+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yoga

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Perry - I am in for yoga for a month. If it doesn't work out for me, I will consider something else. Thanks...

Charlieboy - I need to find a class without the silly chanting, the wierd animal grunting/breathing, and the "namaste" stuff at the end. I will sleep better at night not having to try to picture you doing that silly stuff.

I did yoga for a couple months, I was in rehabilitation for injuries and my trainer recommended yoga to counteract joint pains. I liked it, I even tried bikram yoga for a while, but to be honest, I have finite time and can't fit working out and yoga into the same schedule.
    I gave you my heart
    I gave you my soul
    Now I'm just another number
    at the Center for Disease Control

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Blah. I don't even know what bikram yoga is!

(a genuine beginner, I am.)

Omane padme om

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Isn't padme from star wars? hehe

Oh, probably, everything else is.

The force is with you.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I can't get into yoga, tho I've tried. I did tai chi for a few years, but I prefer the more active martial arts and exercise.

I even tried a couple Kundalini classes, Vash. Weird stuff; the postures were okay, even the chanting. But the instructor telling me my stressy work headache was due to my 'kundalini rising' and that I should wear a headcover next time to keep my energy down, didn't sit too well with me. My bad for providing the hint and coming up from some of the head-down postures. I should have left the class at that point, but my repressed upbringing about not offending a teacher kicked in. Funny in hindsight, but I wouldn't do it again. Same for Bikrams--makes me think of that sweat-lodge story Miso told where the people died from heat exhaustion.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

And also with you.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Thanks indi - it must be the Kundalini style that freaks me out, then rather than yoga. I will definitely avoid those classes from here on out. That instructor was a nut job.

Vash, I always enjoyed yoga and am considering taking classes again. I never got past the beginner classes when I went, but the yoga poses were great for strength building and stress relief. I also got nice, toned muscles without having to do crunches.

Also if you have bad knees (like me), some teachers recommend putting a towel if you're going to put weight on them. I even have to put a towel down to do those cat/cow stretches.

From what I know, you're never supposed to do a pose so intensely that it causes pain. Be careful. I have a friend who got a hernia from an instructor who pushed her into a position (not sure which one it was), and my friend didn't complain about the pain it was causing her. This friend also had an eating disorder which I'm sure contributed. But even so, I would always say something to the teacher if you're in pain or discomfort since usually there are modified versions of the pose you can do which won't hurt you and will still give you the benefit.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Vash, I know jack shit about yoga. I always thought that kundalini was either an obscure sex position, or a weird type of pasta. I do , however, know something about Tai Chi, and as a flexibility improver and stress reducer, it is the tits.

BTW, I had kundalini with clam sauce last week for dinner. This was right after my GF performed kundalini on me when we were doing 69.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Heheh - you're silly, Perry!

Starbuck - that teacher was probably a little annoyed with me because I refused to sit in the positions that compromised my knee stability... I suppose I am a little non-compliant.

I love non-compliant women, they are way more fun that the dowdy kind.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast