+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gadgets, Gizmo's a Plenty

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

I'm getting an Asus eeePC netbook. Going to strip Windows 7 out of that bitch and install a Linux distro--probably CrunchBang. Slap 2 gigs of ram in there. I find myself incapable of buying a computer unless I make some sort of alteration.

I do a lot of writing, so I have a laptop with me pretty much all the time. The one I've got is an aging relic. Weighs a ton and the screen is going bad. I'd been looking into Macs but they're just too expensive. I realized the only reason I was even remotely interested was because they're chic and they aren't associated with Microsoft. More I thought about it, the more I realized I only need something with a word processor and the ability to surf the net. Why not a netbook, then? Besides, I've got a solid desktop for everything else.
    Last edited by Gribble; 07-12-09 at 11:05 PM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

I've been itching for one of the full-frame Nikon SLR's, but keep forcing myself to hold out for one that does quality video.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post

I'm getting an Asus eeePC netbook. Going to strip Windows 7 out of that bitch and install a Linux distro--probably CrunchBang. Slap 2 gigs of ram in there. I find myself incapable of buying a computer unless I make some sort of alteration.

I do a lot of writing, so I have a laptop with me pretty much all the time. The one I've got is an aging relic. Weighs a ton and the screen is going bad. I'd been looking into Macs but they're just too expensive. I realized the only reason I was even remotely interested was because they're chic and they aren't associated with Microsoft. More I thought about it, the more I realized I only need something with a word processor and the ability to surf the net. Why not a netbook, then? Besides, I've got a solid desktop for everything else.
    i have one of those. except linux came with it. well, it wasn't a netbook, it's just an asus eeepc. i love that little thing and people are jealous of it and are always asking me for more info about it.

i don't know what the netbook difference is. but i have a wireless card.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If it's an eeepc it's a netbook. A netbook is just an extremely stripped down and condensed laptop. No bells or whistles.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

I haven't tried out a netbook. It only has Internet Browsing capabilities I thought? I want to buy another computer I saw but I need someone to tell me if it is any good. I don't know much.

Also has anyone purchased the HP 25.5" TouchSmart All-in-One 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, Remote, TV or know anything about it?

If it's an eeepc it's a netbook. A netbook is just an extremely stripped down and condensed laptop. No bells or whistles.
    that's what mine is then. no hard drive mostly, it works off my flash drive. it's nice because i put movies on my flash drive and i can watch movies on it in my bed.

right now it's frustrating me because i have to transfer my flash drives between my eeepc and my regular pc and it changes the permissions on all my files and forms. but otherwise it's a sexified little machine. i have to wear my super reading glasses with it but hopefully your eyesight is good. it's nice not to lug around an enormous machine. it fits into my pocket book and it comes with one of those airport safe bags.

i sound like a damn advertisement. anyway you'll have to tell me how you like it.

ps. are you sure you're not getting it because of those bikini clad girls in the ad?

coco, it has everything except a hard drive. but it uses open office so you can do way more than just internet with it. i visit with clients and have to fill out paperwork so i do on my little pc while i'm there. that's why i got it.

mine came with linux but it looks like the newer ones are using windows. also the new ones are shinier than mine.
    Last edited by misombra; 08-12-09 at 02:40 AM.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

I do a lot of typing, so I have a laptop with me pretty much all the time. The one I've got is an aging relic. Weighs a ton and the screen is going bad. I'd been looking into Macs but they're just too expensive. I realized the only reason I was even remotely interested was because they're chic and they aren't associated with Microsoft. More I thought about it, the more I realized I only need something with a word processor and the ability to surf the net. Why not a netbook, then? Besides, I've got a solid desktop for everything else.
    I corrected your post.

Netbooks are cool. I'd buy one for myself if I had more money. Instead I am going to buy myself a PSP 3000

Lolz doppel. Writing is not only the physical act of hand-writing, but also the act of creating written words.

Which is why I like them. They are energy efficient, lightweight, compact; minimal. If I got myself one, I would put Linux on there as well. What the hell distro are you referring to?

If it's not too late, check out the HP Mini 311. Of all the netbooks yet, it has the largest keyboard - nearly full-sized. That would be handy if you do a lot of typing. It also features a Nvidia card, which improves the overall speed and lifts some of the workload off of the processor.

Quote Originally Posted by lovesjoyajm View Post
    Lolz doppel. Writing is not only the physical act of hand-writing, but also the act of creating written words.
    And typing is not only the physical act of typing, but also the act of creating typed words.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post

And typing is not only the physical act of typing, but also the act of creating typed words.
    I know you're just kidding, because you're not an idiot, but seriously, come on. You don't "type" a novel. You write a ****in novel. Whether it's on paper or a laptop. Authors are writers, not typists.

Lord.

No, seriously. Come on. An author can be a writer or a typist. You can write a novel or type a novel. I swear, the transition of technological advancement will eventually catch on.

Does it even matter? I wasn't trying to be a vocab nazi, just being a little humorous.

No, seriously. Come on. An author can be a writer or a typist. You can write a novel or type a novel. I swear, the transition of technological advancement will eventually catch on.

Does it even matter? I wasn't trying to be a vocab nazi, just being a little humorous.
    Oh. Alright.

But yes, I still disagree. Writing is a creative act. Typing is not.

Why do you think writing is a creative act, but typing is not? They can both be a creative medium.

Why do you think writing is a creative act, but typing is not? They can both be a creative medium.
    Writing is not only the act of converting ideas into symbols on paper/computer/sand/cave walls, but also the act of creating or composing said ideas.

Typing is the physical act of pressing keys.
    Last edited by lovesjoyajm; 08-12-09 at 10:18 AM.

Both are capable of recording your thoughts so I don't see the difference.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast