I'd like for her to make some female friends because I while I love spending time with her I think it would be healthy for her to have a life outside of our relationship and her work.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things I could encourage her to do?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    She needs to cultivate a hobby.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottfried View Post
    Take her to the titty bar.
    Another sarcasm?

So now to OP , is she working? Cause at work she could meet new friends,as it usually happens.Send her maybe to fitness club,there is a lot of women and I'm sure she could meet there somebody. I dunno what more...
    I wazzzz here

She meets a lot of people at her work but they're typically much much older than her and she doesn't have all that much time to socialize, she's been at the same job for years now so I would think if she was going to make friends through work she would have.

She does work out regularly but it's a combination of lifting weights at home and going out for a run... maybe I could get her a gift cert for a yoga class or something.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If she runs, there are a lot of running clubs. My sister (a runner) made a lot of good friends through hers.

I don't suggest pushing the work angle, but then again, I am not one to mix business and pleasure all that much.

yeah, I agree... I mean I don't dislike anyone I work with, but I also don't want to spend time with them outside of work

Running club seems like a good idea but I know she likes going for runs mostly to help clear her head/be alone with her thoughts, I don't think she enjoys it so much as she likes doing it for health reasons (mental and physical). Doing a quick search it doesn't seem like there are any in our immediate area and the ones that I have found seem like they're mostly men.
    Last edited by wallflower23; 05-06-09 at 11:07 PM.