+ Follow This Topic

Thread: A Love Once Gone Has Now Grown Old(er)

A Love Once Gone Has Now Grown Old(er)

Facebook is really educational. I discovered the woman (then, but a girl) who was 8th grade puppy love. Haven't seen her since 1982.

Wow.

So, she really is 40 just like me...always disappointing to discover that the memory plays tricks on you when it comes to measuring time.

Realize that the last sustained period which approximated a full blown social life ended in the late 1990's !!

She's aged. Her eyes, ears, smile, and facial shape are just the same as they were back in 1982. I'd bet she's still the same sweet person, too; but with more years of living, more wisdom, and more regrets like we all have in life.

It was good to see the photo. It was yet another good reminder (had many of them in the last year or two) that life is very fluid and dynamic. People enter and exit your life all the time, even the very meaningful people have a way of entering and exiting. Make the most of the time with them. Cherish the memories. Learn the lessons that life and people offer. Time passes fast.

Philosophers have been as foolish and as immature in their view as the most innocent and emotional child--it is a human yearning to cling to the notion that we can stop time at a pleasant moment, a period of utopian bliss. It doesn't happen that way. You can't work all of life towards accomplishing the perfect moment and then stop time...it won't stop. Therefore, keep your eyes and heart open to the idea that happiness may not arrive at a time planned by you nor will unhappiness arrive at a convenient moment.

Some thoughts about love and live. Sleep well.

Gook luck......

I know what you mean, CAM. My high school boyfriend, who was drop-dead gorgeous as an 18-year-old, now looks like... just a guy. Saw him on FB. Doesn't thrill me. Doesn't pull me like a magnet. He's just a guy, and the only feelings I have about him are mildly fond ones but I have no desire to see him in person. I used to think the entire universe revolved around this person.
    Spammer Spanker

The idea that everything (EVERYTHING) is in near-chaotic motion...emotions, hormones, the reasoning process...amazing that anyone finds anyone for any form of lasting relationship. And yet, it happens. The miracle happens. Friendships. A life long love for another.

Ultimately, I believe that most of us are here on the site because we believe in miracles, even if we sometimes find ourselves pretty cynical about things romantic.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Wouldn't it be neat if some of the really cynical ones turned out to be closet romance novelists? Like the prudish secretary who wrote Story of O?

As for the rest... you're probably right Cam. I was going to add something more, but this is one of those threads that makes me feel weird about leaving my typical flip reply. Damn.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh