+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider Bites...

Spider Bites...

About a two weeks ago I was bitten by a spider on the outer thigh and then I was bitten again about a week ago on my hand.

Well the bite on my thigh made a section about the size of my hand turn black and blue, swell up, and I lost a lot of sensation. The color finally faded, along with the swelling... but the sensation is slow to return. It's not numb anymore... but it still doesn't feel "quite right."

The other bite is on my left hand between the knuckles of my last and second to last finger. It turned black, made my entire hand swell up and the joints ache. I doctored it everyday removing what appeared to be dead tissue, cleaning it to keep it from becoming infected and keeping it chilled as heat seemed to actually make it worse (oddly enough). As far as I can tell no more tissue is dying, but the wound went from a couple of tiny punture marks to about the size of a nickle before the swelling finally subsided. Now it seems to be knitting itself back together... but it will leave quite a nasty scar.

I live in Texas... so we have a wide range of spiders here with varying degrees of nasty bites. If I had to guess I would think this was a Brown Recluse bite (at least on my hand)... but it's difficult to tell since mostly the 'worst-case scenarios' are mentioned. Rarely are the minor reactions discussed.

Curious as to what anyone else's thoughts might be.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

I would get the pest control in to do the place up for at least a year, but before then I would go on the hunt for the pest who did it. He wouldn't escape justice.

This sound really nasty Dalia, I hope the bites don't repeat
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

brown recluse bites will eat your flesh. we have them here i'm sure you have them too. do you have health insurance? you should check up on it.

my bf's aunt got bit by one of those and the back of one of her legs has an enormous crater.

what part of texas do you live in?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

I live in East Texas... it stays humid and warm here most of the year... except for a brief cold snap in late winter.

Nope... the perks of being poor -- no health insurance. Texas is actually one of the worse places for any kind of aid... I've had the benefit of learning first hand when I was homeless and then once more from the mental health clinic.

Regular pesticides usually do not kill brown recluses... they seem immune to it. From what I've gathered, they're one of the few spiders that scavenge as well... Believe me, I've tried to get rid of them, but they keep coming into my room.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

wow. can you go to the emergency room? medicaid? brown recluse bites are particularly nasty.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

I don't qualify for medicaid... was turned down for reasons that were never fully disclosed. Emergency rooms here will make you wait and wait if you don't have insurance (or aren't gushing blood on the floor).

I'll give it another week... if it doesn't clear up by then... then I'll see what else I can do. However, it is starting to heal... which is encouraging.

- James Allen

Nooo don't hurt the spideys I'll take care of them :/

Hurt them? It was a hit and run... never saw the little bugger!

- James Allen

I had a bite on my abdomen a long time ago that sounds similar to what you had on your thigh. I let it run it's course and it took forever to heal, but I didn't get a scar out of it.

You're a bright chicka babe...if you're ever in a pinch, can't get to the Dr and think you have an infection, you can always go to the Livestock supply store to get some antibiotics...the quality and standards are same as human grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Primo View Post
    you can always go to the Livestock supply store to get some antibiotics...the quality and standards are same as human grade.
    "Advil Liqigels*"

*For use in cows

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

WTF? Go to a ****ing doctor, right now.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Here D, Dopples thread where I mention how I treated my son's spider bite. Probably no help now, but mbe next time:

[url]http://www.loveforum.net/off-topic-discussion/26669-ive-been-bitten.html[/url]
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Spider?Bite? AAAAAAAaaaAAaAaAaaAAaaAAaA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's my worst nightmare! i think I would die from a heart attack having a spider on me and being sure he can bite
    I wazzzz here

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    I would get the pest control in to do the place up for at least a year, but before then I would go on the hunt for the pest who did it. He wouldn't escape justice.
    You'd just be lowering yourself to its level, man!
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Aera, I have a friend who almost lost a foot from a recluse bite ten years ago and STILL has problems with his ankle. It can last a long, long time.
    Spammer Spanker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast