+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Possible soon-to-be single father...how to cope with break up and future

Possible soon-to-be single father...how to cope with break up and future

i've been with my gf for a little under 2 years now. our relationship hasn't been the greatest in recent memory. everything was peachy the first 6 months as expected during the honey moon phase. we were both crazy about each other and spent all our free time together. it was at the 6 month mark she became pregnant. from that day on, things were just up and down, with more downs.

we did a great job raising our baby, who is now 8 months old. i'm amazed that we were strong enough together for those 8 months despite all the ups and downs we had. we've both had thoughts of breaking up before and there were plenty of times we were miserable and unhappy with one another, but always came "running" back to each other and making up for our arguments.

all the stress from parents disapproval, me not wanting to get married right away (i wanted to build our relationship and see if would withstand some time beyond the 6 month honey moon phase), life changing event of a baby coming, financial problems, raising a baby, etc...this all added up and took it's toll on both of us.

the situation could be a lot different had i stepped up and said this is the girl i love and want to be with forever. but parents strong disapproval, our arguments, and her short temper had me second guessing our relationship. i care for my gf, but did not want to marry with doubts in my head/heart. i still want to stay with her and work through our issues.

but my gf wants to move on and see other people. based on the past couple days, this one looks like it's for real.

in the past, i have not had serious problems with break-ups. you move on by not seeing/talking to them, seeing friends, traveling, keeping yourself busy with other things, etc. my situation is different because our baby involved and my gf and i will be forever connected to each for the rest of our lives. so even if we break up, we'll still be talking and seeing each other to some degree. i've got a strong support group of family and friends, but i've discovered that i'm emotionally weak and change

if this separation occurs, i need to know the best way to cope with such a break up, becoming a single father, accepting the fact that my gf will find someone else, and what type of future i should/could expect (especially in the realm of dating and possibly starting another serious relationship).

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Just look at Jason Mesnick... apparently guys with baggage (and by baggage I just mean he's got a kid) are in high demand. Unless your kid is hell on wheels and your wife is a crazy axe murderer I don't think you'll have a problem.