+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honeymoon in Europe

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Honeymoon in Europe

Where should I go?

I've started to plan for next fall, and we've talked about taking a short cruise through the Mediterranean (sp?) and then renting a car and driving through various countries.

Bad idea? Better ideas? Never been and I want to do it right. It's going to cost a lot of money, we're not the backpacker types.

I absolutely must go to Italy (long time dream). I'm game for suggestions of any other place I should see.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Ooooh, time sure flies!

I've only been in Eastern part of Europe you probably won't be interested in going there (a bit far to drive from Italy, plus border situation is not the best). I know a few people who enjoyed the England to France to Italy to Croatia drive throughs so that might be something to think about. One plus for Europe is that so many countries are close by.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Turkey. Greek Islands. The Alps & Lake Geneva. Those would be my top suggestions.

England is okay in summer in the north. London sucks, IMO. I'm not a city person, tho, I find them all the same. French ppl are annoying, if you do France, just go for a weekend.

Depends tho, what you enjoy. Nature, culture (old/new), history?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

My recommendation: the Loire Valley in France.

Medieval architecture, wineries, great landscape sceneries, wonderfull boat rides, superb food, nice little cosey hotels, friendly and hospitable people,...

Skip Paris, it's hugely overrated.

Last edited by Yggdrasil; 19-06-09 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added some teaser pictures
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I haven't been, but I've been told about some really great B&Bs in Tuscany.

[url]http://www.rent-a-villa-in-tuscany.com/honeymoonintuscany.html[/url]
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Mish - I WAS thinking about Croatia, I've been told it's absolutely beautiful. Don't understand a speck of eastern european languages tho. Oh well, I made it by in Vietnam on 'hello' and 'thank you'.

Indi - Greek Islands are also in the plan. I want to go places where I can just revel in culture, history, architecture. Big cities aren't terribly important, although I'd like to see Rome. A villa in Tuscany would be dreamy!

Ygg - Yeah, I heard Paris is a hole. It's been suggested I go to Nice.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

I would definitely suggest Southern Spain and Switzerland. You can skip Paris, it's kind of overrated, and I've never been in the country side. Spaniards know how to party and if you can go to the beaches on the Mediterranean the water is blue beyond blue. But there are a lot of nice places around the sea that you could see especially if you are going to Italy. Have fun! take lots of pictures and don't get robbed by Gypsies!
    Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world

-Lily Tomlin

one word - Dubai:

The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

second choice Barcelona:

The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Wasn't it a woman architect for the tallest bldg in Dubai?
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

i have no idea

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ah ok... Nobody didn`t suggest Poland so I do.Who wouldn`t like to see Auschwitz etc Krakow is also great - but I just heard that, never been there , YET. Hmmm, France of course, Lille in France is really nice,Paris of course, but Paris is just for one time- few days.But plan it very good to see everything. London is also very nice to see, quite lot of museums and galleries ,and buildings as well. Spain - of course que si Even just for the people here. It`s great.

PS. Sonrisa - Dubai isn`t in Europe hhaha
    I wazzzz here

i know it's not, but it would be my ideal honeymoon place

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Wasn't it a woman architect for the tallest bldg in Dubai?
    Could've been Zaha Hadid, famous iraqi architect.

But on topic, and in sequence.

Turkey -> boat to greece -> boat to italy -> car trip from here on to the alps -> southern germany -> france -> spain -> fly back home.

On the way you can browse markets and get some flavor in Istanbul, visit Italy for its cool cities, drive through the alps for some awesome natural scenery and cool driveways, southern germany for some country life and sample the food, france in the summer where you can choose the french countryside or Cote D'Azur riviera along the southern shore, finish by driving to Spain and spending the last of the time just having a good time.

At least that's what I'd do.
    Eastern europe sucks, scandinavia is nice but more suited for the relaxed lifestyle than for travelling through, england is pretty dull, and I find most parts of germany to be pretty dull as well unless your guy wants to check out the autobahn.

Sorry, but screw those destinations listed.... do people want the patches or craps spoons to say they went to shit holes or what? You can buy the patches off of ebay and sew them into your whatever.

Europe is one big shithole, as is most of the world.

Better to take that money you probably shouldn't be sparing and either save it, or make a wedding reception which will never be forgotten in your home town/city.

Sorry, but Italy? Ask the Italians.... they're after visas for anywhere. The place is a tourist trap/economic shit hole.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast