+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What crappy job do YOU have ??

What crappy job do YOU have ??

I am sitting here, at work, bored out of my freakin mind, waiting for the clock to roll around to lunch time... and then I got to thinking - i wonder what all of you people do at YOUR jobs... So I started this thread.

I'll go first:

I work at Reef Industries ([url]www.reefindustries.com[/url]) and I don't exactly know my job title because I have piled on so much extra tasks that I cover more than 1 department now.

Originally I was hired on as a Data Clerk to do nothing but data entry all day long. The bosses noticed I get done with my work too fast and get bored and start playing games or playing on the net.. So they added me to the collating department as a helper. Collating is basically the mail room (not the junk mail, thats Direct Mail Dpt). We do small amounts of mail - no more than 500 peices per job - anymore than that goes to Direct Mail. When potential customers call into our job requesting more info we send them samples and letters and brochures and crap. Really boring shit, but time consuming to a degree.

Thomas did such a shitty ass job in the department I took over for him. He laid back and I would do the work and I got credit for it. I learned everything and anything about that department in hopes I would one day take it over. About a month later he quits. W00H00 ! The department is mine. Along with all his other tasks.....

All of a sudden I am manager of Followup (data entry), manager of Collating, the Tradeshow Organizer/Manager, and the mail runner - the guy that runs the mail to the building next door to be processed and I run everyones incomming outgoing mail to the apropriate people. All of a sudden I have my plate full and I am loving it.

My boss's boss thinks that I am doing too many jobs for the amount of money they are paying me, so I get exited thinking I am getting a raise.. Instead I train Karina to be Collating Manager and I be her helper. And no raise. So my plate is still full, and I am getting alot of recognition from the entire company - all the way up to the owner (the president too, they are two diff people). Everyone loves my work and they said they would have collapsed if I wouldn't have 'stepped up to the plate' when Thomas just quit. So this is a good thing for me..

So, in the mornings I come in to my office, enter all the leads from the day before. Then I go to the main office and help Karina catch up on her outgoing mail and making new packages, then when needed I go to my other office and get the tradeshow materials in order and send them out or whatever - then all thruout the day Karina and I take turns doing mail runs next door.

Thats about it.

So what do YOU do at your job ?

I clean classrooms and toilets at Secondary school (ages 10-14)

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    well actually my job isn't as bad as everything thinks. first i get to meet new people every day, i am constantly tasting new types of foods, i get paids an average of 15-20 bucks an hour and the hours last around 5-6 hours. if there is a complaint, i can always turn to a manager who will take the problem off my hands, and the managers are not that much older than i am, in fact i drink with them occasionally. when i get drunk at work, the bartender will hook it up. and for the most part the people i work with are pretty cool, they also drink with me hahah. yeah i'm a waiter,..it's not a permanent job, but just have fun in the process of getting to where you wanna be. raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

I have a lot of spare time to do this (posting on this forum) at work. This is because we work on a government contract and it takes forever to do things sometimes. To order an insignificant part can take weeks. To order major equipment, months. This is because when you deal with the gov there are all kinds of stipulations that restrain them from just going out and buying something. Things have to be bid so that the government shows no preferential treatment to certain companies. But it's basically some paper pushing along with some actual fun testing...I'm talking brand new, state-of-the-art, latest-and-greatest equipment capabilities. It's a satellite communications facilty.

But all in all, I'm not passionate about it and I don't think I'll be doing this for the rest of my life.

Freddie

Well, I'm currently in my last 2 weeks of school. Then I work part-time Technical support - the project I'm currently on in the company has me dealing with truckers from the USA who are having trouble with the internet/connections On the side I run my own web design company. Although I haven't had much work for it lately, but thats mainly due to advertising issues that I won't start on till i'm done school.

Evil School!!
    May not be on LF as much, due to unforeseen circumstances.
    Blame College and Homework for Everything!!
    -Fawn

MY JOB SUCKS TODAY! I am an office manager for a private dental practice. Let me tell you, they dont earn DDS for nothing, it should say ASS! Bipolar dentist at your service!

I work the front desk, AND 2 days week I do desk and assisting. Talk about running my ass off on those days! We have 1 assistant whose there the other 2 days, but most of the time, she doesnt know how to prioritize and we fall behind. I mean get with the damn program, I bust my ass 2 days a week and NEVER fall behind and have MORE patients those days.

I dont get it. My boss is so ****ing bipolar i cant stand it. He sets the ground rules, and then changes it like a woman changes her plug. I think he has PMS too for a guy.
    Oh well, such the life when youre employed by a person who has the God COmplex going on.
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

NONE as of today

I just got laid off.

I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend. - Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by jslaughter
    I just got laid off.
    ACK!!! Sorry to hear.

I have two jobs.

Mon - Fri I work at UPS. I load the brown trucks you see driving around your town. I work from about 4:30 AM to 9:00 AM those mornings. Job is VERY mundane, but it's easy work (albeit mindless), I get paid 10 an hour, and I get full benefits as well as tuition assistance ($3000 a year they will pay for my schooling) up until I hit $18,000 max.

Fri - Sun I work at Trader Joes (a "unique" grocery store). My job there varies. I could be unloading trucks, cleaning the store, stocking, register, etc. Good job (actually Forbes Magazine just mentioned it as a "great place to work".)

Both jobs offer retirement plans, both jobs have 401K's, UPS has stock options, both offer med beneifts (although I'll only need the ones from UPS), etc. Not bad.

It just sucks working 7 days a week. Total of about 44 hours a week. And I'll be signing up to be a part-time driver at UPS which will give me about 60 hours a week.

Rod Steele

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    slaughter, while you're busy getting laid off, loverboy is busy getting laid. raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional
    slaughter, while you're busy getting laid off, loverboy is busy getting laid. raverboy
    I would never begrude a friend any happiness - good for you man!

I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend. - Jack Handy

I'm a software tester, which sounds horribly boring but is actually really fun. And on days where there's not much to test.......i get to spend my day reading forums :-P
    [URL=http://portse.ipbhost.com]Keystroke Community[/URL]

i'm the IP manager at a non profit org for electrical contractors. AND i'm the benefits plan administrator at the same place. 40/hrs a week. *those are the official job titles i hold. plus i'm also an admin assistant at the same place. so all three jobs rolled into one. i have my own desk, not my own office, i have my own computer, not my own printer. i order computers, parts, supplies and watever else. i answer the phone when it rings past 1 and a half rings. i introduce new software and hardware to MY boss and convince them we need it to run more productive. once school starts, my company will let me take classes during the work day. that's what i call working around your schedule. i don't hate my job, i just hate the fact that i don't have anyone to talk to that's at my age. everyone here is in their 30's and 40's. the last job i had was as an AT&T Call Receipt representative. now THAT job i hate!
    "Don't be afraid to fail because only through failure do you
    learn to succeed." "Oh and be careful what you do...you'll never know who's watching..."

I love my job. I have my own office, my own desk, my own computer, my own printer, my own extension, my own email, etc etc.. I have everything except my own business cards... My work doesnt require direct communication with the customers. Its great. I HATE customers. I dont deal good face to face or over the phone with anyone. I'm a loner type. Always dreampt of a job where I didnt have to communicate with the public (i.e., grocery store stocker - or construction worker, or the job I have now, etc etc)

Most everyone in my job is also older, too, Panda.. But sometimes I really enjoy that. You learn a lot from some older folks. I love to hear their stories when they have good ones, and this one dude I talk to, he's been kinda like a mentor in a lot of ways and I've learned a lot from him. Not work stuff, life stuff. Fun times talking to Jim.

Freddie

I agree, I've always been one of the youngest people in every job I've had, and it's amazing how much fun older people can be, and how much I've learned from them.
    [URL=http://portse.ipbhost.com]Keystroke Community[/URL]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast