+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do people believe in love?

Why do people believe in love?

The total amount of suffering per year in our world is beyond all decent contemplation.

During the minute that it takes me to compose this sentence, thousands of animals are being eaten alive, many others are running for their lives, whimpering with fear, others are slowly being devoured from within by rasping parasites, thousands of all kinds are dying of starvation, thirst, and disease. About 20,000 African children are dying from starvation and disease every day.

In a universe full of radiation, electrons and selfish genes, some people are going to get hurt, other people are going to get lucky, and you won't find any rhyme or reason in it, nor any justice. The universe that we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but pitiless indifference.

Seriously, when are humans gonna realize that they are just animals? We think we are above animals, we think we are different than them but the fact is we evolved from the same primordial soup as them.

The truth is we're just animals who became smart due to our larger brain size.
    Last edited by uri; 19-07-09 at 02:02 AM.

No offense, but what in gods name does that have to do with being heart broken?
    Be careful with your heart, because when someone seems too good to be true, they usually are.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Every day of my life I am extremely grateful that I get to sit in my apartment in a leather chair with food in the fridge, running water, electricity and a vehicle, and I get to read stuff like this and frown and think to myself, "how sad." You have no idea how grateful I am. It is a pretty shitty world but it is getting better all the time.

As for all that crap about animals, meh. I'll do my part to end their suffering by eating as many of them as possible.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

We are animals, but even animals have their societies. They all have social hierarchies, methods of communication, and family structures.

To say that we should forsake our social structure and mirror that of animals is horribly narrow-minded. There is no one society. Lions behave vastly different from meerkats and ants. Human behavior is different from any other species by nature of the fact that we are capable of higher brain functions. It's how we're supposed to be.

dear uri ...i shall return to discuss this issues

allah bless u and lightur roads
    my God ...Allah .... i love you

I don't see how us being animals implies love doesnt exist. Animals aren't capable of love? I believe in love, and look forward to experiencing it .. eventually.
    There is alot of suffering in the world. I don't think it's due to love.. If there were more love, there would be alot less of it. I would rather be part of the solution and not part of the problem. So on that note, love is alright.

Eh, love is not all fluffy pink bunnies and comically-dressed singing mice. It has been said that love that is not madness is not love. Love can be just as much a driving force for destruction as any good one may perceive.

Love is not a singular emotion. It is the attachment we form through shared experiences. Case in point, everyone knows what anger, sadness, pain, and joy are. No one really knows what love is or, at least, everyone has a different definition of it. That's why your love for one person is not the same as your love for another. Different shared experiences. Different attachment. Love is neither holy nor evil. It's all in what you do with it.
    Last edited by little pingoin; 19-07-09 at 10:20 PM.

we need to believe in fairytale

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Every day of my life I am extremely grateful that I get to sit in my apartment in a leather chair with food in the fridge, running water, electricity and a vehicle, and I get to read stuff like this and frown and think to myself, "how sad." You have no idea how grateful I am. It is a pretty shitty world but it is getting better all the time.

As for all that crap about animals, meh. I'll do my part to end their suffering by eating as many of them as possible.
    You are as wise as you are a gent.

Quote Originally Posted by little pingoin View Post
    Eh, love is not all fluffy pink bunnies and comically-dressed singing mice. It has been said that love that is not madness is not love. Love can be just as much a driving force for destruction as any good one may perceive.

Love is not a singular emotion. It is the attachment we form through shared experiences. Case in point, everyone knows what anger, sadness, pain, and joy are. No one really knows what love is or, at least, everyone has a different definition of it. That's why your love for one person is not the same as your love for another. Different shared experiences. Different attachment. Love is neither holy nor evil. It's all in what you do with it.
    I believe that love is nothing but our natural instinct to survive and pass our genes to our children and to the future generations. We are wired to continue the world and humanity continues through our genes.

Love offers survival value. Our children offer us assistence in survival and we assist them in the collective survival. That's what group survival is all about.

Now there is the problem of homosexuality which many deem not to be biological but chosen. We don't know whether homosexuality is caused by genetic or inborn traits or by some environmental factor. A widely publicized study in 1999 found that a certain part of the hypothalamus was smaller in gay men then in heterosexual men. This study was widely touted at the time as “proof” that one’s sexual orientation is biological and not chosen. But we don't know whether these differences in the brain are present at birth or if they occur over a lifetime.

My point is love exists but it's not the romantized idea that many women and romantic movies make it out to be and it's definitely not easy to find as movies make it to be. In the movies, the hero always gets the girl, in life that's not so.
    Last edited by uri; 31-07-09 at 03:46 AM.

Okay, we believe in love because we grew up (or at least I did) with Disney. Name me one movie that disney made that isn't about love. Also, there is a financial advantage to be being married.
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    Okay, we believe in love because we grew up (or at least I did) with Disney. Name me one movie that disney made that isn't about love. Also, there is a financial advantage to be being married.
    Yeah, but not by much, and especially not with kids.

Love is attachment that apparently deserves a stronger word than "like", then people add on a bunch of wishy-washy BS in an attempt to make it something they want it to be. They put conditions and parameters on it, make it artificial and then set up their expectations, which of course, lead to disappointments. "That's not love because love is supposed to be..."

People usually make their own traps.
    Precious and fragile things
    Need special handling
    My god, what have we done to you?

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurvivor23 View Post
    No offense, but what in gods name does that have to do with being heart broken?
    You just don't understand it. Maybe you will never experience this disgusting feeling of being human.
    Don't expect anything.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    lol, what, are you from PETA? Humans are at the top of the food chain, get over it

And people will always focus on the worst out there. There are starving children in Africa. There are also many people eating delicious 1/3 pounder Angus burgers at McDonalds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast