+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: H1N1 (aka Swine Flu)

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

H1N1 (aka Swine Flu)

It's rampant in my area right now, everyone seems to be getting it. I believe I actually had it myself, but I nipped it in the bud and fought it off. Three people from my work had it.

Any cases where you all are? Are you getting immunized?

I think it's pretty hyped up. They really try to scare everyone about the possibility of death (which occurs with any flu), but despite being a hotspot there's been no reported deaths in my area. Thoughts?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Everyone here has had it. I got it bad in summer. My boyz slept it off in a weekend. Seems to affect people differently.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Wow Indi, what're you doing up so late?

From your perspective, do you think this push for immunization is a lot of hype?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Friend of mine picked it up in Singapore, otherwise there's not much notice of it around here, I'm not worried at all and recently noticed that vaccine-related deaths are stirring stuff up a bit back in swede-land.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    nooo not again swine flu

No I didn't hear about someone got sick , no I didn't vaccinate , my two friends from Sweden were sick few days after taking vaccine. And most of people I know (90%) don't want to vaccinate.
    I wazzzz here

i'm terrified of getting the swine flu right now where i think normally i wouldn't be.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Listen to whatever your OB/GYN tells you to do, misombra. You have different risk status than anyone else posting on this board.

As for my opinion, I think whether or not one should vaccinate depends on how healthy they are. For example, if you have asthma or COPD, you should definitely vaccinate, or stay away from people all together. the flu can kill you. If you are a health care worker, you should vaccinate so as not to pose a danger to your patients who are sick (likewise people who have regular contact with people whose immune system is already compromised). If you are a college kid (especially living in the dorms) that can't afford to miss a week of school, you should vaccinate. If you are otherwise healthy, and wouldn't mind the inconvenience of missing a few days to a week of your life, then you have other options.

I haven't had it yet of course, nobody lives out here either.

I don't think I had it, but I was sick for 3 weeks and change. It was a flu first, then straight to a stomach flu, then to a cold, which I still sorta have now.

I don't think there has been any cases of it down here yet, but they said there was an outbreak on the island of Dominica so it might come by here sometime.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    Wow Indi, what're you doing up so late?

From your perspective, do you think this push for immunization is a lot of hype?
    I'm working on a major project for work. One of those last-minute opportunities that has to be addressed and I'm the go-to person. I would never work so late if it wasn't absolutely necessary.

Yes. I think the immunizations are hype. Most of the ppl I know who've had it recovered in 72 hours. But Canada has spent all that money on the vaccine, so what a mess if people actually decided they didn't want it, right?

EDIT - that said, I completely agree with Vash. Its really a risk vs. benefit decision.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Listen to whatever your OB/GYN tells you to do, misombra. You have different risk status than anyone else posting on this board.

As for my opinion, I think whether or not one should vaccinate depends on how healthy they are. For example, if you have asthma or COPD, you should definitely vaccinate, or stay away from people all together. the flu can kill you. If you are a health care worker, you should vaccinate so as not to pose a danger to your patients who are sick (likewise people who have regular contact with people whose immune system is already compromised). If you are a college kid (especially living in the dorms) that can't afford to miss a week of school, you should vaccinate. If you are otherwise healthy, and wouldn't mind the inconvenience of missing a few days to a week of your life, then you have other options.
    they said the shot they would give me doesn't have the live virus which is good. but i'm worried about the mercury...
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

over here there is a lot of hoohaa about there being no point taking the vaccine as the H1NI will be ready to mutate anytime soon. I've heard of many cases so far in towns near to us, but not around here as yet....my biggest worry is that my little boy is asthmatic (mild, brought on by allergies to pollen and dust mainly)....

so on one hand I've got people saying it will not do much for him,because if a new strain does develop...... and on the other people saying that he is one of the risk groups, its so confusing......

I am scared to death. I don't know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by CocoChanel View Post
    I am scared to death. I don't know what to do.

My school offered a free vaccine, so I got it. It's the first time I've ever gotten a flu vaccine. I've also never gotten the flu. (knock on wood) But I figured I might as well.

I remember being terrified of bird flu when it was all hyped up. I had this terrible, irrational fear that by going to Europe I was getting closer to it. I lost a few nights' sleep.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast