+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: people with a lot of money live unhappy lives?

people with a lot of money live unhappy lives?

i noticed in my time with some pretty wealthy people in connecticut and upstate new york that they are in general a lot more miserable than people from around where i am from, which is one of the poorest states in the u.s.

they have beautiful homes, beautiful cars, beautiful people with beautiful children. and yet they seem so incredibly unhappy.

they seem more used to being sad and miserable, like it's normal or something.

does anyone else notice this, or is it just me?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Yes i see it all the time as well. Had friends who were like that as well and kinda stopped being friends with them for those reasons exactly...They had everything yet they always complained about something and lived such depressing lives...Money can only buy temporary happiness..eventually those things like cars and houses and such...leave you empty..
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

coz they work too hard to get those material things, they don't get to spend time with each other appreciating life and their children. they are like ants work work work, money money money and hey presto :status!! but no happy families. no wonder they are not happy

they are gonna need that money with the heart attacks from stress they get....whats the point of it all then
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 17-07-09 at 03:26 AM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

I would be depressed if I lived in New York too. Shit; people everywhere, tall buildings, paved ground always underneath one's feet... it's like a gigantic mirror revealing the redundancy of human existence.

Whoa! That was Asip! Long time no post, dude.

And yes, I think rich people are very often some miserable mother****ers.
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by Asip4u View Post
    Yes i see it all the time as well. Had friends who were like that as well and kinda stopped being friends with them for those reasons exactly...They had everything yet they always complained about something and lived such depressing lives...Money can only buy temporary happiness..eventually those things like cars and houses and such...leave you empty..
    it's kinda sad.

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    coz they work too hard to get those material things, they don't get to spend time with each other appreciating life and their children. they are like ants work work work, money money money and hey presto :status!! but no happy families. no wonder they are not happy

they are gonna need that money with the heart attacks from stress they get....whats the point of it all then
    that's a possible explaination.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    I would be depressed if I lived in New York too. Shit; people everywhere, tall buildings, paved ground always underneath one's feet... it's like a gigantic mirror revealing the redundancy of human existence.
    new york is not just manhattan. manhattan is just a small island in new york. the rest of new york. there are some very beautiful, spacious homes on spacious pieces of land. very very expensive houses. the poor people are out in the buroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post

totallly.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

yea it's been a few years...nice to see there's still quite a few regulars showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post

-to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Upstate is not NYC.

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think there's a difference between those who grew up rich and those who were poor then became rich.

I feel like those "privileged" folk don't appreciate the things they have as much because they just feel it's normal to have everything. While poor folks that work hard and make a lot of money learn to appreciate their blessings more.
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

I think people feel really good when they give money to the needy. I would like to help these sad rich people by offering them a place to send cash. My house.
    Spammer Spanker

I've noticed that people who sacrifice a lot to get rich come from a background where they are not happy with themselves unless they can prove their worth with status or possessions. Getting money for them has little to do with satisfying their wants or needs, but to show their worthy of love that wasn't given to them by their peers or their parents. And people like that will never be happy because they have a hole in their soul.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    I've noticed that people who sacrifice a lot to get rich come from a background where they are not happy with themselves unless they can prove their worth with status or possessions. Getting money for them has little to do with satisfying their wants or needs, but to show their worthy of love that wasn't given to them by their peers or their parents. And people like that will never be happy because they have a hole in their soul.
    Hole in their soul? that's a little extreme.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

i talked about this concept with my friend before.

we both came from privileged backgrounds and then we went into the workforce starting from the bottom just like everyone. and we both noticed how the less privileged are obsessed with money even when they made more than us, it was never enough. my friend and i are a lot more relaxed about money, as long as we are happy and sufficient and can afford a bit of fun sometimes then we are content. i think the less privileged suffer in all ways from when they suffered growing up and from self inflicted suffering trying to prove oneself and make more and more money, the stress eventually kills them in the end.

we really need to change the way society works
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    well, they tried communism already.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

it doesn't have to be communism

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast