+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Just broke up with girlfriend

Just broke up with girlfriend

I'm 19 years old and just had my first break-up with a girl. We're in college and have been together for about about a year. We've been drifting apart for the past few months but we do have a special bond and I thought we should try to remain friends. We had the discussion at a coffee shop and I tried to be as gentle and as diplomatic as possible but it did not go well. She became very upset and emotional. I tried to calm her down, but was unsuccessful. She walked away in tears, then came back, slapped my face and walked away again. Does it sound like I did something terribly wrong or is this a fairly normal female reaction?

what did you say or do?

you didn't mention what you did to make her upset and slap you

You would have to do something bad wrong for me to slap you.
    Spammer Spanker

It was pretty generic. Just that we seemed to be moving apart emotionally and maybe that it was better for both of us to move on. Plus, we maybe it wasn't practical to have a relationship since we were both really busy with academics, activities, etc.

ok, so she was just hurt that you broke up with her...

then she watches too much television because she was walking away and she thought "oh wait" and came back for a TV worthy soap opera moment where she slaps you

Nah, you didn't do anything wrong. You didn't want to be with her, she wanted to stay together...

<< then she watches too much television because she was walking away and she thought "oh wait" and came back for a TV worthy soap opera moment where she slaps you >>

Ah, ok. She's a biology major. That's something you would expect more from a drama/theater major, LOL.

Mmmm, I think there is more to this story, something completely separate from the coffee shop to make her slap you. Like Giga insinuated, women don't just slap without just cause.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

The only thing I could think of was that maybe she was upset that I didn't follow her as she was walking out. Maybe I should have tried to comfort her? She had actually walked out of the coffee shop and then came back.

it's my fantasy to slap a guy in the face like alexis carrington does in dynasty..i'd do it just coz i could and it turns me oooooonnnnn, gimme any excuse. i've never had the chance yet
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Unless you told her you were breaking up with her because you were dumping her for her best friend or something else really insulting and painful, slapping seems a bit dramatic and immature. Sounds like you might be better off without someone who resorts to violence of any type.
    Life is too short to be unhappy or spend your time with people you don't like.

How can she slap?!

At worst, the slap stung a little and was embarassing, but if it was in any way therapeutic for her then I'm ok with it. I'm really more concerned with her well being.

Scott

Maybe it was the diplomatic part. Sometimes logic does not suffice given the situation. I think it's easier sometimes for someone to be broken up with over feelings of jealousy or being hurt. Cause it givens an emotional reason. You don't seem to be in the wrong, but thats probably why she was upset. because emotionally, she didn't "get it" or understand where you were coming from. and good for you for caring about her well being, she probably doesnt realize it now, but maybe one day she'll appreciate it.