+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: who wrote the Bible?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollerderby View Post
    OT- There are similar stories in earlier cultures and religions. One theory I heard the other day had to do with the snake in the Garden of Eden, that it was a god from an older religion, not the devil.
    There are stories in almost every culture about the boogeyman as well, Derby. That doesn't make it true or real.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    There are stories in almost every culture about the boogeyman as well, Derby. That doesn't make it true or real.
    The point is not whether they are true or real. The point is that folklore has a way of evolving, and most likely our biblical stories have descended from earlier stories. Stories were not histories back then. They were a way of communicating things about nature, cultural ideas about the universe, and as far as stories about the boogeyman goes, keeping children in line.
    Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world

-Lily Tomlin

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    OT- There are similar stories in earlier cultures and religions. One theory I heard the other day had to do with the snake in the Garden of Eden, that it was a god from an older religion, not the devil.
    Satan wasn't "the devil" in the Garden of Eden stories, either. Christianity invented the devil.

I agree Vash. I'm coming from a christian upbringing, so I know that many people mistakenly think that the devil is the snake. If you don't mind my asking, what were you taught the snake was?

Edit: I just re-read what you wrote. What the difference to you as far as Satan and the devil is concerned?

-Lily Tomlin

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I agree Vash. I'm coming from a christian upbringing, so I know that many people mistakenly think that the devil is the snake. If you don't mind my asking, what were you taught the snake was?
    A snake.

Speculation exists (of course) about Satan, but Satan isn't "the Devil" as is understood by Christians. Satan acts as an agent of God, and almost exclusively with God's permission.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The point is not whether they are true or real. The point is that folklore has a way of evolving, and most likely our biblical stories have descended from earlier stories. Stories were not histories back then. They were a way of communicating things about nature, cultural ideas about the universe, and as far as stories about the boogeyman goes, keeping children in line.
    Yep, I'll give you that. The bible does seem to contain what seems to be 'common wisdom' *for the times*. Warnings about types of foods and that kind of thing.

This is where my mind just fails to wrap around why so many take the bible literally. I mean, most of them don't seem to have a problem with medicos not following Hippocratic writings instead of the more modern 'Principles'.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    A snake.
    LOL! Okay, if I had to pick a religion, I think mbe Feynman had it right. Jewish seems the most pragmatic I've heard of so far.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

This is where my mind just fails to wrap around why so many take the bible literally. I mean, most of them don't seem to have a problem with medicos not following Hippocratic writings instead of the more modern 'Principles'.
    I think it's to do with victim mentality, I think it's at the core of fundamentalism. They look at the polluted world we live in and conclude it's the way it is because we don't follow the word of God as closely as we suppose to (which is partly true, I think the world would be a better place with a bit more humility, imagine everyone acting like Jesus) so they bury their head in the sand. Though, the ironic thing is that for some people fundamentalism turns them into exact same thing they are fighting against.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

A snake.

Speculation exists (of course) about Satan, but Satan isn't "the Devil" as is understood by Christians. Satan acts as an agent of God, and almost exclusively with God's permission.
    LOL on the snake part. That is interesting about Satan. It also makes a lot more sense considering people believe God to be "all powerful, all knowing".

I know of the Hippocratic writings, but I am not sure what you mean by the more modern principles. Unless you are speaking of health insurance, and the necessity to have it in order to be looked at/worked on.

-Lily Tomlin

Satan wasn't "the devil" in the Garden of Eden stories, either. Christianity invented the devil.

It's somewhat similar with the name Lucifer.

In Latin, the word "Lucifer", meaning "Light-Bringer" (from lux, lucis, "light", and ferre, "to bear, bring"), is a name for the "Morning Star" (the planet Venus in its dawn appearances). (Wikipedia).

The scholars authorized by King James I to translate the Bible into current English did not use the original Hebrew texts, but used versions translated largely by St. Jerome in the fourth century.

Jerome had mistranslated the Hebraic metaphor, "Day star, son of the Dawn," as "Lucifer" and over the centuries a metamorphosis took place.

Lucifer the morning star became a disobedient angel, cast out of heaven to rule eternally in hell. Theologians, writers, and poets interwove the myth with the doctrine of the Fall, and in Christian tradition Lucifer is now the same as Satan, the Devil, and, ironically, the Prince of Darkness.

The irony for those who believe that Lucifer refers to Satan is that the same title (Morning Star, Bringer of Light, Lucifer) is used to refer to Jesus in 2 Peter 1:19 and in Revelations 22:16.

2 Peter 1:19 19 And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the Morning Star rises in your hearts.

Revelations 22:16 I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.

This just goes to show how interpretations change over time and how myths are being created.
    Last edited by Yggdrasil; 19-06-09 at 01:25 PM. Reason: typos
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It also makes a lot more sense considering people believe God to be "all powerful, all knowing".
    What people? I can assure you that plenty of people (even the religious) don't consider God either one.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I know of the Hippocratic writings, but I am not sure what you mean by the more modern principles. Unless you are speaking of health insurance, and the necessity to have it in order to be looked at/worked on.
    Sorry. Its a standard medical text for first year. Principles and Practice of Medicine. Google it.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

LOL on the snake part. That is interesting about Satan. It also makes a lot more sense considering people believe God to be "all powerful, all knowing".
    According to the story the snake was a peaceful creature living in Eden, Satan (or Lilith depending on what you read) possessed it to take it's form that one time (could've happened to anyone).

It's interesting to see people try to look into these stories to find some kind of a meaning of what separates sin from virtue on the never ending quest of finding out what paths to take to become better in our own lives. Even in the bible understanding of these is very complicated. It seems even most saints wonder the paths of darkness at some point in time.

Has anyone read Milton's Paradise Lost?
    Last edited by Mish; 19-06-09 at 01:27 PM.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

[url]http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/[/url] This is the link I meant. Whether you believe it or not, it's an interesting theory.

Vash, that's a strange idea that you wouldn't consider God either. But I suppose it depends on your outlook of who/what God is. If you consider God to be what the Bible teaches (that God created everything, and a divine plan for all creation) then it seems that not thinking him all knowing or all powerful would be a lack of faith.

However, if you look at God as simply the one who got the ball rolling, and then sat back to watch creation unfold without getting involved, then no he wouldn't be omnipotent, would he? The first is what the mind of man conceives him to be, an all knowing parent who is looking after us, who have faith.

Christianity has tried to reconcile these two views by using the "Holy Trinity" The holy spirit is like the spark, the smaller part of God that can seep into the crevasses and see all there is to see. God, is the big bang universe that the human mind cannot conceive of.

But I'm curious to hear your view on the people you know who don't consider him either.

It's funny, my religion teacher used to tell us that people who studied religion would find themselves having a "lack of faith" moment. "Here, study the Bible kids, but don't try to analyze it too hard, less you might loose your faith."

-Lily Tomlin

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Indignant View Post
    blah............
    probably unlike you, i don't believe in a god.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast