+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Parent Issues (need advice)

Parent Issues (need advice)

Maybe this doesn't seem important to you but it is to me and I would definitely appreciate any advice you can give.

Here's my situation:
    I'm 18 and this past week I met this girl, Anna, who's 17. We hung out a ton this week at our county fair and have become really close. This is where the problems kick in. Her parents, mostly her mother, are extremely protective and strict. I introduced myself to them and even walked around with them for a while but I have no idea how to talk to them.

To make the situation even trickier, I leave for college in about 3 weeks. As of right now her and I live about 20 min apart, but it's going to become an hour and a half. I want to find some way to spend as much time with her before I go to see if we can build something that could last through me being away.

As a side note, my parents don't really want me to take a car to college which would make it extremely difficult to come back and see Anna. I'm the only one from my area going to this school so I can't really bum rides from people.

So, my question really is, how can I get both sets of parents to loosen up and put some faith in their children?

Thanks in advance for your help.

~JFett

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    being open with them is the first obstacle that you will have to overcome. being that you're off to college, you're a bit older and a bit wiser now. you will carry more responsibilities because you're entering a new part of life. to be honest, it's gonna be hard to create a strong bond with her because you have so little time. i think the best way to keep in contact afte ryou leave would be by phone because you're parents also seem strict with the car policy. raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

So, last night I had a crazy idea and I just wanted to see what some other ppl think of it.

I figure that I've got to find some way to break the ice here (like the first phone call). But because her parents are like they are it'd be nice to impress them a little at the same time. I think I might have a dozen (or two, or even three) red tulips or some other flower (not roses yet though) sent to her house. I'm thinking I put in a little note just saying "thanks for last week. i'd really like to hang out again. give me a call. ps - tell the parents i said hi".

what'd you think?

~JFett

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    that actually might be too bold of a step. it will truely sweep the girl off of her feet, but considering that the parents have no idea that you two are spending time together, and i'm sure that her parents are really protecting, i don't think that it's a very good idea, well for now. maybe later after you've took some time to know the parents.. and considering that you have less than three weeks, i would suggest that you ask her out for a date, and pick her up when her parents are home. that way you'll get to meet them, and they'll have an idea of who you are when she brings you up in future conversations. as for now... a simple phone call to say thank you would be nice, later step it up with a card or something a bit larger, but wait on the flowers. raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...