+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving a second opinion on dating locations.

Giving a second opinion on dating locations.

Question. When I suggest a place and time to have dinner, and she suggests something else, is that a genuine request to go to where she wants, a game to test me to see how easily I bend, or both? Is she hoping I'll be the one to choose a third location?

And if she does this, is it important to pretend to "hold the line" until she basically gives an ultimatum, or to give in right away, or somewhere in the middle?

Unless this girl has given you any reason to think she enjoys testing you,* then she obviously doesn't like your idea, therefore she came up with an alternative.

*Stop seeing her if that is the case.

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    why people play games or try to second guess each other is beyond me. Whats wrong with just saying what you mean, with no games. It really pisses me off.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring Haze View Post
    Unless this girl has given you any reason to think she enjoys testing you,* then she obviously doesn't like your idea, therefore she came up with an alternative.

*Stop seeing her if that is the case.
    That sounds reasonable enough. That's why typically I like to have a backup plan or two ready to toss out there, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123 View Post
    why people play games or try to second guess each other is beyond me. Whats wrong with just saying what you mean, with no games. It really pisses me off.
    You would think...but then again, some people don't think.

She probably just doesn't like your idea. Be a gentlemen and let her choose if she wants. Choosing date locations isn't something you want to fight over with her. That will just ruin the mood.

usually both. If it's not an intended test it will add up over time if you always bend to her will. This is easy to compensate though. You can agree but make sure details remain yours.

Example:

her: "I don't want to go to X, but let's go to Y instead"
    you: "That's fine, but it's further away so let's make it 8:15 instead of 8"

It agrees with her but you've also made the decision and haven't conformed completely to her request and you're both happy. Don't do it all the time, but it can help relieve that feeling of "I feel like I'm giving in to her whims" which make no mistake will add up over time if you always agree to whatever she wants to change it to. The important thing here is you retook the lead from her and made an assertive decision based around the new place she wanted to go. Everyone wins!

Cool. Thanks everyone!

One guy I dated last year asked me what kind of food I liked before deciding on where to take me. After we met at a bar we exchanged numbers and began texting casually up until our first date. I liked that he took an interest in making sure we went some place we could both enjoy.

Keep in mind, dinner dates can become excessive and boring. I really like it when the guy offers to make me dinner. On our second date, my ex had me over for pesto pasta and chicken. He made some creme brulee dessert that came out weird, but I loved that he made such an effort. I gladly ate it anyway!

Other fun dates are amusement parks, laser tag, etc.

My current boyfriend took me on a beach date. I'd never been to Del Mar (just North of San Diego) and so he very intricately planned on getting us up there on time for us to swim and play in the water, then huddle together in our towels and watch the sun set. I was very impressed and happy.

Quote Originally Posted by lahnnabell View Post
    One guy I dated last year asked me what kind of food I liked before deciding on where to take me. After we met at a bar we exchanged numbers and began texting casually up until our first date. I liked that he took an interest in making sure we went some place we could both enjoy.

Keep in mind, dinner dates can become excessive and boring. I really like it when the guy offers to make me dinner. On our second date, my ex had me over for pesto pasta and chicken. He made some creme brulee dessert that came out weird, but I loved that he made such an effort. I gladly ate it anyway!
    Being invited over to the guy's place on just the second date? I mean, obviously that's not a ticket for anything to happen; I'm just curious if this is any sort of norm or not.

*hopes that came out right

Other fun dates are amusement parks, laser tag, etc.
    Hm, laser tag! That's not a bad idea...

My current boyfriend took me on a beach date. I'd never been to Del Mar (just North of San Diego) and so he very intricately planned on getting us up there on time for us to swim and play in the water, then huddle together in our towels and watch the sun set. I was very impressed and happy.
    Damn, if we only had a beach anywhere near here...See, I could always use some ideas for dating places other than the traditional restaurant/movies.

Quote Originally Posted by phys251 View Post
    Being invited over to the guy's place on just the second date? I mean, obviously that's not a ticket for anything to happen; I'm just curious if this is any sort of norm or not.

*hopes that came out right
    Haha, I should tell you about our first date. Originally we had plans to head to the T (Boston) and charcoal (sketch) people and just hang out doing artsy things. We decided to forgo that and he took me to his favorite bar where we played Battleship (bars with board games rule!) and drank Bass. Afterward we walked to get smoothies at the local Asian market. In the middle of talking he got a call from his friend who lived around the corner. We decided to head over there to hang out and drink some more.

We ended up shooting Jameson out of the bottle and starting an RHCP sing-a-long. Both of us trashed, we huddled on the steps of his buddy's house, cuddling in the cold. Eventually we passed out together on his friend's pull-out couch, but not before making out for a while.

I like adventurous dates

Hm, laser tag! That's not a bad idea...
    Laser tag rules!!

Damn, if we only had a beach anywhere near here...See, I could always use some ideas for dating places other than the traditional restaurant/movies.
    I prefer unconventional dates. I would be totally comfortable stargazing with a bottle of whiskey. Going on a hike. I love being active. Plus, I'm competitive. I love kickin' ass at laser tag.

A true Gentleman asks the Lady her preferences, makes suggestions, then makes the decision.

For example, I was with two very good Lady friends over New Years. I have dated them before, so I knew what they liked in food. I then made a couple of suggestions for our Midnight partying place, they expressed interest, and I made the decision to go where I had already chosen. The evening turned out very well. Doesn't anybody communicate anymore? Instead of playing head-games, ask her as an individual.

Haha, I should tell you about our first date. Originally we had plans to head to the T (Boston) and charcoal (sketch) people and just hang out doing artsy things. We decided to forgo that and he took me to his favorite bar where we played Battleship (bars with board games rule!) and drank Bass. Afterward we walked to get smoothies at the local Asian market. In the middle of talking he got a call from his friend who lived around the corner. We decided to head over there to hang out and drink some more.

We ended up shooting Jameson out of the bottle and starting an RHCP sing-a-long. Both of us trashed, we huddled on the steps of his buddy's house, cuddling in the cold. Eventually we passed out together on his friend's pull-out couch, but not before making out for a while.
    Hey I like board games. There are a couple bars that I know where you can borrow some and play them to your heart's content. I have had a couple pretty good dates there.

I like adventurous dates
    Yeah. This gives me an idea for a new thread...

Any other fun, out-of-the-ordinary dates you can remember?

Laser tag rules!!
    Last time I played laser tag was late last spring. God was it fun!

I prefer unconventional dates. I would be totally comfortable stargazing with a bottle of whiskey. Going on a hike. I love being active. Plus, I'm competitive. I love kickin' ass at laser tag.

If the opportunity presents itself, I've thought about setting up a date to watch a sunrise. We're not just talking some plain vanilla sunrise, mind you; but about an hour out of town, not too far from this cabin I occasionally stay in, is a small mountain where you can see hundreds of miles to the east on a clear day. Though I am not normally an early riser, I decided to do this one morning.

It was without question the most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen. There is no close second.

I like adventurous dates

Laser tag rules!!

Wow, this is just making me think of all the things I could have done with my ex and she would have been blown out of the water. She would have loved to do every single one of those activities. I did barely anything and she still loved me pretty deeply. Damn, I need to step my game up and be a little more spontaneous.
    Waking up next to a beautiful girl,
    Step outside and say hello to my beautiful world.

Quote Originally Posted by cmacattack1 View Post
    Wow, this is just making me think of all the things I could have done with my ex and she would have been blown out of the water. She would have loved to do every single one of those activities. I did barely anything and she still loved me pretty deeply. Damn, I need to step my game up and be a little more spontaneous.
    I dunno what percentage of girls prefer the very demure dinner/coffee date. I've done those and they've gone well, but if a guy wants to impress me on the first few dates, then he should break out the big guns.

It can be difficult 'cause you don't want to jump off the deep end and freak the girl out. I try to make it known that I'm adventurous and that I'm okay with taking things one step at a time. Kinda like a "Let's start here and see where the night takes us..." thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast