+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Planning on proposing- GF doesn't like jewelry

Planning on proposing- GF doesn't like jewelry

I've been dating the most amazing girl I have ever met. She is different than most girls. She is a tomboy and wears no jewelry except for some piercings. She has told me that she doesn't want an engagement ring cause she doesn't want to lose it, break it and doesn't want to wear it. She actually said she would just want to frame it and hang it on the wall. I'm a little more traditional and want to wear my band. We were thinking of both getting tattoo wedding bands but I was going to get one and still wear my ring. any suggerstions

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't like to wear rings on my hands either. I suggest if she tells you she doesn't want a ring, then listen to her. I never wear my wedding rings.

And I advise against the tattoo rings. Have you seen the divorce rates?

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I advise against the tatoo as well. As for proposing you don't need a ring! Especially since she doesn't WANT one. What would she like? Is she the type that would rather have an engagement present from you? Something meaningful? Could you take her on a trip and propse without a ring? Would she ever wear the ring on a necklace? Or why couldn't you get her a pretty ring, engrave it and frame it for her? Propose and give her the framed ring?

All that said, when you get married, you can both get rings, hers can be symbolic and she can leave it at home (wear it only for the purpose of the wedding day, and to have the momento) and you can wear yours and choose to wear it as much as you like!

Quote Originally Posted by girl68 View Post
    I advise against the tatoo as well. As for proposing you don't need a ring! Especially since she doesn't WANT one. What would she like? Is she the type that would rather have an engagement present from you? Something meaningful? Could you take her on a trip and propse without a ring? Would she ever wear the ring on a necklace? Or why couldn't you get her a pretty ring, engrave it and frame it for her? Propose and give her the framed ring?

All that said, when you get married, you can both get rings, hers can be symbolic and she can leave it at home (wear it only for the purpose of the wedding day, and to have the momento) and you can wear yours and choose to wear it as much as you like!

Hopefully I would never have to get the tattoo removed. For me marriage is forever and its the same with her. Worst case scenario they can be removed. I really can't imagine spending $4-7k on a ring that will sit on a wall, i can't even imagine $1k. The plan is that we are going to New Zealand for 2 weeks and that's when i plan on doing it. So carrying a frame around with me is out of the picture (sorry i had to). So as of right now unless I think of something, I'm going to do it with no ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightsdarkness View Post
    I'm going to do it with no ring.
    Don't feel down or upset about this, she doesn't want a ring, that's all there is to it.

If she has made the call that a ring isn't her thing, then propose without one. Its the act that wins her, not the rock.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

are you saying that you've planned your proposal with her? whatever happened to spontaneity?

I was going to suggest the same thing as girl, but if that won't work, how about a piece of artwork that would suit her? I'm talking like a large, framed canvas that reflects the way you feel about her. it's the kind of thing that can be proudly displayed and held on to, and there are a lot of different types to suit any taste.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Make something together. A piece of pottery or a carving.

I don't wear my wedding ring either, FWIW.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    are you saying that you've planned your proposal with her? whatever happened to spontaneity?

I was going to suggest the same thing as girl, but if that won't work, how about a piece of artwork that would suit her? I'm talking like a large, framed canvas that reflects the way you feel about her. it's the kind of thing that can be proudly displayed and held on to, and there are a lot of different types to suit any taste.

I planned when i'm going to propose to her. She knows nothing. I started talking about engagement rings and she said she doesn't want one. She has no idea when i'm asking or if i'm asking.

I was thinking of getting something that we can add to over the years. That would be ideal. Like a big photo album or something like that.