+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sent Drawing to Boyfriend

Nice work Aeradalia, you are talented. I sure hope he appreciates this. I know I would.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    Last night... I was missing the comfort of my bf... been a while since I had "seen" him... and I lost most of my pictures of him, along with the rest of my belongings. However, I found one picture of him... one from about 5 or so years ago, when he was 30... A novelty he shared, when I had asked what he looked like when he was younger. Luckily I had saved it on the laptop...

So, I was in the mood to draw (I'm sure all the artists will agree with me, it's not so much a mood as a compulsion)... and decided, what the hell... I bet I could draw him. And I did, in record fashion... literally in one night.

I was wondering, how would this be received? For all the guys out there... how would you feel/react, if the woman you loved sent a sketched portrait of you?

This is the drawing I sent him...

Switch pencil. Line looks ugly. Is this B pencil? make it sharper, use darker values. I somehow recon this is from a photo... Looks a bit flat. Shadow to left arm, right now it looks like he has some kind of disability.

I remember I did an oil painting for one of my girl friend for her birthday, after we had spent time together. I regret it. Spent two nights straight, top-notch lines, linen medium so the paint could barely dry and next day it went into framing. She was kind of happy, but I never saw the picture again :/ I don't even have a photograph of it And its almost two years now.
    Somehow I manage to just give away the best pictures. But then again best pictures happen when money is not involved, just for people I care about.

My current girlfriend waits a painting also. But I have a commission to fill, promised for my brother... again, no money :/ I did a big A1 drawing of her, but I love the part of her that completely understands me when i am not happy with my work (I know I can do better). She just goes, oh, make it better, lol. Finally a person who doesn't go wow omg I want some...
    Last edited by boobaa; 21-07-09 at 05:41 PM.
    Don't expect anything.

It was drawn with a .05 mechanical pencil and shaded with a .07 mechanical pencil. The paper is construction paper... not the higher quality paper I was more accustomed to.

All of my art supplies have been lost (or taken away rather -- along with 20 years worth of my drawings)... so I was left with bare necessities. If I had my complete set... I would've used all the variations in intensity in graphite... probably used some charcoal... and then heightened the sharpness finally with pen... but I don't have any of those things. Plus, the construction paper was a bit frustrating as well.

The picture is subject to some flaws as the photo I had was of poor quality... so on some parts I 'guessed' as to what was really there.

I offer no drawings for anyone... friends or family alike... as it usually falls into the 'something for nothing' category... and as delightful as it may be --- that's a nice pic, rarely makes all the hours put in worth it.

I sketched this for my bf because he is artistic and I knew he would have genuine appreciation for the time and effort put into it. My more novice approach is moot in comparison to the love and meaning conveyed in the gift to him.

If he had not been artistic... I doubt I would've been interested in sketching this.
    Last edited by Aeradalia; 22-07-09 at 07:55 AM.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

heh, reminds me of an ordered picture i had to draw in one night. Then I discovered I had no pencil, finally I found one, but I didn't have a sharpener and the pencil was already so little that knife couldn't be used. Anyhow I finished it good and got my bucks. Somehow, it was a miracle because I didn't even have an eraser.
    Don't expect anything.

Come on, you can do that.

Come on, you can do that. : > ---
    // stop your spam //

Did you vary it from the photo?

Art is always a wonderful compulsion. If spirit moves you: listen. As it is with all art forms. I remember drawing some beautiful things for ex-boyfriends, Now that I think about it, I'm kinda bummed I didn't keep some copies for myself.
    I'm in trouble for advertising in my sig.

I really wish I could see the picture of the drawing.
    My computer just shows it as a red X =(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12