+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Predisposed to sickness?

I don't hardly go to the dr unless I'm pretty much dead but I'm a healthy 23 yr old male...so I can fight off most stuff on my own. I think if you can you should...what people don't realize is that the more anti-biotic they take the more they weaken their own immune systems by not letting their bodies fight it.

Not to mention that research has shown that things like the flu are actually evolving and developing resistance...that is why so many medical professionals are freaking out about a pandemic being around the corner because at some point one will come which has built up a tolerance for the medication we have available, that multiplied by people with weak immune systems will just exponentiation the death toll.

The best medicine for most things are rest, liquids....and then rest some more....you body uses a lot of energy in fighting bugs off....if you have access which most of you don't I also recommend my mom's chicken noodle soup and 7up...as I said though most don't have access....sorry....it is kick ass.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by dewilliams2 View Post
    what people don't realize is that the more anti-biotic they take the more they weaken their own immune systems by not letting their bodies fight it.

Not to mention that research has shown that things like the flu are actually evolving and developing resistance...that is why so many medical professionals are freaking out about a pandemic being around the corner because at some point one will come which has built up a tolerance for the medication we have available, that multiplied by people with weak immune systems will just exponentiation the death toll.
    No. You don't treat flu with antibiotics. Flu is viral, and antibiotics aren't used for viral infections.

Also, bacterial resistance is not the same thing as having a weakened immune system.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

^^^...I said the flu was developing resistance to medications we have on hand...not specifically antibiotics.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Flu isn't typically treated with medications other than something to reduce fever and to treat nausea and vomiting.

You are talking about bacterial resistance.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

FDA site

[url=http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/InformationbyDrugClass/ucm100228.htm]Influenza (Flu) Antiviral Drugs and Related Information[/url]

About half way down under the paragraph called "Use of antiviral medications to treat influenza"

"In addition, influenza viruses can become resistant to specific anti-influenza antiviral drugs, and all of these drugs have side effects."

I'm not making this up, it is a serious problem we face.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Antiviral drugs are not antibiotics, and typically, they are prescribed mainly for those who are sick enough to require hospitalization or who have other medical issues that would be exacerbated by flu.. Also, what you are talking about now is viral mutation.

But whatever. You are right that it is bad to take antibiotics for the flu.
    Last edited by vashti; 08-03-10 at 12:00 PM.

You totally misread what I said...I never said take antibiotics for the flu...I had two separate directions in that...I mentioned that we are weakining our immune systems with antibiotics and that influenza is developing immunity to our varied medications we have on hand.

I'm sorry to argue with you but you truly misread what I said...they were in separate sentences...I apologize if my meaning was misconstrued or difficult to follow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12