+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a Good Nights Sleep

Getting a Good Nights Sleep

I have a hell of a time getting a good nights sleep these days. And by "these days", I mean for the past few years. I think the problem is from spending most of my day at a desk, and not being physically exhausted enough to sleep like a baby. But I can't hit the treadmill for 4 hours just to sleep well.

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting a good nights sleep that doesn't involve pills?

Hrm.. I was hoping someone would have some input. I've been playing with the idea of meditating before going to bed. It's mostly an over active mind that keeps me awake. I've never tried mediation though, and I'm not sure it's something that can be learned from a book, or a website.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Did You try tv at night? Music? Boring movie, a book? Just lay in the bed and try hehe , it works for me ,not always but most of the time.
    I wazzzz here

*slaps head* Yeah, haha.. A book would be a good idea. I always find the most complication solutions to the most simple problems.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It`s always better to use some classic solutions than to eat chemistry
    I wazzzz here

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You still need to get some exercise, and besides, the thread about the gallery prompted me to go have a look since it's been a while, and you are a nice looking guy. The exercise will help keep you that way. You don't need to do 4 hours. Even just a half hour will help, but not right before bed.

Also, watch your caffeine intake for 6 hours before you usually go to bed.

Finally, have sex. Some chemical is released (for males) that supposedly makes you drowsy. (I bet it was some male scientist with a nagging wife that figured that one out. heheh)

All good advice. Especially the caffeine. I'm a total coffee junkie, and absolutely drink it all through the night. I'm trying to get back into exercising regularly, but it's one of the many hobbies that go pushed aside when my ex and I started dating. Getting back on that wagon can be a real b!tch.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Take up yoga, and then we can complain about it together.

I think my manhood would feel threatened by yoga.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Charlieboy does yoga, and he is masculine.

Actually, depending on the class, I have seen several men in yoga classes.... masculine ones, too. Maybe their girlfriends make them?

Maybe their hitting on all the really flexible women.. haha.. actually.. that's reason enough to give yoga a shot.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Finally, have sex. Some chemical is released (for males) that supposedly makes you drowsy. (I bet it was some male scientist with a nagging wife that figured that one out. heheh)
    I was thinking of posting this^, but couldn't. LOL. Fortunately nurses have few hangups about this kind of thing. Exercise is important too, but sex will probably work most immediately.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

It helps especially to develop a routine. My boyfriend was quite the insomniac for a while due to his overactive mind, and I think most of it was due to his refusal to let it shut down properly. He likes being awake at night. But at one point he completely reversed his sleep cycle and it left him really groggy and out of it.

What a routine does is it helps prep your brain and your body to shut down for the night. I have a whole nightly ritual that gets me ready. I wash my face, apply my zit cream, brush and floss, then take out my contacts. Even if I'm not tired when I begin my routine, I'm usually asleep in 10 minutes after I'm done.

Some people include reading or TV in their routine, or a nighttime snack. Yoga and meditation help as well. So, perhaps set a timetable for yourself. Like 1/2 hour for pre-bedtime stuff. Also, keep a regular sleep schedule. Go to bed at a normal hour on a regular basis and get up at a regular time. Your body's clock will eventually catch on.

Yeah.. I have zero routine short of brushing my teeth, and I don't have a regular sleeping schedule. I work from home, and it affords me all kinds of bad behavior, like sleeping in when I feel like it, or staying up especially late to get a project done. The problem isn't just getting to sleep.. it's staying asleep. If I wake up some time during the night.. That's it.. I'm getting up. I can't just roll over and fall back asleep.

I don't know if it matters.. but I'm a natural night owl. Given the choice I'd much rather be awake at night, and sleep during the day. I've been that way since I was at least 10-11. It really shouldn't matter right? I mean, being awake for 18 hours should make you tired whether it's day or night. But... my brain does seem to really kick in after the sun goes down.. So I dunno.

This also seems to run in my family.

Yeah, my guy is the same way. He just simply enjoys night time. And a lot of the time he works nights, so he'll either be done with work at 1AM or 6AM. It actually screwed up my cycle too because I got so used to sleeping with him that I couldn't sleep until he came home.

Sadly, business hours and normal human hours run from about 6AM to 10PM, more or less. Perhaps try to develop a routine when you wake up in the middle of the night. Like a snack. Foods like turkey have tryptophan which helps induce sleep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast