+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Girl unable to fall in love (with me or anyone else, ever!)

Girl unable to fall in love (with me or anyone else, ever!)

I met this girl, a neighbour, at another neighbours party about 5 weeks ago. I'm 40, she's 37. Both of us are single (without children) and have been for some years. We've since become really great friends.

Friendship started off with an arrangement, I cut her grass, she does my ironing, sounds fine!

After a couple of days she starts using any excuse to see me, I must be running out of ironed shirts, her washing machine is only half full, shes walking dogs am I coming along etc, etc. Then it was just routine visits by her to my house, which I actively welcomed and encouraged (I only visit her house if theres something specific needs doing and never just invite myself).

We saw each other probably 28 days out of 30 the first month, sometimes for 10 mins, other times 3 hours. 80% of contact initiated by her. We exchange on average 10-15 texts per day each (remember we're not teenagers so thats a lot!)

We get along great, non stop chatting (I'm normally quite shy, but not with her), never turn on TV or music, just chat (in the way that new "couples" do, with never a crossed word) and really enjoy each others company.

Then the problem arises:-

I've fancied her from day one, from 2-3 weeks I started developing feelings, quite strong ones (early stages of falling in love, loss apetite, stomach ache, loss of interest in other things...including other women, been there before, know what it means).

I should add that all along she has emphasised that she is not interested in relationships anymore (with anyone, ever!). However, signals produced by her (visiting me near as dammit every day and getting along so well as we do) obviously created an impression of interest so far as I was concerned.

After 2 weeks I explained I was interested, she pretty much shrugged it off "I'm flattered but your interests are misplaced" or words to that effect. I should point out that we slept together that night, but that was the only time. Afterwards we carried on with friendship as normal.

After 3 weeks (of continued, intense friendship) I tried to explain I was developing feelings but she did the same again. Flattered but didn't take me seriously.

After 4 weeks (I'm getting frustrated and upset by now, because I'm really falling for her and despite our intense friendship she won't listen) I sat her down and made sure she really listened and understood my feelings. Her revelations were as follows (some of these were actually revealed earlier but I've summarised them together):-

Raped by uncle at 18 (uncle now dead, but unfortunately not as result of reprisal)
    Never fallen in love, ever, and incapable of that emotion (although capable of loving family)
    Married for 1 year, major disaster, husband violent and adulterous, resulting in her moving away from area for several years.
    Next relationship 3 years, didn't mean much
    Last relationship 1 year (not co-habiting), again didn't mean much
    Wants a child (on her own, artificial incemination)
    Never wants another relationship, with anyone, ever
    She has many male friends (not many of them close). Some of the straight single guys have openly expressed an interest in her but she's shrugged it off "thinking they're not serous"
    She just wants friendship with me and only comes round because she enjoys my company.

I told her I needed to cool thing down for a while and sort my head out since there are clearly issues (incompatible feelings and misinterpreted signals created by the absurdly intense friendship that she has initiated).

Since then (1 week ago) she's been quite ill (not seriously) and I've been away with family so not seen her but still in contact.

Advice please? I don't think I can continue being friends for long as it will just mess my head up even more. Has anyone ever met anyone like this and if so is the condition cureable? This is surely not a normal friendship, perhaps she's just afraid of love/relationships? I absolutely adore her, more than anyone I've ever met, including a girl I was with for 6 years!
    Last edited by Nutty; 29-07-09 at 10:03 AM.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
    I should point out that we slept together that night
    Thank you for pointing that out. Makes the story a little hotter

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    BTW, someone will give your post a serious response shortly. In the meantime, all you have is me

If your feelings are really that strong and she told you all that happened and how she can't fall for any guy, i really don't think you should continue pursuing this woman.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

I think you're wasting your time. She's very clearly invested in being a lot of work, if not impossible. Let her go on with her bad self.

Look, you're in primo divorcee territory. Decent 40-ish guys are thin on the ground, and you're a hot property if you find the right market. Get out there and look around. She's not the only fish in the sea.
    Last edited by Gigabitch; 29-07-09 at 10:15 PM.
    Spammer Spanker

you sound like a loser.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
    Advice please? I don't think I can continue being friends for long as it will just mess my head up even more.
    That's right on the money and that's exactly what you need to say to her. Sorry, but there is a mismatch of feelings and I can't be friends with you anymore.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Thanks for all the replies. I had already kind of decided that I really have no option but to let her go completely as a friend (which I feel deeply sorry about) but I needed unbiased reassurance that I should not hold out for her any longer at all. I know nothing is likely to happen between us (given her history) and our feelings are completely incompatible. I just cannot fathom out her bizarre behavior. I've never known anything like it and it's sent the wrong signals completely. Sure I normally know when a womans not interested and don't have a problem with that. Never known or even heard of someone who's not interested behaving like this though. Its not like I've chased her, quite the reverse! If I initiated this intense level of contact with a male friend they would certainly question my motives/sexuality within a few days.

She's a bitch?
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

BTW@the sex: bow chika wow wow!
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.