+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Just To Avoid...

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo View Post
    Fras, I don't think she's being that idealistic. There's a difference between not being intimidated and fearing for your safety.
    There's also a difference between being jaded, and being naive, neither which is beneficial to a person in a high risk area.

Quote Originally Posted by CocoChanel View Post
    Don't confuse common sense with stereotype.

If someone APPROACHES YOU then they are stepping into your zone.
    You have every right to defend and protect yourself... in some circumstances this is even protected by law.

Pay attention to what I said. I said it's unfair for someone to be mistreated because of their genetic makeup. In this case I specificly pointed out that women who look a certain way (attractive, pretty) are treated badly due to stereotypes. Pretty girls are snobby, self absorbed and some other assumptions and stereotypes.
    Frasbee. You picked up where you left off... but you didn't follow the topic as it was started.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    There's also a difference between being jaded, and being naive, neither which is beneficial to a person in a high risk area.
    When someone naive 'innocently' ends up in the wrong area, they usually get turned around and pointed back in the right direction (the 'burbs) fairly quickly. The rest are there for a reason...

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Frasbee. You picked up where you left off... but you didn't follow the topic as it was started.
    Oh, well cry me a river, I believe the pros to being attractive easily outweigh the cons.

And once again, your argument is very biased towards your situation.

As you've already pointed out, it's not all encompassing of other groups.

My point proven.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My point proven.
    You've proven that all people have prejudices, and some indulge in discriminatory behavior.

Wow.

No... that's not it.
    What's your problem anyway?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    No... that's not it.
    What's your problem anyway?
    I'm arguing with you?

I spare no one when I argue.

That's probably why my girlfriend doesn't like to argue with me...

Is that what we are doing? Arguing?
    LOL!

Look, we can't be arguing when you aren't even following the subject.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't claim to be non-judgmental. I just don't believe in mistreating someone because of a stereotype.
    I agree with you Coco. BUT, as you say, you'd be a fool not to take stereotypes into account in certain circumstances. Like what Gribble mentioned about a thug and the possibility of getting mugged.

Chances are, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

Sure, sometimes you are pleasantly surprised, but only a fool would ignore the obvious on the hope the stereotype is wrong. Particularly if something might go badly wrong. If it costs you nothing or little to keep an open mind, go right ahead. Its a great attitude to have, IMO. Putting exceptional trust towards someone can sometimes yield exceptional results. But you have to weigh risk vs. benefit in such cases. Categories and stereotypes exist for a reason. They weren't created in a contextual vacuum.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I agree. That's why in response to what Gribble said. I stated, Don't confuse common sense with stereotype. Of course if someone approached me, I would use safety precautions. Defending yourself while in the public is common sense, ya know? I just mean while socializing with others I don't think it's fair to mistreat someone because of a stereotype.

to me not allowing gay people to marry is worse than treating them badly on the street.

saying you don't mind gay people but you don't believe in gay marriage is like saying you don't mind black people you just don't think they should have an education.
    Last edited by misombra; 06-11-09 at 09:17 AM.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The reason this conversation started is because Primo and I both agreed that I was blamed for things I didn't necessarily start up. My experiences in this forum have been good and bad. I've made two good friends and a lot of enemies. With that being a shared observation between us, my only point is that I don't fit into the stereotype but I'm often put into the category.

If someone took the time to get to know someone, learn about their struggles, learn about who they are... you just might see otherwise.
    All I'm saying is if you get blamed for something it's not because of your looks. If anything, you get away with shit because of your looks.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    to me not allowing gay people to marry is worse than treating them badly on the street.

saying you don't mind gay people but you don't believe in gay marriage is like saying you don't mind black people you just don't think they should have an education.
    Good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    All I'm saying is if you get blamed for something it's not because of your looks. If anything, you get away with shit because of your looks.
    Yep. Whatever.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast