+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More than one wives.

More than one wives.

Hello...

First, let me say something about myself.
    I'm single... yet...
    I'm a Christian... A protestant...

I am still young and shallow...

But I want to ask...

Can Christian have more than one wife legally in front of God?

If no, could you please quote some bible verses or at least the description...
    If yes, do the same please...

So far, I never see Christian marry more than 1 wife...
    But I always see Muslim(Islam) marry up to 4 wives legally and was courage to do so with widowed women.

But, how if some day I want to?

Thank you...

That's a huge question that's probably best taken up with your pastor. Polygamy can probably be squared with Christianity (depending on who you talk to) but it's largely irrelevant, since Christian tradition and culture is monogamous.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupacabras View Post
    That's a huge question that's probably best taken up with your pastor. Polygamy can probably be squared with Christianity (depending on who you talk to) but it's largely irrelevant, since Christian tradition and culture is monogamous.
    I am not a "church guy" but I wish to learn and know about this...

Quote Originally Posted by willy.white09 View Post
    Hello...

First, let me say something about myself.
    I'm single... yet...
    I'm a Christian... A protestant...

I am still young and shallow...

But I want to ask...

If no, could you please quote some bible verses or at least the description...
    If yes, do the same please...

So far, I never see Christian marry more than 1 wife...
    But I always see Muslim(Islam) marry up to 4 wives legally and was courage to do so with widowed women.

But, how if some day I want to?

Thank you...
    i dont know if it's legal infront of god. But it's against the law in my country to have more than 1 wife at the same time. 4 one after another is ok
    keep it simple

Self-esteem isn't bragging about how great you are. It's more like quietly knowing that you're worth a lot (priceless, in fact!). It's not about thinking you're perfect — because nobody is — but knowing that you're worthy of being loved and accepted.

"Me, I try to send this note
    float it like a paper boat
    But paper sinks
    and words are weak
    i try, but i cant speak"

Quote Originally Posted by valhensing View Post
    i dont know if it's legal infront of god. But it's against the law in my country to have more than 1 wife at the same time. 4 one after another is ok
    And you're from China? Sorry the flag is small...

kms is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Willy, you should just do a google search on it to get more information. The Mormons in the US accept polygamy as a viable option for marriage, and regularly practice it particularly in Utah. Polygamy is a common theme in the Bible itself, as many of the prophets and revered men practiced it (David, Solomon, Abraham, Jacob, to name a few). There is absolutely no condemnation of polygamy in the Bible, so the fact that it was practiced and not condemned is evidential proof of polygamy in Christianity. Monogamy arose later and is more of a Western innovation.

There are blogs online written by women in polygamous marriages that you can find via a google search. That might be a good resource as well.

In the vast majority of Christian traditions, no.

Most Christians would consider Mormonism a cult, not a branch of Christianity, given that they don't accept the Bible as their only holy book. In any case they have not allowed polygamy in over a century. Only small Mormon splinter groups still practice polygamy in the U.S., and they do so illegally.

I speak as a former Christian with some seminary-level training.

Frankly, from a practical standpoint, I've never understood the appeal of polygamy. Having one woman at a time in your life is crazy-making enough. Having two or three -- and dealing with the jealousy and rivalry between them -- sounds like a great way to drive yourself over the edge.

And you're from China? Sorry the flag is small...
    i'm from vietnam. That's y i suggest to put an alt to the flag. You can never tell where the other person come from
    keep it simple

Self-esteem isn't bragging about how great you are. It's more like quietly knowing that you're worth a lot (priceless, in fact!). It's not about thinking you're perfect — because nobody is — but knowing that you're worthy of being loved and accepted.

But paper sinks
    and words are weak
    i try, but i cant speak"

"render unto ceasar"
    Meaning Jesus expected y'all to follow the laws of the land you inhabit.

(It says bad things about your religous education and devotion that an agnostic Jew just had to tell you that.)

Quote Originally Posted by azilin View Post
    In the vast majority of Christian traditions, no.

Most Christians would consider Mormonism a cult, not a branch of Christianity, given that they don't accept the Bible as their only holy book. In any case they have not allowed polygamy in over a century. Only small Mormon splinter groups still practice polygamy in the U.S., and they do so illegally.

I speak as a former Christian with some seminary-level training.

Frankly, from a practical standpoint, I've never understood the appeal of polygamy. Having one woman at a time in your life is crazy-making enough. Having two or three -- and dealing with the jealousy and rivalry between them -- sounds like a great way to drive yourself over the edge.
    I don't look mormon as Christian.
    I look them as new totally different religion like Islam.
    Have almost identical history line, but totally different.

You are a former Christian, then what are your beliefs now?

I'm just expect the unexpected.
    So be prepare now even thou I'm not so religious...

For example, if a man have a wife, and he cheats...
    The new woman get pregnant and want to claim to become legal wife.
    By civil law here, it is allowed... But how would it be in Christian?
    What would happen to the man, the woman and the child?
    That's what I'm so curios about...

Let say the man is still single, marrying that woman is not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kms View Post
    Willy, you should just do a google search on it to get more information. The Mormons in the US accept polygamy as a viable option for marriage, and regularly practice it particularly in Utah. Polygamy is a common theme in the Bible itself, as many of the prophets and revered men practiced it (David, Solomon, Abraham, Jacob, to name a few). There is absolutely no condemnation of polygamy in the Bible, so the fact that it was practiced and not condemned is evidential proof of polygamy in Christianity. Monogamy arose later and is more of a Western innovation.

There are blogs online written by women in polygamous marriages that you can find via a google search. That might be a good resource as well.
    I've search online...
    And confuse...
    As in old testament, like what you've said all those big figures people have more than 1 wife at a time.

But as in new testament...

Code:
    KJV: www[dot]biblegateway[dot]com/passage/?search=Mark%2010&version=KJV
    NIV: www[dot]biblegateway[dot]com/passage/?search=Mark%2010&version=NIV
    It is an adultry... which is a SIN...

Quote Originally Posted by valhensing View Post
    i'm from vietnam. That's y i suggest to put an alt to the flag. You can never tell where the other person come from
    Oh, vietnam...sorry...
    I never know your country have such rule...
    What happen if that man do not follow the rule?

Quote Originally Posted by Heratriumphant View Post
    "render unto ceasar"
    Meaning Jesus expected y'all to follow the laws of the land you inhabit.

(It says bad things about your religous education and devotion that an agnostic Jew just had to tell you that.)
    That's when it comes to pay the tax...

You are a former Christian, then what are your beliefs now?
    I'm an agnostic. But that is beside the point; I'm simply saying, I know Christian doctrine pretty well due to my past association with it.
    For example, if a man have a wife, and he cheats...
    The new woman get pregnant and want to claim to become legal wife.
    By civil law here, it is allowed... But how would it be in Christian?
    What would happen to the man, the woman and the child?
    That's what I'm so curious about...
    Jesus said, "whosoever shall put away his wife, except for fornication, and shall marry another, commits adultery". Under the mentality of that era, women didn't divorce men; only men could divorce women. At any rate, presumably if a man were unfaithful, his wife could elect to either forgive him or divorce him. Which is pretty much the way it works, legally, in the US.

The Bible is silent so far as I know about any specific responsibility a man would have toward someone he got pregnant outside his marriage, but one would think that ethically he'd be responsible to support his offspring if the woman chooses to bear the child. It would seem the "Christian" attitude to take. I doesn't make sense to me that he'd take her as a second wife.

Why are you so curious about such esoteric matters? Sounds to me like you have way too much time on your hands. The truth is, people can and do twist the scriptures to prove most any point of view you can think of. The Bible was used to justify the Inquisition, and the position that the earth is at the center of the solar system. It's a fool's errand to try to figure out some air-tight set of Biblical instructions for any one situation.

skratchmo Guest

Oh, vietnam...sorry...
    I never know your country have such rule...
    What happen if that man do not follow the rule?

R you sure it isnt like that everywhere else?

You go to jail if you have more than 1 wife at the same time.

Seriously? In your country, you can have more than 1 wife/husband at the same time? Where do you live??
    keep it simple

But paper sinks
    and words are weak
    i try, but i cant speak"

First I thought you were asking out of sheer curiosity but then you wrote: 'But, how if some day I want to?'...

Why don't you first check if you can satisfy one woman before you wonder about polygamy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast