+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PMT and relationships!

PMT and relationships!

Any other women out there suffer with PMT/PMS and change completely towards their boyfriends for a few days a month? I suffer with it for only 3 days before "that time of the month" but it puts stress and strain on my relationship with my boyfriend. That time of month I get paranoid, tearful, feel like a failure and then boyfriend has a go at me and tells me Im pathetic and always asking for pity!

Ok, he could have a point, but its not my normal self or normal personality that is causing it and I spring back to my bubbly self a couple days later.

If youve suffered with this, how have you or your boyfriends dealt with it?

Thanks all xx

Oh yes, I used to get really insecure, moody, tired and generally just feel blah in the few days before my period. It seems to have settled now, but I did try to pill recently and it turned me into a psycho bitch!

My previous bf (together 5yrs) was great to me when I clearly explained to him the effects of hormones etc on my moods. He understood that I didn't necessarily feel in control of my emotions and reactions at certain times of the month, and once he understood this he was wondeful! Maybe you could tell him that you realise that you might be sounding insecure and irrational, but that PMS is very real for some girls and could he please be patient because it will pass... :-)

oh and maybe for yourself you could try taking evening primrose supplements - they're meant to work well for pms symptoms. I find exercise is a huge help too.

This is why women have been sequestering themselves for millennia during that time of the month. It's not because they're "unclean". It's because they're ****ing dangerous.
    Spammer Spanker

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I embrace these times..... PMS is the time for the greatest amount of clarity. The rest of the month, we are basically wearing rose-colored glasses.

I worked harder at being more aware of when i was extra nasty and tried various things to help me out - like more quiet time for myself, long baths, pain killers, etc. I didn't want to be a looney tune every month or every other month for the rest of my life and I decided if it was a big enough problem that my then-husband was charting it to show me (always crabby and nasty a week before my period), then I should take steps to tackle it myself instead of expecting him and others to put up with it.

I remember as a child, my mom yelling at us and being extra unreasonable, and then later saying she was having PMS. I hated when she used that excuse because she didn't seem to try to do anything to change it. I resented her for that.

So when my ex husband pointed out that he had marked the calendar for several months and noticed a pattern, I was at first highly horrified and mad - but then I looked closely and realized it was a week before my cycle started and thought perhaps there was something to it afterall. Instead of saying 'be nice to me those weeks' and making him walk on egg shells, I tried to be more vigilant about my own reactions to stress and whatnot. It really helped me to stay focused and pay more attention.

After a few years, I stopped reacting like that anyway. I think it only happens every once in awhile now, thank goodness.

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I enjpy being nasty and having an excuse for it
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don`t remember how it is, I have no periods since like...a year? I hope I still now how to use a tampon hehehehehe

All I remember that I was in a hell of a pain each time.
    I wazzzz here

I don't really experience mood swings. I have a lot of swelling (breasts and fingers), bloating and cramps galore and headaches.

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i dont have mood swings really, i actually find it hard to be nasty..i need to work on that!
    though i do get more loving and sensitive around the time.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

My current guy is really sensitive to what my body goes through. So much in fact that he asked me last week, "Has your period come yet?" I immediately stopped what I was doing, gave him bug eyes, and said, "Uh... what?" He repeated himself. He said that it was around that same time last month that I got my period and he'd been noticing it happened in the last half/week of every month. And he was right.

I had to miss the Pats game this past Sunday 'cause I couldn't get out of bed due to excruciating cramps. He stayed with me and played MW2 while I slept.

I don't really go wacky though. I'll get cramps and breast tenderness and maybe some bloating. Only in the last few months have I begun to get one initial day of sucky cramps.

I always thought I didn't get PMS, but after awhile I started looking back on previous months and realized I am a monster for a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I embrace these times..... PMS is the time for the greatest amount of clarity. The rest of the month, we are basically wearing rose-colored glasses.
    The optimist says the glass is half full.

The pessimist says the glass is half empty.

But the realist says the glass must always be less than half full because the water is slowly evaporating.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Oh geez.. So what you're saying is.. when my girlfriend is PMSing, and calls me a selfish prick, that's really what she thinks of me? The rest of the month she's just lying? haha

Im a guy and my current gf (we've been dating for a little over a month) was acting really strange for like 4 days and when i would text her I would get one word responses and she would not hold a conversation AT ALL! It was very frustrating and asked her if there was something wrong and she said there wasn't. Finally she indirectly told me that she was on her period and it all made perfect sense!

SO PLEASE for the love of god I think the best thing to do is tell your guy your on your period when you are and that you may be moody and that he should just ignore all the things you do that may ordinarily piss him off

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by shheadz View Post
    Oh geez.. So what you're saying is.. when my girlfriend is PMSing, and calls me a selfish prick, that's really what she thinks of me? The rest of the month she's just lying? haha
    Of course she's not lying. She just doesn't notice you are always a selfish prick because of her rose colored glasses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast