+ Follow This Topic
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: who wrote the Bible?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    i had a nasty discussion at work with a lady that goes to a Spiritual Center that believes in both the Bible and evolution. so i asked her who wrote the Bible, to which she explained that many people wrote it and then pieced it together into one book.
    haha i argued about that same thing and more with someone at work today.

we argued

1. who wrote the bible
    2. is adam and eve their real names
    3. science, evolution, adam and eve
    4. is god true?
    - no one has seen god except from whats writtin in the bible.
    - what does god look like and why does he have to be white and with a beard?
    - who REALLY created the world.

we decided that its people's beliefs, faiths, evidence (science, evolution) that make up these stuff.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post

Allegedly there has been a selection of "suitable" and "unsuitable" copies of the bible to ensure that it is the same or close to the same as the original, instead of being tampered with for other purposes.
    There are significant differences in translation between the Christian translations and the Hebrew. For example, the word used to supposedly predict the pending birth of Jesus (almah) is translated to "virgin" in Christian translations, whereas in the Hebrew, the word is used to describe a young, unmarried woman. Also, the way god is frequently referred to in the bible (in Hebrew) is actually pluralized (Elohim = gods), but you will not ever see it translated that way.

My point is, the bible has definitely been tampered with for other purposes. In fact, I consider the entire New Testament as nothing more than propaganda meant to promote a new religion while discrediting a preexisting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    And secondly that the bible should always be considered sort of poetic and up to interpretation rather than stating absolute fact (which sort of conflicts with what I mentioned at first), which is why the 7 days are interpreted as "7 days for god". And essentially it is this wishy-washyness that allows for these interpretations to be molded to fit and remain whenever the scriptures are proven wrong or immoral.

I agree with you here. I don't know why people are inclined to believe the bible is a history book; to me the Hebrew portion has always been meant as a book of fables that reflect the time in history in which they were written.
    Last edited by vashti; 21-06-09 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post

My point is, the bible has definitely been tampered with for other purposes. In fact, I consider the entire New Testament as nothing more than propaganda meant to promote a new religion while discrediting a preexisting one.

I agree with you here. I don't know why people are inclined to believe the bible is a history book; to me the Hebrew portion has always been meant as a book of fables that reflect the time in history in which they were written.
    Just to clarify, what I wrote is what the pastor said, and not what I believe myself.

The problem I have with the bible is how people claim absolute truth from something that is poetic and up for personal interpretation. It just doesn't make sense. I'd far sooner trust a history book.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    what if i said that i didn't write the bible, but i help make it into an online version.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Ok.. ok.. I'll let out the secret.

I wrote the bible..

Yes, I did it.. Don't look so surprised.. I'll even explain why I did it and how made this ellaborate hoax come true.

I wrote the entire thing, from start to finish. It took me 23 years.

My reason was to trick mankind into thinking there was some invisible, all powerfull being in the universe.

At the time, it sounded like a great joke, so yeah... I wrote the book.

Then I used the time machine I invented and build and flashed myself back to 2500 BC and spread multiple copies around.

I am serious... I mean.. you guys have heard about ghosts, paranormal phenomena and all that stuff, right?

And no.. I can't prove it.. I destroyed the time machine after I returned to the present time and the original copies are long gone.

You'll just have to take my word for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    it's funny because i claim the same thing.

what a coincidence.

raverboy

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You are both egomanics, cut from the same cloth. One drunk, one dry. LOL.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    oooooooh.. does that mean i'm a wet one??

raverboy

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Atheism isn't a group, really, and I hate to turn it into one. The more I think about it the more I realize it's best to leave things as they are. Religion is in its death throes. I want to speed that up, but maybe the best thing to do is just to sit back and let things run their course.
    Religion is actually not in death throes. The vast majority of people on this planet are Religious and their numbers are growing (not declining). Atheists in the west are hardly growing in numbers but are more routed away from traditional Christianity and into an array of a whole host of other faiths which are compatible with their personalities. A lot of people seem to have some kind of a natural resistance to lack of beliefs. They want to believe. Maybe, it makes life more enjoyable.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
    it's funny because i claim the same thing.

what a coincidence.

raverboy
    Copycat ... I WAS FIRST. Therefore my claim is the original one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    no you didn't, i just edited your post... muhahaha

raverboy

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
    no you didn't, i just edited your post... muhahaha

raverboy
    plagiarist.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    Religion is actually not in death throes. The vast majority of people on this planet are Religious and their numbers are growing (not declining). Atheists in the west are hardly growing in numbers but are more routed away from traditional Christianity and into an array of a whole host of other faiths which are compatible with their personalities. A lot of people seem to have some kind of a natural resistance to lack of beliefs. They want to believe. Maybe, it makes life more enjoyable.
    A man might call himself a Christian but he doesn't think twice about having sex out of wedlock. He doesn't go to church. He doesn't pray. He's never read the bible. Is he really a Christian? I think not.

Religion is dying and it's a beautiful thing.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    A man might call himself a Christian but he doesn't think twice about having sex out of wedlock. He doesn't go to church. He doesn't pray. He's never read the bible. Is he really a Christian? I think not.
    But those things aren't required to make a person Christian! All they have to do is believe in Jesus, and they are saved - even if they are serial killers. I think that is about 95% of Christianity's appeal.

the funniest thing happened today. my sister (who is one of those holier than thou christians) and i took my father out to a seafood restaurant. my dad ordered shrimp. he asked if i wanted some and i said, "god hates shrimp."

my sister starts in with this thing about how i don't believe in god and all that. i told her that i clearly do, and i am clearly obeying his word because i refuse to eat shrimp that god hates.

well i had some anyway.

then later when we were leaving he pulls this shirt out of his car and gives it to me. ( i don't know why. joke i assume.) it says "one drop of jesus' blood and my sins were forgiven" and it had blood lookin paint splattered on it lol.

then i told them that my sin of eating shrimp was forgiven.

aaaaaaaajkajakjaaaa. it was funny at the time.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast