+ Follow This Topic

Thread: He doesn't seem to be letting go.

He doesn't seem to be letting go.

I've been broken up with my boyfriend for a month and a half now. His choice not mine. We talk to one another frequently, the longest we've gone with not talking to one another is close to 3 days. We decided to be friends. His reasons for breaking up is because he wants to hang out with his friends now, be young and he doesn't want the commitment of a relationship. On that note though I made sure he was clear with me that this wasn't about going out and sleeping around. He assures me its not, he hasn't slept with anyone else since. And I do trust him and that he's telling me the truth.

He continually reassures me that he still loves me and that the break up had nothing to do with any lack of or fading feelings. He goes out and does his hanging out with friends, his young thing that he broke up with me to do. Which I'm happy about, if thats what he thinks he needs to do to be happy then I want him to be doing it.

He's been doing a lot of things (other than the frequent contact) that makes me think he maybe isn't letting go. Like, lots of times after he hangs out with them he'll bail on them and call me up to hang out. I was really sick last week and he came and took care of me, now he's sick but he says he doesn't care. Often when we hang out he'll talk about our future (I dont know if thats just a slip or if he thinks thats the way it'll be one day) And he's been doing all the things he slowly stopped doing while we were dating, like he's making plans for out 'hang outs' now he opens and holds all doors for me again and the other night he called me to come over for a movie and popcorn (he makes his popcorn a special way that I love) and we were talk about how much I miss it a couple days ago. So yeah then last night he invites me over, by the time I get there he had everything ready, set out like a little popcorn dinner! There was a lot of little details that I wont waste your time on but it caught me completely off guard...

I know these are not huge things, and I am not keeping my fingers crossed that he will change his mind. Cause he has a lot of work to do to get my trust back. But I'm just confused...I want him to be happy and content with the choice he made.

Any thoughts or insight on why he's acting like this?

I think he misses you and regrets his decision. Or he really wants to make amends, maybe not as bf/gf tho. The only way to know is if you talk to him.

If you want him to get back with you don't even ask...let him wonder about you...and wonder if you'd be back with him. I think its fine to hang out and have fun but don't get physical--unless you're officially back together. Don't say anything..he broke up with you and he should be the one trying to get you back. It seems like he wants to, so make him curious about you and don't make it seem like you'd be back with him in a second...have fun together without pressure (but no sex)...
    Good luck!
    Last edited by sarah2; 19-10-09 at 10:26 AM.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Wow. So he holds all the cards. Interesting.

I don't see why you aren't going out and hanging with your friends and meeting other guys.

Let him flit around you but do your own thing. When you get tired of him being your pseudo-boyfriend, ask him what he thinks he's doing.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh