+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bitchy coworkers

Bitchy coworkers

So I'm having this drama at work that I really need to vent about. Basically I had a misunderstanding with a coworker (let's call her Coworker A) in which she took an opinon I had about her work the wrong way. I'm a believer in sharing my opinions at work however unpopular they may be, and to be honest it was gentle constructive criticism at best. So, I knew that after this happened, she wouldn't be my biggest fan, but I figured it would all blow over eventually.

So I come to find out that now, another person (Coworker B), who is a teamate in my department, who has decided that for whatever reason she doesn't like me and is starting to fuel animosity between this woman and me. Coworker B is basically emailing Coworker A and telling her that I'm talking shit about her, which I'm totally NOT doing. It's like teenagers passing notes in class.

WTF...I don't get it. Not only is Coworker B causing unnecessary distress to me as well as Coworker A, but is also undermining the entire team that Coworker A has to get along with.

Where does this bitchiness come from? Boredom at work? PMS? I've been at this job 3 weeks and have been very nice to Coworker B. I'm pretty stunned by this behavior quite frankly.

Should I confront Coworker B? Right now I'm just letting my boss handle it, but I'm really, really tempted to confront Coworker B myself. I'm afraid that might cause extra drama though.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

is it your job to give criticism for the betterment of the team? or was it just sharing your thoughts?
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    is it your job to give criticism for the betterment of the team? or was it just sharing your thoughts?
    I was just sharing my thoughts. Basically the copy we got for an ad didn't meet the client's objective. So I said word-for-word, "Coworker A, I think you're a great writer, but this copy is almost exactly the same as in the ad they rejected."

She acted like I had slapped her in the face. WAY overreacted. But everyone else on the project agreed with me and made her change it.
    Last edited by starbuck; 09-06-09 at 08:15 AM.

yikes that's a tough one cos i totally agree; you were giving her friendly advice. she should be able to react like a mature adult, it's not your fault but unfortunately some people are too sensitive. i guess now at this point it's too late to make ammends and if she becomes too much have another chat with her and explain how you are feeling otherwise unfortunately it's best to try to ignore her and her little bitchy mate. it may take some time due to the fact she likely is feeling humiliated, maybe next time a similar situation happens let the boss reject the idea
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 09-06-09 at 08:24 AM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Ignoring the situation does not prevent workplace violence.

What is workplace violence?

Most people think of violence as a physical assault. However, workplace violence is a much broader problem. It is any act in which a person is abused, threatened, intimidated or assaulted in his or her employment.

Rumours, swearing, verbal abuse, pranks, arguments, property damage, vandalism, sabotage, pushing, theft, physical assaults, psychological trauma, anger-related incidents, rape, arson and murder are all examples of workplace violence.

What are warning signs of a troubled person or employee?

Workplace violence can start as small incidents involving negative remarks and inappropriate behaviour. It may escalate to physical or psychological violence.

It is much easier to prevent violence by stopping small incidents than trying to deal with the aftermath of a major crisis.

It is extremely important to understand that the following behaviours do not mean a person will become violent, but they may indicate that the person is experiencing high levels of stress. Each situation is unique and professional judgement or outside assistance may be necessary to determine if intervention is necessary.

Always take particular note if:

There is a change in their behaviour patterns.
    The frequency and intensity of the behaviours are disruptive to the work environment.
    The person is exhibiting many of these behaviours, rather than just a few.

Warning signs include:

Crying, sulking or temper tantrums
    Excessive absenteeism or lateness
    Disregard for the health and safety of others
    Disrespect for authority
    Increased mistakes or errors, or unsatisfactory work quality
    Refusal to acknowledge job performance problems
    Faulty decision making
    Testing the limits to see what they can get away with
    Swearing or emotional language
    Overreacting to criticism
    Making inappropriate statements
    Forgetfulness, confusion and/or distraction
    Inability to focus
    Blaming others for mistakes
    Complaints of unfair treatment
    Talking about the same problems repeatedly without resolving them
    Insistence that he or she is always right
    Misinterpretation of communications from supervisors or co-workers
    Social isolation
    Personal hygiene is poor or ignored
    Sudden and/or unpredictable change in energy level
    Complaints of unusual and/or non-specific illnesses

Are there physical signs that a person may be becoming violent?

Sometimes it is not what a person says, but what their body is "doing". Use caution if you see someone who shows one or more of the following "non-verbal" signs or body language.

Red-faced or white-faced
    Sweating
    Pacing, restless, or repetitive movements
    Trembling or shaking
    Clenched jaws or fists
    Exaggerated or violent gestures
    Change in voice
    Loud talking or chanting
    Shallow, rapid breathing
    Scowling, sneering or use of abusive language
    Glaring or avoiding eye contact
    Violating your personal space (they get too close)

What are other warning signs of a potentially violent person?

In some cases, there has been a clear pattern of warning signs before a violent incident. When you can, take note of:

History of violence

Fascination with weapons, acts of violence, or both
    Demonstrated violence towards inanimate objects
    Evidence of earlier violent behaviour
    Threatening behaviour

States intention to hurt someone (can be verbal or written)
    Holds grudges
    Excessive behaviour (e.g. phone calls, gift giving)
    Escalating threats that appears well-planned
    Preoccupation with violence
    Intimidating behaviour

Argumentative
    Displays unwarranted anger
    Uncooperative, impulsive, easily frustrated
    Challenges peers and authority figures
    Increase in personal stress

An unreciprocated romantic obsession
    Serious family or financial problems
    Recent job loss
    Negative personality characteristics

Suspicious of others
    Believes he/she is entitled to something
    Cannot take criticism
    Feels victimized
    Shows a lack of concern for the safety or well-being of others
    Blames others for his problems or mistakes
    Low self-esteem
    Marked changes in mood or behaviour

Extreme or bizarre behaviour
    Irrational beliefs and ideas
    Appears depressed or expresses hopelessness or heightened anxiety
    Marked decline in work performance
    Socially isolated

History of negative interpersonal relationships
    Few family or friends
    Sees the company as a "family"
    Has an obsessive involvement with his or her job
    Abuses drugs or alcohol

What can I do if I am concerned?

Take action.

If you are an employee, you can report your concerns to your supervisor, or human resources department. You can also get advice from your employee assistance program (EAP) if you have one. Find out if you have a violence prevention program in your workplace and what you should do -- if not, encourage your employer to develop one.

If you are an employer, you should know that many organizations are developing workplace violence prevention policies and programs. In fact, programs are required in many jurisdictions. A program is the best way to prevent workplace violence because it takes a very structured, well thought out approach to identifying hazards and reducing the risks for your organization. If your organization has a program, great! You should be fully aware of the policy and procedures developed to help keep your workplace safe. If you do not have a program, you should consider developing one. Remember, employers have a legal obligation to provide employees with a safe workplace. This obligation includes providing a workplace free from workplace violence.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yikes, that is so stressful. I was reading Yggie's post, and it strikes me as so crazy that emotional behavior is so categorized. You're team mate whom you made the comment to should be able to confront you, but now for whatever reason, I believe she has become intimidated by you. For whatever reason, she took your comment the wrong way. Your comment was intended harmless. She was embarrassed?

Maybe you could invite her out to lunch or coffee and try to talk to her politely. Say how you know about the rumors that are going around but that they are untrue. Hopefully she will understand.
    Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world

-Lily Tomlin

I like Derby's idea of taking A out to lunch and bonding a little, this may be all that's needed to end this particular episode. Though if it doesn't work you may need to have a discussion with your boss about some kind of a meeting where the issue can be raised so everything comes out in the open.

I can't stand workplace drama. This day and age people misinterpret things and sulk so easily.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

I concur, things like this have to be either attempted to be worked out between the employees and if that doesn't work brought in the open via management before they escalate and poison the workplace environment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just bitchslap the women, and tell them to get back out on the street corner until they have your money.

Keep your pimp hand strong little sister!
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

hire me for your team and i'll kick that bitches ass and appease your client!
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Why don't you simply ask coworker B (in front of coworker A) who told her such ridiculous lies?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Screw taking her out and bonding. Do your job to the best of your ability and continue to offer your criticism. This isn't kindergarten. It isn't your responsibility to worry over someone else's emotional BS.

Better yet, screw her. Assuming it has no negative impact on you, let her churn out shitty work until the boss wises up and kicks her ass to the curb.

Gawd, I despise people who can't just go to work, do their jobs and go home.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people love drama.

Gribble and Vash, those were actually my sentiments exactly. My first instinct was to confront Coworker B and ask her why she was trying to deliberately fuel animosity. But I think I should at least let my boss try and deal with it first.

Gribble, I totally agree with you. And while I'm trying to be fair about my opinions, I feel like some people feel like others aren't allowed to offer them unless they're 100% flowering praise. I went through art school and spent ten years in advertisting where people RIP your work apart without a second thought. You learn to have a thick skin about it and not take it personally. Or you learn to stick up for your work in a way that's calm and collected and still acknowledges the others' points of view.

It's quite possible that I'm too blunt sometimes. And I'll take full responsibility if I said something insensitive to someone. I know I got off on the wrong foot with the writer and was hoping that in time, it would blow over. The fact that Coworker B is deliberately trying to make someone else hate me, astounds me though. She must really have nothing else going on in her life to be so interested in mine. I actually just pity both of them.

And Gottfried, I live in NYC. It's so expensive here the hookers have to temp during the day.
    Last edited by starbuck; 09-06-09 at 06:53 PM.

By the way, we're also supposed to be having a "clear the air" lunch today, which I'm dreading. I sort of feel like we're all being forced into the pen to "play nice" and it's going to be awkward as hell.

Better yet, on Wednesday my boss is going on vacation for a week and leaving me in charge of Coworker B.

Whee! Fun stuff.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast