+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Falling out of Love, or just over reacting?

Falling out of Love, or just over reacting?

To cut a long story short, I've been with a fantastic girl for two months. She's everything that I've dreamed of in a partner - but now that the so-called "honeymoon" is starting to fade, I'm starting to panic and it's driving me crazy.

The first two months of our relationship were great - I was completely head over heels in love with her - I felt like we could spend the rest of our lives together. Nothing much has changed other than the fact that I no longer feel head over heels in love. I enjoy her company, we still talk for hours, and I feel like she's my best friend. That said, I no longer get that warm fuzzy feeling I used to just thinking about her - at least not as frequently as I used to - if you know what I mean. I don't smile to myself, or feel like skipping down the street in a fit of romance-induced euphoria. While I felt that we had a definite future in the past, because of this change in my feelings, I am now unsure if I could spend the rest of my life with this woman. This is mainly because while I am 100% certain I still have feelings for her - they're not as strong as they were when we first got together. It feels normal, for lack of a better word, and I wonder if it feels this way for all couples.

I should add that this is the second real, committed relationship I've been in. I've dated women, and even been in relationships before - but this is a new set of emotions I'm experiencing and I'm not sure if I've fallen out of love, or if this is just a natural step of progression in any normal relationship. We are both undergrads and studying in different countries - making this a long-distance relationship. I also admit that I went into the relationship after only knowing her for 1 1/2 months. My worries are compounded by the fact that my parents' marriage was damn near loveless and eventually broke down when I was a teen. It was extremely painful to have to witness it, and I don't want to be in that situation myself. I have an overwhelming fear that I may myself become trapped, or am becoming trapped in a similar predicament. Because of this, and because of what I've been conditioned to believe, I am of the unfortunate mentality that you should only be married to a person you are head over heels in love with. Although I didn't realise it at that time, I probably went through a similar set of emotions in my first relationship that eventually led to its demise. I am extremely disturbed right now and need some honest, objective opinions. What is said here may influence whether or not I decide to continue in this. I suppose the burning question is - is it normal to have feelings of relatively (I emphasize that my feelings are still there) lower intensity after the initial euphoria, or are am I falling out of love? Thanks to all for your opinions.

It's completely normal what your going through, the fuzzy feeling dissapears but not completely, you'll still get it quite often actually just not as often.

You need to ask yourself if you could stand living without her, if you would want her to be the one you wake up next to everyday for the rest of your life....

but you still young and so is she plus you've only been together for a very short while, so you shouldnt really worry too much about those questions i told you to ask yourself but to save any heartache you might want to
    Live your life to the fullest and let the regrets of today be lessons for tomorrow

Give it some time

I would give it some more time and find out more about eachother. I am sure in a few weeks you will have a better idea on what you want. All relationships are like this and you get passed the first stage.. then things calm down a bit. The thing you need to think about is why do you feel like you dont want to spend the rest of your life with her? What flaws does she have and can you live with them for the rest of your life.

@Ferrari - There is nothing I see in her that I foresee not being able to live with. I quite simply am a commitment phobe. I have an excessive fear of being trapped in a failed relationship - which I admit sometimes prevents me from enjoying the one I am in.

What you describe sounds like something that isn't strong enough to withstand the pressures of a long distance relationship. I don't know how much of it is coming from whatever commitmentphobia you're bringing to this, but that's beside the point, really.

The real issue here, as I see it, is that your relationship needs something it's not going to get, which is commitment and passion. It's a lot easier to hold it together in person, where you have physical affection giving you a rush of chemicals in your brain and keeping you happy. You don't have that.

I say end it now.
    Spammer Spanker