+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [NEWS] Jobless graduate sues her college

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    actually mcd's was required to lower the temperature of their coffee.

plus the grab the cash thing is one of the least troublesome problems of our legal system. in our legal system people serve 20+ years in prison for crimes they didn't commit, only to come out without even an apology and have their lives fall to pieces. in our legal system people get arrested with false charges and lose their jobs or hope of a job without even being convicted. in our legal system people are forced into guilty pleas because they can't afford proper representation in a trial.

i don't think it was a big problem that mc donalds paid out the medical bills for this elderly woman.
    While it is unfortunate that people are falsely imprisoned, its not something that can be 100% prevented because we are human. That doesn't mean however, that the government should be exempt from apologizing and giving that person a financial head start.

The bigger problem is how lax our judicial system has become. We have people in jail for 30 years for armed robbery, yet they may be sitting in a cell next to a guy in for 10 years for rape and kidnap. Probation is a god damn joke, you cannot justify to me that putting someone in for 60 years on first degree murder, then letting them out on probation 10 years into the sentence is fair or ethical.

McDonalds had no financial problems with paying for this woman's medical bills, but what the lawsuit did do is set a terrible trend of suing for everything. I wrecked my bike 3 weeks ago because I was being stupid and pushing it in a place I shouldn't have. My bike is guaranteed to perform to certain limits by both Kawasaki and Micheline, and I know I was within those limits. Would I sue either corporation? Hell no, I got where I was because I was being negligent. I could file a lawsuit and very well get some kind of compensation because there is no police report or documentation that could disprove my claim.

People need to take responsibility for their actions or lack there of. Sure the coffee was probably too hot, I wont deny that, but that cup had no business trying to defy gravity either. Were breeding more and more greedy people every time a judge grants a victim compensation for these ridiculous lawsuits.

You spill hot coffee, you get burned, you crash a bike, you get road rash and banged up. There's lessons to be learned, if she doesn't keep her coffee upright, she will be burned worse. If I don't slow down I might end up on a hospital bed.

Darwin is my idol, you may not agree with evolution, but everyone can agree on learning.

We have to stop bending to the will of people too stupid to protect themselves. Its slowly dragging our nation down. No wonder up and coming generations are posting lower test scores, look at these idiots we have on the 5 o'clock news.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    CBrider - i would normally agree with you about taking personal resposibility, but there is no way spilling a cup of coffee in your lap should result in burns that extend into the facia and muscle of a body. That is unreasonably hot. Besides, as I said before, McD's had literally HUNDREDS of lawsuits about the extreme temperature of the coffee. Don't you think it is just a little bit short-sigheted for them to not have been able to forsee this kind of injury?

I wont deny negligence on McDonald's part, I just think its ridiculous that you can sue for everything. Carry health insurance, things happen - you can't protect yourself from life all the time.

Yes McDonald's was wrong and yes they should have probably covered medical because it was a standing problem. Were they medical bills + 1 million responsible? No.

My previous post wasn't directed at the women who got burned as much as it was frivilous lawsuits as a whole. People can sue for things you couldn't fathom. You can't sue a college for not getting a job. You wanna sue someone? Sue your govenment for allowing the national debt to inflate to such a huge amount. Then turn around and sue your neighbor for buying a house on a sub-prime loan he KNEW he couldn't afford. Its those people who crashed our economy, not the banks. You can't hold everyone's hand.
    Last edited by Cbrider; 04-08-09 at 02:56 PM.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

do uni's in the states not provide work experience and work placement programs? how can she sue if she was provided with that? otherwise surely she would have a case. the whole point of going to uni is for better job prospects. what's the point otherwise.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    College? Experience? Muahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I'll buy the knowledge part, eventhough it's only theoretical knowledge.
    Theoretical knowledge? Man you are ****ing stupid. Don't go to a hospital, they might use their theoretical experience and theoretical knowledge on you.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 04-08-09 at 05:48 PM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    Theoretical knowledge? Man you are ****ing stupid. Don't go to a hospital, they might use their theoretical experience and theoretical knowledge on you.
    Actually, that's exactly what they do. That's why it's called "practice". Medicine is as much an art as it is a science.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrider View Post
    While it is unfortunate that people are falsely imprisoned, its not something that can be 100% prevented because we are human. That doesn't mean however, that the government should be exempt from apologizing and giving that person a financial head start.

The bigger problem is how lax our judicial system has become. We have people in jail for 30 years for armed robbery, yet they may be sitting in a cell next to a guy in for 10 years for rape and kidnap. Probation is a god damn joke, you cannot justify to me that putting someone in for 60 years on first degree murder, then letting them out on probation 10 years into the sentence is fair or ethical.

McDonalds had no financial problems with paying for this woman's medical bills, but what the lawsuit did do is set a terrible trend of suing for everything. I wrecked my bike 3 weeks ago because I was being stupid and pushing it in a place I shouldn't have. My bike is guaranteed to perform to certain limits by both Kawasaki and Micheline, and I know I was within those limits. Would I sue either corporation? Hell no, I got where I was because I was being negligent. I could file a lawsuit and very well get some kind of compensation because there is no police report or documentation that could disprove my claim.

People need to take responsibility for their actions or lack there of. Sure the coffee was probably too hot, I wont deny that, but that cup had no business trying to defy gravity either. Were breeding more and more greedy people every time a judge grants a victim compensation for these ridiculous lawsuits.

You spill hot coffee, you get burned, you crash a bike, you get road rash and banged up. There's lessons to be learned, if she doesn't keep her coffee upright, she will be burned worse. If I don't slow down I might end up on a hospital bed.

Darwin is my idol, you may not agree with evolution, but everyone can agree on learning.

We have to stop bending to the will of people too stupid to protect themselves. Its slowly dragging our nation down. No wonder up and coming generations are posting lower test scores, look at these idiots we have on the 5 o'clock news.

you are a young man being stupid and risking your life on a motorcycle. this was an elderly woman trying to get some coffee. surely you can see the difference.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

i suggest you read about the people who were exonerated after lengthy prison sentences for crimes they did not commit.

[url]http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/burden/view/[/url]
    Last edited by misombra; 04-08-09 at 09:58 PM. Reason: to add link.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

I wont deny negligence on McDonald's part, I just think its ridiculous that you can sue for everything. Its those people who crashed our economy, not the banks. You can't hold everyone's hand.

I'm sueing you for posting this. For slander and spreading lies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    Show me one college that provides you with anything but theory.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    actually, all medical-related fields do, as far as I know.... they all require clinical time.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    This actually annoys the crap out of me. I'm pretty sure nowhere in their promo materials does the college guarantee her a job when she graduated, especially during a ****ing recession. Is this girl retarded? I know people with an education AND years of experience looking for work, and they're going to get it before some person straight out of college will. Maybe the college did get her interviews, but she just wasn't hired (could have something to do with the "I-want-life-handed-to-me" attitude).

She'll lose the case and then never get hired after the type of negative press she'll get. Karma's a biotch.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    WWF Training at MIT?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOxA0FFhl88"]YouTube - MIT Humanoid Robotics Competition[/ame]

I think the choice of your words 'anything but' might be unfortunate.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

nice idea.. surprising is that there are no limits in ouw mind. julietswall.com

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    actually, all medical-related fields do, as far as I know.... they all require clinical time.
    At the college level?

EDIT: NM... you're in the US. Yeah ok... in the US the terms college and university are interchangable.
    Last edited by Yggdrasil; 05-08-09 at 04:23 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast