+ Follow This Topic

Thread: EvE Online?

EvE Online?

I usually stay the hell away from MMORPG's, but I think that EvE might be something that I can hold up and, unlike other games, not have a negative impact on normal life in the process, mainly by catering for AFK rather than active "grinding" (depending on your arrangements, that is), and of course it's just so very different and complex.

So as I am about to finish my exams I decided to give it a go for just a month and see if its too my liking.

Have any of you others given it a shot? How did it turn out?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I tried Eve briefly. IT 's a game I think would have been fun had I started playing when it first came out. As it is, there's so much catching up, it's just not worth it. \
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

I've not tried it, Lipp but from what I've read, the consensus seems to be that you have to spend alot of time in it to really make it a fun experience. But I'm sure it's not that steep of an investment to try it out.

I've been playing Champions Online, the superhero MMO. Totally different theme than a deep space game, but loads of fun nonetheless (and not a total time sink)
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Actually, you don't have to spend a lot of time playing it. That's why I tried it out in the first place. It isn't an enormous time sink like all the other MMOs. Instead of grinding for dozens of hours to level up, you gain new skills on a real-time basis whether you're in game or not. It takes 3 days to learn Battleships II, for example.

So theoretically you could pick out the skills you want and let your character build up for a year without ever touching the game proper. You'd be too broke to actually go out and buy the battleship you're now qualified to pilot, granted...

The problem is everyone's been playing for years. Everyone's brimming over with skills. You can't go out and do anything fun because there aren't any new players around.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Ah I see. I must be thinking of another MMO. Most seem to be gigantic time sinks.

Maybe we could all start playing together!

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ^For the time sink comments.

I got the fighter pilot game for my guys to use on our iTouch, but that's as far as I'll go. We play with relatives over the internet. Its pretty neat technology.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My uncles are huge sim fans. We play this helicopter sim that's outrageously complicated. It takes twenty minutes to start the goddamn chopper and lift off--unless you cheat, like I do. Nothing beats blasting Flight of the Valkyries while swooping over a column of armored vehicles, all guns a-blazing while my uncles scream at me to actually use my freakin' sites and missiles to fight from a mile away. Balls to that. Mark I eyeballs and blood, guts and glory for me, thank you.

I die a lot and jeopardize our missions. But I die with style.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

Yah, I've dealt with the time sink problem firstly, as mentioned, with the skill system, and secondly to do asteroid mining while afk to make money, as I will still have to spend most of my time on studies and work, and then for the few hours I actually do play I can always vest on fun stuff. Also, as a recent revamp, new players get a very significant training speed increase to catch up for the first few months.

Which is opposed to traditional "hardcore" gameplay, where you are always expected to be playing actively, even for the most mind-numbingly boring tasks.

The problem with there being plenty of older players is probably true, though do you mean it in regards to PvP or mission-running?
    Not sure about missions, but at least in PvP I like how the "tackler" role caters for new players to take part of fleet operations - can't think of any other game where you can do that within a day of playing. Will see if I become a sitting duck once I try to play with the big boys.
    Last edited by Lipp; 15-11-09 at 03:17 AM.

I stay far away from online games of any kind. These days I can only afford a few hours a week to do a couple of missions in something like GTA or Dead Space or Fallout3.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

never played an MMO, but that graph made me lol

Wow is the worst of the bunch by a mile.

I gave that up and now I just play an hour or so a day, I don't have time for anymore than that. This new Call of Duty is the best thing to hit a console in a decade.

I;ve heard Eve is good and caters to an older group of people because its not entertaining for kids. The closest I have played to anything Eve like was Homeworld.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

I played WoW for a few years and keep wanting to go back to playing it for some reason. It's like crack.