+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Present or no present, that is the question!!

Present or no present, that is the question!!

Hey Everyone

I have a question for you that i need your help on!!

Okay....please view my other thread "Please Help" to know my story, but the short of it is, ... I like this bloke that i work with, he knows i like him, i asked him out he turned me down, because he just wants to be "friends".

Anyway.....if you wanna know more have a look at my previous thread...blah blah blah

Anyway...both of our birthdays are on the 8th of October, exactly the same day, we both have the same exact initials....we are exactly a like....and he's invited me to his party on October 30th...a bit later because he's having a joint party with another of his friends.

Okay...now for the point of this thread!! .. SHOULD I BUY HIM A BIRTHDAY PRESENT?!?!?!!?!....I don't know if i should or not, and if i do i don't know when to give it to him, because i couldn't give it to him at work, because they already think we like each other, so we have to pretend that we aren't even friends :S ...

Please please, let me know if i should buy him a present, when to give it to him...and...WHAT SHOULD I GET HIM IF I DO BUY HIM A GIFT!?!?!?!

Thank you all so much for your help!!

Innocence xxxx

Erm, what do you mean you have to pretend you aren't even friends? What kind of colleagues do you have...

Anyway, just get him a present. Even friends get each other presents, what's the big deal? And just give it to him during the party.

I agree with what GBR said, get him a present and give it to him at the party

You should give him a present even if he was only a friend to you.

Nah. Getting him a card is ok, but a present is too far. Especially since you're just friends at work...

Never mind. Missed that he invited you to aparty. In that case bring asmall gift. Maybe something for the party too (dessert, cookies, something like that.)

Rod Steele

get him a card and a present if he is having a b-day party thats what i would do for someones b-day

Hey Guys,

thanks for your reply, when i said, that we have to pretend that we are not even friends at work, i meant that our collegues have been teasing him about us being together - embarrassing him, so we keep our friendship secret, we go out together with his friends and vise versa.

Our birthday is on the 8th of October and the party is on the 30th of October, well...its not even really a party, it's most likely a get together for 18 -19 year olds to drink ...

Okay...so i should get him a present, should i get him a bottle of scotch or something like that :S ??

Thanks once again...

Innocence xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Innocence

Okay...so i should get him a present, should i get him a bottle of scotch or something like that :S ??
    NOT IF EITHER ONE OF YOU IS ONLY "18 or 19"!!

In general, I'd say a gift is appropriate. Not expensive - keep it to about 1 or 2 times your hourly wage. Definitely not personal or intimate - no love poems; no framed pictures of you; probably not clothing (though something like a cap or jersey from a sports team is OK if he's a really big fan).

Not into alcohol so I don't know anything about it. But I think you should just give him whatever you feel comfortable with, though remember that the two of you are just friends. If you feel comfortable with a bottle of scotch, by all means...

I forgot to answer the "when" question -

Take your store-bought present to his party, but (if your employer permits) give him a plate of cookies or brownies at work on the exact day. Along with a friendly note along the lines of, "It's pretty cool to share our special day together!".