+ Follow This Topic

Thread: According to Forbes....

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

According to Forbes....

Rochester NY had the worst pay cuts in the US. Yay. Followd by Syracuse. Then Albany. Buffalo also topping the ranks. Hurray for the Rust Belt

[url]http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/107267/pay-cut-cities.html?mod=career-salary_negotiation[/url]

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I hope your folks are doing okay, DM. Friends of ours (engineers) also lost their jobs recently. Big cuts at a Kodak division here as well.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My mom hasn't worked since she had kids, and my dad has survived probably about 20 layoffs since Kodak started laying off people in the 90s or whatever. Last round of layoffs (a few months ago) people to both sides of my dads cubicle got axed

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The guy I know, they fired him & then tried to rehire him as a technical consultant. He told them 'no thanks'. They are outsourcing a lot of stuff to Mexico. He got a better job almost immediately. He is waiting the 6 months or so it will take the admin folks to figure out that their ppl in Mexico can't do the work, at which point he'll likely charge dbl what they were paying him. Its pretty easy to outthink the office admin folk.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

This is why I am studying my ass off. I've already seen both ends of the stick and I know which one I am fighting for.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    The guy I know, they fired him & then tried to rehire him as a technical consultant. He told them 'no thanks'. They are outsourcing a lot of stuff to Mexico. He got a better job almost immediately. He is waiting the 6 months or so it will take the admin folks to figure out that their ppl in Mexico can't do the work, at which point he'll likely charge dbl what they were paying him. Its pretty easy to outthink the office admin folk.
    Except when the office folk already screwed up so bad the company has literally no money left to pay for anything and have to close shop. Kodak is having a furlough next week actually

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i'm on the other side of the nation. but then again, most of the money exists on the east coast.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Except when the office folk already screwed up so bad the company has literally no money left to pay for anything and have to close shop. Kodak is having a furlough next week actually
    Oh shit. That sucks bad.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's probably the reason Rochester has taken such a hit on the salaries... Buffalo was already a lot more blue-collar than Rochester was (Rochester had a lot of engineers and scientists working for companies like Kodak, Xerox, DuPont, Eastman Chemical, and Bausch and Lomb). The people living a few houses down were both chemical engineers but lost their jobs in the last year. They aren't going to move until their kids finish school and leave, so the guy had to get whatever job he could, which turned out to be some surely low paying job

The valedictorian in my graduating class... both his parents were engineers for Kodak who got fired a few years ago. They got new jobs, but... surprise surprise, not in Rochester. In North Carolina