+ Follow This Topic
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: who wrote the Bible?

humans are a complicated bunch, not as simple as animals. because we are emotional (well most of us) many people want to believe. yes children are influenced by what their parents believe and it's usually harmonious. but as they grow up and are exposed to more and more information out there they will decide for themselves. i somehow think that trying to convince teens and children to disagree with how they have been brought up can only cause more problems. taking into account all the pressures and emotions kids go through adding another possibly conflicting idea can increase their unhappiness if pushed down their throats.

in the ideal world kids would be taught about all religions including atheism equally but as yet humans have not evolved to that point.

i don't think anyone should be creating brochures and trying to sell the idea of athiesm or any religion for that matter.

everyone to their own beliefs.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I believe that religion is a relic from the past. I believe it is barbaric, in many cases cruel, vile and evil. (Most people strip the bad bits away and pretend they were never there to begin with). I believe that the human race needs to discard that vestige of the past if it is to progress at an appropriate rate.

I don't want children to suffer and die because some people think maybe their god doesn't like stem cell research. I don't want people to have any commonly accepted resource at hand to justify their hatred of another person. I don't want children brainwashed by their parents into denying science and reason in favor of a literal interpretation of a collection of myths and legends.

Atheism isn't a group, really, and I hate to turn it into one. The more I think about it the more I realize it's best to leave things as they are. Religion is in its death throes. I want to speed that up, but maybe the best thing to do is just to sit back and let things run their course.
    Last edited by Gribble; 20-06-09 at 06:39 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

in fairness to religion itself, religion has been used as a tool by humans who want power over others and therefore has given religion a bad name. it's how religion has been interpreted by power obsessed people. if there was no religion out there humans would still try to have power over others using other tools available to them.

religion gives people a sense of community. a sense of belonging which is slowly being eroded even with non religious groups. people are slowly becoming more and more disconnected from each other and convincing the world that it's best not to believe will imo disconnect them even more.

just my thoughts
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    you won't sit around waiting for a good man to drop on your lap, but instead take a bad one and mold what you want out of him.
    This made me LOL.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post

i don't think anyone should be creating brochures and trying to sell the idea of athiesm or any religion for that matter.
    Precisely! So, my purpose would be to have these on hand for when some religious group comes to my door with their bumpf.

Gribble, I'll have to see how much I can spare for this project. I wonder if I could spin it as an advertising expense. Or mbe 'educational materials'.

Wait! Shouldn't it be tax-deductable? I bet those churches get to write their advertising off as an expense.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Oh, pish. I'm not taking your money. I actually like you.

It would be nice to have something to thrust into the faces of Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, true.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

^^lol thats fair enough

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Someone will do it. The idea just needs to be tossed out into the ether. Google Power... hohhhhhhh!

Atheism Brochure. We need one.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Oh, pish. I'm not taking your money. I actually like you.

It would be nice to have something to thrust into the faces of Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, true.
    Good luck with that.

A friend of mine is Jewish. I mean, you can't miss it, he's Jewish. Everything about him says so.

One day some people knock on his door, so he opens the door. And like I said, you can't miss it, he's Jewish, payot, beard, tzitzits, tallit ketan,...

For over 3 hours these people who turned out to be JW's tried to convince him he should accept god.

Talk about total ignorance.
    Last edited by Yggdrasil; 20-06-09 at 08:28 AM. Reason: typo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well, that's b/c he didn't invite them in for matzo and a good threshing. He was polite.

I've never heard of a jewish travelling salesman. Do they even exist?
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRdfX7ut8gw"]YouTube - Fiddler on the roof - Tradition ( with subtitles )[/ame]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    whoa.. this is a lot of pages for me to read about religion...SO i'm going to skip it all.

anyhow, doesn't buddhism believe in reincarnation and karma and crap like that?? ok so you might not think it's crap, but like higher beings and an after life... i don't see it in my future. i will return to a bunch of lifeless cells, slowly rotting away and being consumed by maggots.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

I myself was having a problem with the christian community always assuming "truth" from a document that was written by other people, so I confronted one of the pastors about it.

Allegedly there has been a selection of "suitable" and "unsuitable" copies of the bible to ensure that it is the same or close to the same as the original, instead of being tampered with for other purposes.

And secondly that the bible should always be considered sort of poetic and up to interpretation rather than stating absolute fact (which sort of conflicts with what I mentioned at first), which is why the 7 days are interpreted as "7 days for god". And essentially it is this wishy-washyness that allows for these interpretations to be molded to fit and remain whenever the scriptures are proven wrong or immoral.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    which is why the 7 days are interpreted as "7 days for god". And essentially it is this wishy-washyness that allows for these interpretations to be molded to fit and remain whenever the scriptures are proven wrong or immoral.
    You mean, they are actually *saying* this^ crap? LOL, my prev post was made as a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Well, according to the Creation Museum, God is a relativistic being. This means that 1GY (God Year) is approx 750,000AY (Actual Year).

This actually makes the recorded Biblical Age of Earth (AOE), 6000 years, the same as the Actual (AOE), which we all know is approx 4.5 billion years.

See? Its all completely consistent. Just like when religion had to acknowledge evolution theory & it all made perfect sense too.

Occam's Razor anyone?
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Occam's Razor anyone?
    Occam's Razor calls bullshit.

(this introduces the fewest assumptions and postulates the fewest entities, in total agreement with Occam's Razor ).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast