+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Are pet names always flirtacious?

Are pet names always flirtacious?

My ex calls me pet names, and it makes me kind of uncomfortable. I don't know if her intentions are to get back with me or if she's just being nice. I don't flirt back, but what would you do in this situation?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...owl eyes

Tell her that you prefer to be called by your real name, no longer by pet or nicknames.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

I don't think pet names are flirtatious maybe a sign of compassion or affection even thoughtfulness, people give me pet names all the time it's a common thing here where I come from, even people I will never see again like the pizza delivery guy, the traffic cop ect.

But if you feel uncomfortable with it then tell her...
    also think it depends on the pet name whether it's inappropriate or not.

You should actually put a stop to it now, I can see a present or future boyfriend having issues with it mainly cause it's you EX.

Just say like "I've got a name, use it" maybe in a jokey sense but make it known that your serious with a frown or something.

Or like "why must people always give me pet names, I hate it" then he will get the idea that he isn't the only one giving you pet names and it doesn't make him special (even if he is the only one) and at the same time he will see that you don't like it.

Every time he slips up give him a dirty look or kick him LOL.
    Live your life to the fullest and let the regrets of today be lessons for tomorrow

Since it's your ex, I'd say set a boundary by telling her you would appreciate being called by your actual name and not by some pet name. Maybe also remind her your relation with her is over and you believe that you have the right to be treated with the respect you deserve. If she can't handle that, she may want to reconsider hanging out around you.

Either way, I'd say a boundary is in place here.
    Last edited by Yggdrasil; 09-06-09 at 10:17 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Maybe she's just used to call you by pet name, be generous and let her know in a non harsh way if you dont feel comfortable with that.
    What could change the nature of a man?

Pet names are an indirect verbal method of establishing that a bond exists outside of simple friendship and acquaintance. (By 'pet names' I'm assuming we're talking about something outside of normal dialect for your area)

All that matters is that you're uncomfortable. Ask her to stop. You don't have to be her schmoopiekins if you don't want to be.

Exactly. She's trying to show that you're still "hers" even though you aren't together any more. She might as well pee on your pantleg. Tell her to knock it off, or better yet, come up with a really annoying nick name of your own for her, like "bimbokins".
    Spammer Spanker

Man, that's sketchy as hell. Send an SOS flair in the air and get the hell out.

I don't like her behaviour at all. she seems like the type that wants to contol you. i would run away - and fast!
    Spank me.