+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Attentive lover or red flag?

Attentive lover or red flag?

I'm not sure how to take my bf's recent action, and hope to get some opinions that could let me know if I have a problem. I recently took a job in a remote area of the country, and have not yet established a support network. My bf lives several states away.

Last night, I let him know through email, that the cold I had been fighting had gotten worse and that I had a fever. I told him I was going to go to the doctor the next day. He insisted on having me set up my computer and turn on skype video so he could monitor me all night to make sure I would be okay through the night. He said he was going to stay up all night. When I said I didn't think that was necessary, and that when he does such things it makes me feel like an incompetent person. He said he could treat me like any ordinary person and just say "Well, I hope you feel better..." He said he does those things because he loves me. I asked if a parent who raises an independent child loves their child less than the parent who hovers. He did not like that, and seemed angry. At any rate, I ended up leaving the connection open all night. There is something about this that makes me feel uncomfortable, and I'm not sure why. Am I distancing him when I indicate such attention is not necessary? Am I being ungrateful, less of a partner...? Or, is there something else going on I need to see?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I wouldn't like that. It's just a cold, for god's sake, and he is treating you like a child. Are there other examples of him needing to parent you or treat you like a baby?

It might be his way of making sure you are OK. Would he do something like that if you 2 were together?

I think you need to see that your boyfriend is really crossing a line. That's just plain weird. What kind of man needs to stay up all night watching over someone on Skype? A kooky one.
    Spammer Spanker

This reminds me a bit of a couple I know. They live together now, but they started out as an LDR. They used to leave Skype on for each other day and night, and yes, even while they were sleeping. It was a little weird, but I guess it helped them feel closer to one another.

Maybe he's just not used to the dynamics of an LDR and he's doing things that might seem weird to try and feel closer to you. If it's really overbearing though, you should talk to him about it.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    He was probably tugging it ALLLL NIGHHTTTT LOONNGGGGG!!!!

It's a red flag.

It sounds a bit creepy, though maybe it wasn't his intention to make it so. Maybe he just wanted to communicate that he is a caring partner in this bizarre way.

On the second thought, DM may be not too far off with the tugging theory
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It depends on his intentions. Mbe he thought YOU would feel better. If he was seriously needing to know you were there tho--creepy.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Your bf is bonkers.