+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Over 30 forum?

Over 30 forum?

Maybe a board for people who've actually lived a little and went through some of the stuff other people just wonder about would be good to seperate from the high school, freshman year at college type stuff?

Hard to tell how old people are on here and maybe someone who's 40 with kids and an ex shouldn't have to sift through advice, even though well intended, from someone who's living in their parents basement or in a dorm room.

Hello Primo,

Very good suggestion.
    "Invest wisely and have money work hard for you"

lovead are u good lookin?
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    We could just have a subsection of the forum, I guess. Personally, I'd like the cutoff to be more like 35-40, tho. A lot of just-30s barely have their lives going.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

im 25, so i wont make the cut? :-/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Sometimes the hardest part isn't saying GoodBye, Its waking up the next morning knowing that its TRUE" -AR

" When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with someone, you want your life to start as soon possible" -?

"Too Fast to Live, Too Young to Die" -James Dean

Pity we can't base this on experience... as that seems to matter more.

The 40 year old virgins aren't a myth y'know. Age is not a guarantee of wisdom.

Not all "youngins" are clueless or without valid experiences either.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    True. But there aren't many 25 year olds with decades of marriage, child-rearing or career experience either. Or death of a loved one (grandparents don't usually count) or dealing with severe illness. Those kinds of experiences profoundly change one's perceptions of life and aren't usually found in someone that young.

Its like those posters giving advice on marriage or child-rearing but are neither married nor parents. LOL.

I agree w/Primo. Posters should at least have the option of selecting for a subset of replies, like the 'Ask a Male/Female' sections. And like those sections, there's no Forum Police to keep anyone out if they really want to contribute. But its a way of getting more relevant responses. I notice tho, that female regulars posting in the 'Ask a Male' section usually state they are not male.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

You're right Aeradalia, but it's very rare. No one's "done it all", but if there's something I haven't experienced, been tested by or learned from, I'm not sure what it is. I generally like to help others, it's very therapeutic for me, but when I do look for advice I wouldn't mind knowing that it's coming from someone who's been around the block more than a few times themselves.

No offense to anyone, hey, we were all young, experiencing things and learning once upon a time too. Having that life knowledge is about the only good thing about getting older I guess :-P

I think that would be a foolish mistake. People in general usually respond to threads where they qualify with experience. If a college freshie or a high school student posts in your thread, in most cases you would be able to recognize it right away.

I think it's easier to weed through the garbage than it is to get members to post in a subforum/new forum section. You'd be eliminating the chance of quite a bit of noteworthy advice.

If you can't tell whether or not the person's been around the block a few times use your judgment to determine the validity of his or her advice. Besides, you'll rarely take only one member's advice into consideration. So what are a couple of derailing high school text speak responses to ya? Are they really that bothersome? I mean, there really isn't even a way, not even age, to measure experience. Besides, everybody has their own personal bias.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 19-10-09 at 04:28 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    LOL. Its hardly a 'foolish mistake'. More like an experiment.

This kind of what it meant about the age difference, I think. Only the people under 30 are complaining, btw.

I would have no problems if you young ones also wanted an 'under 30' subforum. People your own age to relate to. Tho, you are right Dopple, in those dating/clubbing threads I tend to just not post b/c I often don't feel I relate enough to contribute.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    look at me.. i'm 29 and i think that i've experiences enough....

anyhow, if you want a serious conversation... then i'm not the one to talk to... unless it's in a pm.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Don't be such a stick in the mud doppelgaenger, maybe us "older" folk just want to be exclusive :-D

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    lovead are u good lookin?
    what a question. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    I think that would be a foolish mistake. People in general usually respond to threads where they qualify with experience. If a college freshie or a high school student posts in your thread, in most cases you would be able to recognize it right away.

I think it's easier to weed through the garbage than it is to get members to post in a subforum/new forum section. You'd be eliminating the chance of quite a bit of noteworthy advice.

If you can't tell whether or not the person's been around the block a few times use your judgment to determine the validity of his or her advice. Besides, you'll rarely take only one member's advice into consideration. So what are a couple of derailing high school text speak responses to ya? Are they really that bothersome? I mean, there really isn't even a way, not even age, to measure experience. Besides, everybody has their own personal bias.
    There is a point... the same problem i think of when i want to create individual country based forum..

Quote Originally Posted by Primo View Post
    Don't be such a stick in the mud doppelgaenger, maybe us "older" folk just want to be exclusive :-D
    yes, it will be good to have some 'exclusive' section for older folk to chill out..
    "Invest wisely and have money work hard for you"

I was not complaining... merely pointing out how age can be separate of experience.

It wouldn't be wise to linger with my own "age group" specifically, as they generally do not show significant interest in acquiring more experiences or knowledge than they feel is appropriate for their age. I on the other hand, have come to rely on the older generations to give me clues to what will be coming my way so I may prepare for it. It has proved to be a useful strategy and I'm not keen on relinquishing that quite so easily.

I also like to test out my "theories" while posting here, knowing that the more experienced ones will gladly point out the flaws and give enough clues for me to figure out why such theories are wrong. On rare occasions, I have pointed out flaws in even the more experienced bunch which may not have been possible if I had been summarily dismissed.

I suspect there would be impedements to the sharing of knowledge on this forum if there are distinctions made based on age alone, rather than level of experience.

If it's the level of experience that is needed to be divulged in order to give merit to the advice being given.... all you have to do is ask. I'll be more than happy to not only share my list of personal experiences but also the advice and observations of others that have helped to influence my perspective on life, love, and all else that matters.

i don't really care. that forum would probably be just as boring as the other exclusive forums. except when a member announces they're knocked up, of course.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast