+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Shaving...

Shaving...

Hey guys, do you know how sometimes if you shave the front of your neck (your throat) it gets flared up and red? And stays like that for days? Are there any tricks to prevent this? Its really annoying and I know there has to be a way to prevent it. Anyone have any info? I do not want this to happen anymore..

I appreciate it!

Watch it happen to other people, and eventually watch it happen to you.

I use this to trim my neck area. No more razor bumps.

Schick Quattro Trimmer

I used to have exactly the same problem shaving my neck (my facial hair is pretty coarse). solution? DON'T SHAVE UPWARDS! I never get a perfectly smooth neck area, but I use those Gillette Fusion (5 blade jobbies) razors which do a very good job of getting rid of almost all the hair. you may have to go over it twice depending on how often you shave, but it's much better than having an ugly, inflamed neck.

good luck.

Switch to an electric shaver.. They take a while to get used to and the shave isn't as close as a razor but you won't get the razor burn..

If you have to use a razor then get some moisturising lotion to put on after you shave.. I think Nivia did one..

It's going to vary from guy to guy. I can't shave with an electric razor, and generally the razors with 3+ blades irritate my skin.

Lots of shaving cream and shaving WITH the grain should help.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Hey Neo is that better than the Mach 3 from Gillette? Like smoother and less irritation?

Sanctuary, I don't use the razor on the Schick Quattro to shave with - only the trimmer to cut the hairs on my neck. It gives the closest shave of any electric shaver I've used and doesn't cause red bumps. The razor on it is decent but the Gillette Fusion (what I use) is better for the face. I would say the Mach 3 and Quattro are probably the same in terms of shaving.

I use a Mach 3. The trick is to use a sharp blade and run the blade across your skin slowly, going against the grain. Hold it firmly and don't press down hardly; let the weight of the blade shave the hairs off. If you do it this way, you should be able to get all the hairs in one stroke. There's no need to shave as if you're scrubbing your dirty underwear with a tooth brush, this dulls the blade and causes irritation. When I lived in a college dormitory, I saw guys shave like that all the time, and I just couldn't believe it. It's like wiping your face off with mineral wool; it's ineffective and I bet it irritates the **** out of your skin. If you shave your mug using the instruction I gave you, you'll eventually be able to perfectly shave every hair off your face in less than 5 minutes.

Another problem could be the shaving cream you use. Try something different if the shaving method I suggested doesn't help.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 29-11-09 at 04:40 PM.

Stripper technique: (This I know works with lady's but unsure about men's?) I've heard from a lot of them (and tested myself with much success) using deodorant before shaving the down-below area. Just a quick swipe of the stick and it works really well.

Give it a shot, it may work for your neck. Also, if you're using after shave, maybe avoid it. Or use a sensitive-skin forumla of shave cream/gel if you aren't already.