+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Engagement Advice

Engagement Advice

So I'm looking at engagement rings and want to know if you guys know which is better--white gold or platinum? Basically, what are the pros and cons of each and what are you experiences with both? Thanks!

A search in Google will tell the main differences between them, I have summarised below.

Platinum is slightly harder wearing and remains a nice silver colour and as a metal is much rarer and consequently a lot more expensive. There are different grades of purity that you can get, as with gold which affect the price, etc.

White gold on the other hand is actually plated and can sometimes need to be cleaned a re-plated every few years depending on wear. This all depends on the quality of the plating in the first place, etc.

This is not to say that white gold is not good and you should not consider it, for the money you may get a nice looking ring in white gold over platinum due to the cost differences.

It is down to you really, how much you are willing to pay and what you like the look of the most.

When I got engaged I got a platinum ring, but that was because the style that I liked was in platinum. After a year, short of a few minor scratches the ring looked like new.

Just pick something you can afford that looks nice and that you know your girlfriend will love and you can't go far wrong.

Lee

i would want something like this:

[url]http://www.diamond.com/media/common/products/images/R/D/B/4/RDB_040034_b_l-1_12_Carat_Princess_Cut_Diamond_TACORI_Engagement_ Ring_18K_White_Gold_CT_GIA_Certified.jpg[/url]
    Gee..I thought I saw a pussycat. ~PCD

Thanks for the info! So you got a platinum e-ring and are satisfied with how it held up? One thing I'm definitely looking for is durability...and I read you can just polish out any scratches you get on a platinum ring.

Is the cost difference between platinum and white gold that big right now?

It did hold up very well, but that is not to say that a white gold one wouldn't. She only wore it for a year then gave it back as she cheated on me and ended the relationship.

Not sure on current prices, I know that platinum can hold it's value very well as it is so rare (you should see how careful they are when making rings with it, they collect the dust in oil so it can be reused), not so sure about white gold.

The thing with white gold is I believe it is generally harder wearing than normal "yellow" gold. This is actually, believe it or not because it is not actually as pure because to give it the grey "white" colour they mix it with other metals (palladium or nickel usually) then plated with rhodium which is what gives it the shiny silver look. Which is why after a while it can become dull and need re-plating.

They do look very similar when you see them together and I honestly couldn't tell the difference. Personally I would just look for a ring that you think she will like, compare maybe a platinum and white gold ring side by side and see which you prefer.

It is not an easy choice to make, the best advice is to go out and look at them and compare ones you like, get an idea of the style you want then shop around.

Good luck and I wish you all the best,

Lee

Whatever costs the most. =P
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

I'm really to sorry to hear that...hope all is well now. I'm definitely leaning toward platinum at this point...it sounds like a better investment in the long run since its rarer and holds its value better like you said and won't lose its color or need replating. Thanks for all your help!

Awesome! Best of luck!
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.