+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meaning of life

Meaning of life

Since the meaning of life had been raised a couple of times lately, I thought I'd post this paradox for you to think about.

At the end of the 20th century, based upon insight gleaned from the gene-centered view of evolution, biologists George C. Williams, Richard Dawkins, David Haig, among others, conclude that if there is a primary function to life, it is the replication of DNA and the survival of one's genes.

However

The fate of all life in this universe appears to be doomed as all biological life will eventually become unsustainable and extinct, be it through a Big Freeze, Big Rip or Big Crunch of the universe.

What does this mean to you and how does this affect your perception of life's meaning?
    Last edited by Mish; 25-06-09 at 09:40 AM.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

you're making me think about babies again..lol

well it makes me think that we are insignificant really and that we should smile more and forget about trying so much and just enjoy
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

That the spirit is infinite.

That we've all experienced the kharma of hurtling to the earths crust as mere fire ants from outer space, and that we originated from somewhere else.

you're over-thinking here. The meaning of life and the fate of the universe have nothing to do with each other.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Life is stupid. It doesn't reason or think ahead. So yes, the meaning of life is to spread DNA. The fact that it is a futile effort changes nothing. Whether we're wiped out or not, we exist to reach sexual maturity, **** and die. I don't know that it's a paradox exactly. Like I said, life is stupid. We just happen to be the one unfortunate species capable of looking to the future and realizing it's all moot.

So eat, drink and be merry. Take as much pleasure from your brief existence as you possibly can and try not to spread suffering. Life's pathetically short and you may as well enjoy it while you can.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Neo, they seem one in the same for me.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeminole View Post
    you're over-thinking here. The meaning of life and the fate of the universe have nothing to do with each other.
    That's why the question I posted asked, how does knowing the fate of the universe affect your perception of meaning of life? What meaning does life have for you knowing that it's all doomed to end in its entirety? (not just you, but all sequences of your future dna replications)
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It drives me to live in the moment instead of worrying about leaving a legacy behind.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Doc Durian says:

"Neo, they seem one in the same for me."

awesome!

Doc Durian says:

"Neo, they seem one in the same for me."

awesome!
    Can you explain why it's "awesome" enough for you to comment on it? Your comment could remain grey to me until something more surfaces.

Mishanya says:

"That's why the question I posted asked, how does knowing the fate of the universe affect your perception of meaning of life? What meaning does life have for you knowing that it's all doomed to end in its entirety? (not just you, but all sequences of your future dna replications)"

first of all, the human species will die out way before any cataclysmic end to the universe. Second, the fate of the universe is billions, if not trillions, of years into the future - far too distant for it to have any relevance to our lives. Third, the urge to copulate is one of our strongest instincts. I highly doubt anyone said to themselves "I'm not going to have sex b/c all life in this universe is eventually doomed."

so to repeat what I said earlier: you're over-thinking here.

As part of the universe, and entities with more than just a biological need to procreate but to attempt to reason our existance, aren't we more akin to the expanse of unlimited time theme as purported by said universe... verses organisms which don't appear to have the ability to consider such?

I might not always have a body, or a planet body to stick to, but I'm pretty confident that our immediate end isn't an end.

Doc Durian says:

"Can you explain why it's "awesome" enough for you to comment on it? Your comment could remain grey to me until something more surfaces."

you said "they seem one in the same for me" without explaining why. So I felt like giving an equally hollow response.

The answer you are looking for is 42.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Doc Durian says:

"Can you explain why it's "awesome" enough for you to comment on it? Your comment could remain grey to me until something more surfaces."

you said "they seem one in the same for me" without explaining why. So I felt like giving an equally hollow response.
    At 5 minutes posted after explanation, I'd hate to wager how long one of your inflective posts would take.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast