View Poll Results: Should Obesity be considered a disability?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 7.50%
  • No

33 82.50%
  • I'm torn.

4 10.00%
+ Follow This Topic
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Obesity

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by shheadz View Post
    I'm torn, only after watching the documentary Half Ton Son. The kid didn't choose to be obese, it's just the way he was raised. So I think it's silly to think all obesity is a matter of choice.
    i'm not sure if this is the same person that i'm thinking about, however, there was a guy from mexico that was over 600 pounds or somewhere around that range.

however, when it comes to getting this fat, i think that this is by choice. obviously these people aren't eating the best types of foods, which is due to either their job careers or their upbringing. he might have a hard time keeping extra weight off, but a half a ton isn't considered extra anymore, it's considered gargantuan.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

it's more complex because people are not educated properly about nutrition and the governments are turning a blind eye in favor of the conventional medical industry by keeping the people uneducated and by keeping shitty nutritionally deficient food on the shelves. letting the food industry keep making food cheaply by adding shit that tastes good and eventually every person will end up a chronically ill stat. that of course needs medication. it's vicious and downright deceptive. many people are slowly dying and don't even realise it.
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 23-01-10 at 09:10 PM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I disagree, eco. In my hospital experience, after a life time of obsessing about food, they know a lot about nutrition (the adults, anyway) - they just can't seem to get it together psychologically.

I wonder if insurance will pay for lap band surgeries?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Some people are just facist. Others are ignorant and some are just plain mean. I like to think of myself as confused.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    it's more complex because people are not educated properly about nutrition and the governments are turning a blind eye in favor of the conventional medical industry by keeping the people uneducated and by keeping shitty nutritionally deficient food on the shelves. letting the food industry keep making food cheaply by adding shit that tastes good and eventually every person will end up a chronically ill stat. that of course needs medication. it's vicious and downright deceptive. many people are slowly dying and don't even realise it.
    this might be true, but when the cop pulls you over for speeding, the excuse that you didn't know the posted speed limit never works. bottom line, if someone isn't too concerned to their health that they don't want to spend the time learning about proper eating, then i don't want to spend a dime paying for their mistakes.

raverboy

Interesting article. Kind of related. Whole foods is offering employee discounts on food for its "skinnier" employees.

[url]http://jezebel.com/5456561/weigh-less-pay-less-whole-foods-offers-discount-based-on-bmi[/url]
    Last edited by starbuck; 27-01-10 at 02:08 AM.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I wish I could show You the document that I watch at the moment. It's about the fattest city in US (Houston,Texas ). They try to learn about their lifestyle to find out why they are so obese. It's said that in Texas, 2/3 of people are overweight,1/3 are obese. That' kind of sad...

I found this video ,though. This should be a crime, to prepare and eat something like this...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA[/ame]
    I wazzzz here

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
    this might be true, but when the cop pulls you over for speeding, the excuse that you didn't know the posted speed limit never works. bottom line, if someone isn't too concerned to their health that they don't want to spend the time learning about proper eating, then i don't want to spend a dime paying for their mistakes.

raverboy
    every single one of us has a much higher chance of getting cancer than our parents. the ingredients are deceptive btw on every packet of anything out there especially the ones that say healthy. for instance a perfect example of shit: MSG (a chemical that can literally make dog shit taste good) is also deceptively known as yeast extract. not a lot of people know this and infact this chemical is found all over the health shops even on organic products. it's absolutely shameful and deceitful and a slow murder of the population. so NO people don’t know the full truth because it is very hard to to fully understand unless one educates themselves thoroughly. I’m sure even some nutritionists don't even know that one fact out of a million other product names (modified foods..soya...etc) that are the same story: hidden ingredients that are all linked to cancers etc. and lets not get on to the subject of fertility rates...all linked to foods and our environment. So no people don’t really have a clue at all because lets face it, there is money to be made from sick people. i need to move to another planet. this ones fcked.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by Pettit-Papillon View Post
    I wish I could show You the document that I watch at the moment. It's about the fattest city in US (Houston,Texas ). They try to learn about their lifestyle to find out why they are so obese. It's said that in Texas, 2/3 of people are overweight,1/3 are obese. That' kind of sad...
    I wonder if they're using the BMI scale to measure those Texans. I have problems with the BMI because I think often healthy but muscular people can get miscategorized as overweight, since some muscle masses weigh more than fat.

Here's a slideshow which sort of illustrates what I mean: [url]http://kateharding.net/bmi-illustrated/[/url]
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    I wonder if they're using the BMI scale to measure those Texans. I have problems with the BMI because I think often healthy but muscular people can get miscategorized as overweight, since some muscle masses weigh more than fat.

Here's a slideshow which sort of illustrates what I mean: [url]http://kateharding.net/bmi-illustrated/[/url]
    Well I don't remember exactly,but they were saying something about BMI.I just did 2 other things so I didn't listen carefully But I know they said that 40kg overweight is actually not a big deal there. So it seems like it's pretty bad in Texas.
    I wazzzz here

Over 50% of Canadians are overweight and I think it's similar figure in the US. What do you expect though when there's McDonalds and all these fast foods places within few blocks of each other?..crazy!
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I watched the movie "Food, Inc." last night, which did an excellent job of illustrating the link between the mass production of corn, poverty, and obesity which will cause diabetes rates to be 1/3 of the population born after the year 2000, with people of color having rates of 50%.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    every single one of us has a much higher chance of getting cancer than our parents. the ingredients are deceptive btw on every packet of anything out there especially the ones that say healthy. for instance a perfect example of shit: MSG (a chemical that can literally make dog shit taste good) is also deceptively known as yeast extract. not a lot of people know this and infact this chemical is found all over the health shops even on organic products. it's absolutely shameful and deceitful and a slow murder of the population. so NO people don’t know the full truth because it is very hard to to fully understand unless one educates themselves thoroughly. I’m sure even some nutritionists don't even know that one fact out of a million other product names (modified foods..soya...etc) that are the same story: hidden ingredients that are all linked to cancers etc. and lets not get on to the subject of fertility rates...all linked to foods and our environment. So no people don’t really have a clue at all because lets face it, there is money to be made from sick people. i need to move to another planet. this ones fcked.
    msg actually tastes good, and it satisfies my salt craving for the day. however, i do believe that you are right. you'd be surprised by with college degree actually included a lot of nutrition classes, which is why i know that these "healthy" foods can basically serve the minimal amounts of vitamins and minerals for the daily intake value, yet pack on huge amounts of sodium and sugar.

take diet soda for example.. they always will claim "fat free" yet, what is sugar?? it's carbohydrates which eventually gets stored in the body as fat. however, these industries have dumped huge amounts of money into the advertising business and us suckers get duped into it. it's sad, but it's true.

however, just because something says it's "healthy" doesn't mean that it will always be good for you as you pointed out. the general public should educated themselves, but what am i talking about...?? there is so many cut back and furloughs that have been going on, that even the "dollar menu" is sounding temping right now.

raverboy

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Diet soda doesn't contain any sugar.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Diet soda doesn't contain any sugar.
    I advise You to read something about Aspartame (E951) , it's used instead of sugar in those 'light' products...

IMO, We should eat as few chemistry as it's possible... And to be honest all those 'light' products aren't real. They are full of chemistry. I just prefer to cook normal food:meat,fish,vegetables...With a 'diet' like this, You can't be wrong
    I wazzzz here

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast