+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: who wrote the Bible?

Chosen Disciples recorded the bible. Each of them were chosen to document things, I believe.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    well considering that the bible is a bunch of stories, a lot of different people wrote the bible.

i'm not 100% sure, but i think the chapters or whatever you call the break up is sections by authors.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ohfercrissakes.

Ho Gribble!! Oi!

Where are my Atheist Pamphlets already? Dig needs some too.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Oh, and not that it matters b/c the bible is just a collection of badly written fiction, but its very common for religious folk to confuse evolution and abiogenesis.

A couple thousand years from now, Potterism (aka Harry Potter books) will be a thriving religion too.

That's alright tho. My descendants will be thriving in space.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Snoop Dogg, Lil'Wayne and Jay-z wrote the bible. Its more modern version is called "Hightimes."

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't believe chosen disciples actually wrote all the books of the bible. Some parts were written 200 years after the death of Christ. People died when they were 30 back then. It was an oral history, passed on over generations until someone decided to write it down.

Basically, it's like a game of telephone. You start with one person on one end of a line that passes the story onto the next person, and by the time you get to the end of the line, the story told by the first guy in line and the last guy in line don't match up. The story gets a little embellished or mucked up each time a new person tells it. When it comes to holy books, that explains a LOT.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

i actually didn't mean the New Testament, I was wondering about the Old. how was it known that God created everything.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Indignant View Post
    i actually didn't mean the New Testament, I was wondering about the Old. how was it known that God created everything.
    he didn't create everything, instead head down the science section of the library and you'll find more information that you'll know what to do with.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
    he didn't create everything, instead head down the science section of the library and you'll find more information that you'll know what to do with.

raverboy
    blah............
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Quote Originally Posted by Indignant View Post
    God told Adam, but he forgot to write it down and thus was bitch slapped out of Eden. So God told Moses instead.

It's what others said there is no exact date, both were written over centuries. Old testament is dated back to c 950 BCE to c 400 BCE. All answers you seek are on the link I posted.

What fascinates me about the Bible is the summary of traditions that people inserted into it over those centuries. It's a good historical document that describes accurately how people used to live which ideals and virtues they followed and passed to the next generations. Given that this is the world's most popular Religion, it must contain some very unique ideas that helped an enormous amount of people to survive in order to propagate it over these millenniums. I think it has a lot of interesting stories with lessons.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    i had a nasty discussion at work with a lady that goes to a Spiritual Center that believes in both the Bible and evolution. so i asked her who wrote the Bible, to which she explained that many people wrote it and then pieced it together into one book.
    Yup, most bible scholars think this. It's the religious fundamentalists that believe God wrote it.

I also agree with Gribble that belief in God can coexist with evolution (if that was where he was going).

what about the earth being 5,769 or so years old, and in fact 96 million?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Only the religious fundamentalists believe the bible is the literal word of God. That is why more progressive people (and bible scholars) can reconcile the conflicts, but the fundamentalists can't.

You need to watch some Zeitgeist.com and/or the History International channel.

NT- after disciples spread the known world, a few scholars sat down and wrote it.

OT- There are similar stories in earlier cultures and religions. One theory I heard the other day had to do with the snake in the Garden of Eden, that it was a god from an older religion, not the devil.

Not literally. But saying that in Egypt, the Snake was highly revered and was a powerful god, although I forget who. So by the OT God coming and claiming the world as his, he defeated the older god, and thus more powerful, thus truer religion.

I think it can be said that these things existed, because oral tradition was much more strict than it is today. This was their entertainment, and teachings. No internet to distract. They were told these stories day in and day out. I guess in most creation stories there is usually a garden, but humanity was kicked out for some reason or another. Gilgamesh is one example.
    Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world

-Lily Tomlin

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well, according to the Creation Museum, God is a relativistic being. This means that 1GY (God Year) is approx 750,000AY (Actual Year).

This actually makes the recorded Biblical Age of Earth (AOE) the same as the Actual (AOE), which we all know is approx 4.5 billion years.

See? Its all completely consistent. Just like when religion had to acknowledge evolution theory & it all made perfect sense too.

Occam's Razor anyone?

(and, no, the CM did NOT come up with this explanation--they aren't that clever)
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast