+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I'm not sure what I need, other than advice...

I'm not sure what I need, other than advice...

I'm in a bad situation, almost a rut. I've been in love with my best friend for over a year. She has a boyfriend and has moved with him to a different state. We still talk everyday, and I am still in love with her, but I feel like we are becoming more and more distant everyday. I hate that. We used to be so close and would even talk about how we wanted to hook up with eachother, even while she was with her boyfriend (although we never actually did, so no cheating happened.) But now she doesn't talk like that at all with me anymore.

Another problem is that I'm sort of losing touch with reality and life. I just started college and haven't made any new friends, and the few I already have are not good friends so I don't spend much time with them or talk to them much. I feel like I'm becoming more alone each and every day. I'm losing hope that I will find someone to be with, or even find friends to make me feel not so alone. I'm also losing hope with my bestfriend, and I'm not trying as hard to become more like we were before she left. It's almost like I'm starting to not care about anything anymore. Part of that is good, because I no longer care what people think of me. But I feel like that's not worth it if I have to give up caring about other things as well.

So, to tie it all together, my main problem is that I'm losing my hope of being as close to my best friend as I was before, and I'm still in love with her. I need to start emotionally detaching myself from her, because I know it will only get worse and end up hurting much more.
    My question is how exactly do I do that? Completely cutting contact is not an option, for reasons I don't care to explain here. So, other than that, how can I distance myself from her and hopefully fall out of love with her?
    And also, and general advice about my situation is much appreciated.

You need to go out and do things. She's in another state hundreds of miles away, accept that I look around your own world.

I made the mistake of going to college with my head all caught up on a girl. It was a terrible mistake and I basically robbed myself of my first two years of college experience. It took me a while to get over her, but I am happier now than I have ever been and I am not obsessing over the opposite sex. You are going to lose a lot of contacts from your high school years, most of the friends you will retain into your later life will be friends from college.

You are lacking the will power and motivation to better your surroundings, thats something only you can fix.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

My advice : Simple words I started to live by when I fell in a rut similar to yours.

"Never turn down a social invitation."

You will end up meeting so many new people and living many new experiences.

You'll get through it, everybody does. Take care and good luck mate!

I'm in a similar situation. I'm sure your brain knows it's hopeless to want to be with the girl, your heart just needs to catch up. It will do slowly, just get out and do things, meet people, take up hobbys, etc etc. The last thing you want to do is sit around with your thoughts.