+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Panic Attacks (?)

Panic Attacks (?)

I think my girlfriend gets panic attacks - really bad ones.

We had spent the whole morning together and decided to go out to lunch. Everything is normal, we're both happy and laughing, etc. Then she reaches for her water and bursts into tears/freaking out. So we move outside and she says that she feels like she's dying, that her limbs are falling off, tingling, and that she's outside her body. Then her teeth started chattering really hard. It took about 45 minutes to calm her down, and she felt weird for the rest of the day. She is not on medication, has no long history of mental issues/panic attacks, BUT she was raped a year ago. I am wondering if this is somehow related, even with the lapse in time. And how is it triggered? IS it triggered by something? Has anyone experienced this? She is going to see a counselor this week, fyi.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I've had panic attacks, and yes, they were triggered. (Driving over bridges/high things.) I'm not sure what triggers hers, but she probably has a pretty good idea. I think the best way to describe it is that something that usually might cause a tiny bit of anxiety causes your nervous system to overreact...

I feel for her... they're pretty awful, and they come on unexpectedly. Fortunately, I haven't had one in a few years.

I agree that they are usually triggered by something. Some type of anxiety. I haven't experienced a full panic attack, but what I went through recently was nasty as well. It was triggered by some type of anxiety which caused a shortness of breath, then I felt like I was suffocating, on the verge of passing out and like death was imminent. When you are in that state of mind it can be quite scary. All you want to do is just escape somewhere where you'll be safe, nothing else matters.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

panic attacks are usually triggered by a source ... anything u remember that sparked this? professional help is the best buddy

Thanks guys. No I have no idea if this was triggered by anything. She already had a meeting with a counselor which is good.

Every couple of years right about this time of year I'll start having them at random. When I was a teenager they were crushing but now I just realize what they are and ignore them till they go away and then forget about them.
    -Tough eyes, kind heart-