+ Follow This Topic

Thread: In Perspective...

In Perspective...

Just a thought. Over half the population of Iran are people in their 20's--young people, many just starting out their lives, many very Westernized and many who are in love.

Right now, they're suspending their love of another...some nice young woman or young man...they are suspending their immediate life for something that they view as more important. Some are dying, some are getting arrested and beaten. Some will be disfigured and end up alone for their whole lives.

Whatever side you might be on in all of this (and this is not a political site, therefore I don't state my view), it does help put things into perspective a bit to think about what political violence does to personal happiness.

i think it's great that people protest unfair rule.

we should've done that when george bush jr. got elected the second time but instead we sat around and concerned ourself with tv shows and celebrities.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

it's sad but i guess people will die for their freedom to vote and live the life they choose
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Coincidentally, I just heard the story of Neda--the sixteen year old girl who was shot in the neck by the Iranian police sniper--the gruesome video is online. I would NOT recommend watching it because it is horrific to watch a person, wide-eyed and scared, very quickly die on camera.

It just illustrates my earlier point about keeping things in perspective.

CAM,

I understand perfectly what you are saying.

There are however two sides to the story (as with pretty much everything else I guess).

Yes, it is sad conflict happens and it is even sadder people die or are being disfigured during conflicts.

On the other hand, we do not live in a static world. As long as there are people on this planet, there will be conflicts.

Any modern nation went through it's own share of conflict. It's easy to see what is happening right now, and it's easy to forget that the USA for example, went through it's own conflicts in order to gain independence from the Brittish.

Or look at medieval Europe as another example. War after war.

How many people died, lost their families, became disfigured or dismembered during those conflicts?

Eventualy, those conflicts are part of how nations are being formed. The pain, the hurt, the thousands, millions even that die, it all happens for a reason. A reason that may not be obvious at the time the conflict takes place, but it definitely becomes obvious later in time.

Just like many people made sacrifices and were sacrificed to turn the USA or Europe into what it is now, many more will be sacrificed or sacrifice themselves for fighting for what they believe in, till their goals are reached.

Doesn't mean we have to like it of course. It's just the way the world runs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Thanks Cam. You are right, most of our problems pale in comparison. I admire those who are standing up for their rights. Gutsy bunch.

If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh