+ Follow This Topic
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Apologists for Evil

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Wow guys latest news, there was a terrorist attack here in Palma where I am today.Bomb exploded on the suburbs of the city.Two policemen died. I`m fine and it wasn`t me
    I wazzzz here

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Comparisons are interesting, but difficult because a 5 year sample was taken of developing countries and only a one year sample of industrialized ones (meaning that for real comparisons the rate in industrialized countries is much higher than in figures below, to compare multiply it by 5), never the less:

The highest rates were found in North Africa, where 33% of the interviewed women experienced sexual incidents in the last five years, followed by Latin America, Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia/Pacific with rates close to 15%. The least victimised were women in Asia (10%) (With India at 3%).

For industrialized countries questioned for the last year (not 5 years) The one-year rates were highest in Australia (5.6%), Canada (4.1%), the USA (3.7%), West Germany (3.3%) and Poland (3.2%).
    Mish, this is garbage statistics. Even this group admits the unreliability of these estimates. 4.1% in Canada would mean anywhere from 1/2 to a million cases in one year! Do you believe this data? I don't.

Did you know that, just by *asking* the question, you bias the chances (increase) the likelihood of a positive response. "Desire to please" is a common problem for this type of study and I doubt they were able to correct for it b/c of where & how the surveys were done.

I also debunked your earlier post about crime rates in Canada (your map post), by going right to the Stats Canada source.

Ygg is correct. These stats are not the right support for your argument. Its just a form of 'appeal to authority', and these sources are weak. Those of us who do research know better, but if you want confirmation, PM Cam. He will tell you the problems with this kind of data, he deals with stats a lot.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pettit-Papillon View Post
    Wow guys latest news, there was a terrorist attack here in Palma where I am today.Bomb exploded on the suburbs of the city.Two policemen died. I`m fine and it wasn`t me
    Glad you are okay, PP.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I thought about you when I read that article PP. But then I read that it was 2 Spanish police officers who were killed so I knew you were OK

Quote Originally Posted by Asip4u View Post
    Wrong! I can ask women on here and anywhere else..A woman always wants to be sexy!
    Oh, God no. I don't want random dudes in the grocery store finding me sexy. I don't need to be sexy at a parent-teacher conference. Sexy has no place at my job.

By the way, I do agree with you that western girls often dress VERY inappropriately. i just don't think the answer is to make them wear a burqa,

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Glad you are okay, PP.
    Me too. Scary.
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    II'm not talking about a hijab. Just like you are not talking about the christian cross. Neither is related to rape.
    Well I'm not talking to you then. Because my response was to Gribble, this thread's original topic and the "need" to frown upon Muslim women for wearing a Hijab because allegedly it's a "symbol of rape and violence". With all those statistics what I wanted to show is that both our and their systems are flawed and if we want to frown on one, we should also frown at the other (i.e. at ourselves). This need to disrespect women simply based on their choice to support their culture is disgusting to me and I will not accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    As I said, let them wear it. But don't smile and pretend it's okay, either. Treat them as they deserve to be treated. Glare at the men, make them feel unwelcome and uncomfortable. Let them know in no uncertain terms that if they cannot control themselves around civilized, self-respecting women they will pay dearly. Let the women know that you have no respect for anyone who would willingly degrade themselves. Most of all, let them know that they are humans first, Muslims last, and they will be criticized and judged the same as any other human being. Believe me, I wouldn't sit idly by while some white jock lives a "boys will be boys" lifestyle. I'd be out for his blood just the same.

If your culture is one of rape and violence your culture is awful and deserving of ridicule. I'm sick unto death of HUMAN BEINGS hiding behind their culture, as if that's some shield for their horrible behavior. That's the real point. Expect and learn to deal with criticism regardless of your culture, your religion, the color of your skin, or whichever shithole of a place you were born in.
    Last edited by Mish; 31-07-09 at 12:39 PM.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by Pettit-Papillon View Post
    I thought about you as soon as I saw Majorca in the news. I'm glad you're okay.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Cliff's Notes please?
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    This need to disrespect women simply based on their choice to support their culture is disgusting to me and I will not accept it.
    I fully agree with that (therefore the thank you). I think we were talking about the same thing but using different approaches.
    Last edited by Yggdrasil; 31-07-09 at 03:39 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Ygg is correct. These stats are not the right support for your argument. Its just a form of 'appeal to authority', and these sources are weak. Those of us who do research know better, but if you want confirmation, PM Cam. He will tell you the problems with this kind of data, he deals with stats a lot.
    It's not a matter of being correct Indi, it's a matter of explaining that statistics (especialy those related to crimes) are a fairly unreliable source to base arguments such as this one on.

Reality and statistics are not in agreement in this case.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i love how mish is always right and in a long winded detailed way always agrees with me, thanks mish for being so sensible
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    i love how mish is always right and in a long winded detailed way always agrees with me, thanks mish for being so sensible
    What we want, and what we really need, is for you to do learn how to do that in the first place.

^^you really 'need' it? lol nah its more fun otherwise, you know you love it.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Thanks guys You were thinking about me.
    Well yesterday they also found a second bomb,but fortunately before it exploded . Was placed also under police car.
    Attacks are perhaps made by ETA. The Royal family is coming here besides today ETA celebrates 50th anniversary.
    Yeah it scary.Actually it`s weird to be in the same city than the attacks have been. Especially bomb explosions... I couldn`t hear nothing because explosion was in Palma Nova, it`s more on suburbs of Palma , but on weekends we use to go in this direction to the beach...
    Well about ETA , they almost always address their attacks toward police, government and royal family, it`s not common for them to attack completely innocent people,civils. Well but Mallorca is saddly surprised, they never had a bomb attack here.
    Now when the Royal family is coming, lot of police is here. Yesterday the airport was closed till 6pm but jut for the outgoing flights. Seaport is still closed ( they don`t want to let them run away from the island) . So lots of police and civil guardians, but to be honest people seem to not care a lot. I don`t see fear on their faces, everything is as it was before that attack. It`s jsut sad that two guys needed to die...
    I wazzzz here

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm glad you are safe, pettit.

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast