+ Follow This Topic
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Over 30 forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    Are you kidding? Health food is the cheapest. I spend no more than $10 on vegetables that last me the whole week and salads make up half of my meals. People who don't eat healthy are just lazy.
    Vegetables tend to do poorly in a packback in 90+ degree weather. They also bring about food poisoning and other problems on the street. Trust me... for the impoverished on the street or in filthier conditions... 'health food' is not cheaper.

Also... it's a lot easier to steal candies than fruits and vegetables as one is far more available than the other (i.e. convenience stores.. etc.).. so once again, it's more readily available to the impoverished.

Then finally, people are more apt to give out junk food and canned goods to the homeless (which spoil quickly when opened) than they are any other foods for some reason.

When I was homeless... something with sugar was more or less the staple diet as it held out longer, was easier to find, and less likely to make you sick.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    Then finally, people are more apt to give out junk food and canned goods to the homeless (which spoil quickly when opened) than they are any other foods for some reason.
    I tried to give a homeless fellow a beautiful bag of Granny Smith apples. He didn't want it. Took my Cape Cod chips, tho.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    I tried to give a homeless fellow a beautiful bag of Granny Smith apples. He didn't want it. Took my Cape Cod chips, tho.
    They last longer... easier to ration... and hold more value with others when you need to trade for something better.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    Vegetables tend to do poorly in a packback in 90+ degree weather. They also bring about food poisoning and other problems on the street. Trust me... for the impoverished on the street or in filthier conditions... 'health food' is not cheaper.
    Vegetables last much longer than any other type of food you can use for nourishment. Definitely much longer than junk food.

If I was homeless and made $5-$10 a day from begging there's no way I'd eat anything else. I think it comes down to personal choice like Indi mentioned. They choose chips over apples because they fill you up faster not because of their monetary value, they are not thinking about the long term effects.
    Last edited by Mish; 30-10-09 at 09:59 AM.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't know, it costs me more to buy the veggies for a salad than to buy a meal at McDonalds (not that I eat it).
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Are you kidding? Health food is the cheapest. I spend no more than $10 on vegetables that last me the whole week and salads make up half of my meals. People who don't eat healthy are just lazy.
    the thing about vegetables is that they don't keep you satisfied for very long. i must eat atleast 4-5 times a day and this is without considering my drinking sessions.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Vegetables last much longer than any other type of food you can use for nourishment. Definitely much longer than junk food.

If I was homeless and made $5-$10 a day from begging there's no way I'd eat anything else.
    if i were homeless, i'd hit up the dollar menu like it was a wheel of fortune machine in vegas.

raverboy

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Do homeless people ever steal the macadamia packets people leave outside their houses?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i dunno, i've never heard of anyone that leaves macadamia nuts outside their houses.

raverboy

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What? When we were on the Big Island, there were houses that left bags of macadamias at a kiosk outside their house. $3 a bag, honour system. It was in the hills north of Kona...
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    hrmm... well in that case, they probably had a tree and these bags were their access. i've heard of people doing that with mango and other various fruits. being that they had an access of nuts i'm sure that they were out in the country side where there probably weren't many homeless if anything.

from what i've heard though, this hasn't happened to my knowledge, but then again, i think that i've only been to kona like twice.

raverboy

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Excess mango. You live in paradise. I have a couple cherry trees and some blackberry bushes.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    haha well.. mango is only one thing... there are other fruits that also come in excess.. one would be lychee. how many of you people have tried fresh lychee??

raverboy

Geez, I'm not starting threads anymore :-P

If I was homeless and made $5-$10 a day from begging there's no way I'd eat anything else. I think it comes down to personal choice like Indi mentioned. They choose chips over apples because they fill you up faster not because of their monetary value, they are not thinking about the long term effects.

Hard to focus on eating healthy when you're hungry all the time, uncertain about the future, lacking in dignity, stinking to high heaven, and people look at you like you're something they scraped off their shoes.

Btw, it's very difficult to collect $5-$10 a day (at least in Dallas it was) as the police tend to constantly move the homeless from one place to another. Also when you do finally find a place that does hand out sufficient money, that's when the assholes show up and run off the 'decent folk' by being pushy or damn near nuts.

It's easy to assume all the things you'll do or how things should be when you've never had to actually face such a delimma. Intelligent or not... people don't give out fruits and vegetables very often, they don't store well, they're not desired by anyone you could trade with, and they will make you sick from salmonella poisoning if you keep them around for too long. Anything that needs to be cooked or kept cool is definitely out of the question unless you have reliable ties to someone who can provide those luxuries for you -- and then you have to wonder, at what cost?

It's not about the monetary value of the food... it's about the street value. And "health food" has almost no street value, whereas junk food does. A bag of chips can get you some smokes, some smokes can get you some money, and that little bit of money help you to get a new backpack, clothes, bus pass or whatever else you need -- or more junk food for trading. I managed to get my hands on a hersey bar when I was on the street... traded that for a week long bus pass so I could get to the shelters that were dotted across town.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast