+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Nightmares...

Nightmares...

This thread is mainly meant to help aid me in sleeping. Over the past few days my dreams have progressively gotten worse... deteriorating once more into anxious, fear-based painful dreams which are profoundly vivid and incredibly real. So much so to where on occasion I experience waking dreams. Needless to say, sleep doesn't come easily as I'd rather endure sleep deprivation than to enter a world in which I am powerless every night.

Also, the general sense of well-being that the drugs had created is beginning to wear off, giving way to anxiety, sadness, fear, and feelings of rejection and isolation. In everyday life I've noticed I have become more withdrawn, in that I feel I have very little to offer in trivial conversation and notice little difference between being alone and being around others. I feel I leave no lasting impression and am inconsequential to those around me.

The days drone on and are meaningless. A veil of numbness distorts everything, and I can't seem to bring myself to really care anymore.

Well, anyway, hopefully voicing these feelings will relieve whatever stress I feel so that I may have pleasant dreams. If not, then I guess it really doesn't matter.

Goodnight... I hope.

P.S.... having a pet around does seem to lesson the effects of the nightmares when I do wake up, and the comfort is very welcomed.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

What are the dreams about?
    I would like to know, it would help some in seeing what your fears are.
    Remember what you see in dreams is a way for your brain to reason things out.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    are you taking any medications, especially new ones?

Your post surprised me.

I never thought for a brief moment that you would deserve to (or should) feel the way you do.

You're a wonderful person with a sharp mind - and I don't usually hand out compliments like this.

Don't let go of hope. There's ALWAYS hope.

Quote Originally Posted by RonHH View Post
    What are the dreams about?
    I would like to know, it would help some in seeing what your fears are.
    Remember what you see in dreams is a way for your brain to reason things out.
    The dreams are very vivid and tend to involve death, darkness, anxieties, and helplessness.

Last night I dreamed about war games in which the bullets were real. Children were killing each other... dogs were tearing them apart... the entire city was burning and the night was eternal.

The next dream involved me falling to my death... and the dream after that I was publicly humiliated and beaten... then the final dream I was burned to death until I finally woke up.

I tend to remember most of my dreams... including the transitions from one dream to the next.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    are you taking any medications, especially new ones?

I was on fluoxetine and trazadone until about two weeks ago. While I was on them my dreams were still vivid and prevalent, but they were pleasant and encouraging.

Right now, I'm not on any medications...

- James Allen

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Excretion of the fluoxetine can take several weeks, I think, depending on how long you were taking it. That the content of your dreams has changed can be attributed to whatever is going on in your life...

Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    The dreams are very vivid and tend to involve death, darkness, anxieties, and helplessness.

Last night I dreamed about war games in which the bullets were real. Children were killing each other... dogs were tearing them apart... the entire city was burning and the night was eternal.

The next dream involved me falling to my death... and the dream after that I was publicly humiliated and beaten... then the final dream I was burned to death until I finally woke up.

I tend to remember most of my dreams... including the transitions from one dream to the next.
    I don't think I'm the one to give advice on this, but there is a url to look up your dreams. I also think you should see a Dr. and get something to help you sleep through the night so you can get some rest.

If I break any forum rules by posting a URL I'm sorry.

[url]http://www.dreamsleep.net/[/url]

Thanks for the link RonHH.

From what I could interpret on that site... the dream about the children killing each other with guns and being attacked by dogs in a city that was on fire in a world without sunlight was this:

The part of myself that is carefree, innocent, and needs reassurance and security has been neglected along with repressed aggressions and possibly sexual desires. Th purer part of my being and the anger I feel can't be suppressed in the subconscious any longer. I yearn to be happy and to also express all the anger and pain I feel, and I've been denying that. I really shouldn't.

I suspect the medication just surpressed all of that... hence the sudden return of nightmares when I stopped taking them. None of my problems were really solved -- they've just been waiting for me.

I guess the question is... what's a healthy way to express anger? And how do you show the more carefree side of your nature without getting hurt?

- James Allen

Hi, I'm glad that helped, Now for the anger.
    Are you able to run, jog or something that wears you out. Some buy a punching bag.
    Friends are good for this problem too, but be sure you tell your friend what your doing !!!
    I don't mean to have you punch them but yell at them !!! If they know where your comming from they won't care.
    Take care and hoping the best for you.
    ~Ron~