+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It happened, I crashed my bike.

It happened, I crashed my bike.

I knew it was only a matter of time. I was out riding hard today on some mountain roads and put it down.

I panicked and locked my front brakes up on a tire I really shouldn't have been riding on. I was coming into a nasty corner with some weird pitches in the road. I saw the guys ahead of me had stopped and tried to stop too when I should have just rode through and come back.

I low sided into some gravel and the bike started dragging me with it towards a ravine. I managed to get both feet on the frame and kicked it as hard as I could so I didn't get pulled with it. It did a flip and went nose down over the edge. I shattered the nose and upper left fairing along with smashing my tank.

When I stopped tumbling I couldn't understand why the guys in front of me weren't moving to help me, then I realized we were down one guy. The guy in front of me had come into the corner faster than I had and locked up his rear brake. He high sided and launched him and his bike off the edge. He flew 30 some odd feet from the road into a ravine. His bike hit a tree and completely smashed the tank front fairing, then landed on him in the creek.

I realized I have a huge problem here though. I was barely phased by what happened. I watched a guy I ride with get air lifted to a hospital and go immediately into surgery. He broke his pelvis in 3 places and dislocated his hip. When I got down to him he was completely unresponsive. This should have shaken me up and it didn't. I don't know if I am just doing this invincible 20's thing or what, but I don't want to die in a creek at the bottom of a ravine with a bike laying on me.

A few feet farther and I would have hit a stand of three trees.

This is kind of an odd post, but I can't make heads of tails with myself about what happened. I am not reacting to it in a normal way, I seem to lack any sense of caution.

I'm not ready to die, I hate to consider it, but it may be my time to bow out of street bikes.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Fate had you making the grade.

It's always sombering.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think you should get out of it for a while. I don't think you're mature enough to hold back. Give it a few years, man. I take it the bike's totaled, right? So now's a good time to hang up your helmet until you get a little older and a little more cautious.

Riding a motorcycle isn't worth dying for. It isn't worth a lifetime in a wheelchair, a severed leg, mental retardation.... take your pick.
    Last edited by Gribble; 12-07-09 at 01:27 PM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrider View Post
    This should have shaken me up and it didn't. I don't know if I am just doing this invincible 20's thing or what, but I don't want to die in a creek at the bottom of a ravine with a bike laying on me.

A few feet farther and I would have hit a stand of three trees.

This is kind of an odd post, but I can't make heads of tails with myself about what happened. I am not reacting to it in a normal way, I seem to lack any sense of caution.

I'm not ready to die, I hate to consider it, but it may be my time to bow out of street bikes.
    Add some shock to that. Believe it or not, but having no emotional reaction to this, is part of shock. It's a normal defense mechanism.

It's quite possible a few days from now you'll suddenly realize fully what happend.

Either way, you were darn lucky. Count your blessings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

- Speedfreak Motto

Glad you are okay, but I told you be careful. Grrr.
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 12-07-09 at 02:05 PM.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post

As for a bicycle, well...we don't have to worry too much about going as fast, but doesn't mean it's not as dangerous. Cars are moving fast enough to eat us alive. I sometimes question why I keep riding with all the close calls I've had already. I think it's part of being in the 20's and the rush I get out of riding.
    There was a case here not too long ago where a cyclist was held responsible for causing a car accident. Can't remember exact details, but it was one of those scenarios where the bike was on a road but then stopped acting like a vehicle.

I love bikes, I cycle myself, but if one is riding on a road then one should follow the rules of the road and act like a vehicle. Too many cyclists only follow the rules when it suits them.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I think you should get out of it for a while. I don't think you're mature enough to hold back. Give it a few years, man. I take it the bike's totaled, right? So now's a good time to hang up your helmet until you get a little older and a little more cautious.

Riding a motorcycle isn't worth dying for. It isn't worth a lifetime in a wheelchair, a severed leg, mental retardation.... take your pick.
    Yeah, I hate to say it, but in ways I am not mature enough to be doing this anymore. I guess maybe its part of growing up though, seeing your weak spots and not falling into them.

Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post
    Motorcycles are dangerous...cycling is dangerous. The real question is, is it worth it? Motorcycles obviously are going to be a bit more dangerous just based on the fact that you can go much faster on them. Learning self control and how to be mature on one is one of the reasons why young males on bikes = HIGH insurance prices. After a crash like that, I think it would be wise to just take time off the bike and realize how much worse that could have been. I don't think it's hit you yet, you might not realize it for a few days, a few months, or even a few years how serious it is.

As for a bicycle, well...we don't have to worry too much about going as fast, but doesn't mean it's not as dangerous. Cars are moving fast enough to eat us alive. I sometimes question why I keep riding with all the close calls I've had already. I think it's part of being in the 20's and the rush I get out of riding.
    Yeah I don't know what to tell you. Its fun to go fast and ride hard, but I always want more, its never enough. I have had luck on my side too many times, dodged too many bullets. I got bit this time, but it was minor really. I can't do this forever, it will catch up to me just like crashing, its gonna happen.

Sorry Indi, you were right, I was wearing full gear and did everything I could to save it

The Warmonger

I agree with Gribble. I know two guys personally. One had a minor injury and I think he retired. He has a big family now. The other guy is very, very careful. He does it for pure relaxation and stated that if he is too tired, it's raining, too dark, or something doesn't feel right then he won't ride it. He doesn't do it for sports.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Save the pedal to the metal mentality for the race track.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    it's time that you switch to jet skiing.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well, you know what they say about motorcyclists: there are those that have BEEN down, and those that are GOING down.

You are probably still in shock, hence your lack of emotional response. You'd be able to respond had that guy ended up an organ donor.

I'm glad you are safe, but can you just get rid of the bike now? Sheesh.

Glad to hear you're in one piece man. It's probably a good idea to give it a rest for awhile.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Yeah, its not really ride able atm, and i am in no hurry to fix it right now. I just got back from the hospital and saw the other guy I was with. Hes really banged up. Not only is his pelvis broken, but he broke ribs, his shoulder and did something to one of his legs.

I still can't believe I'm not in a bed next to him. I saw some photos of the accident scene today. I missed serious injury by literally 2 feet. The trees were two feet off my left shoulder.

The Warmonger

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrider View Post
    Yeah, its not really ride able atm, and i am in no hurry to fix it right now. I just got back from the hospital and saw the other guy I was with. Hes really banged up. Not only is his pelvis broken, but he broke ribs, his shoulder and did something to one of his legs.

I still can't believe I'm not in a bed next to him. I saw some photos of the accident scene today. I missed serious injury by literally 2 feet. The trees were two feet off my left shoulder.
    Looks like the shock is starting to wear off.

Take things easy for a few days. You just realized you're not invincible. After this point, your life will change. (shit).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

oh man i hope your friend is okay. maybe you'll be more safe next time???

porecito.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast